Reload this Page >

$110k...Is this enough ? !

$110k...Is this enough ? !

Old Jan 8th 2011, 6:50 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: $110k...Is this enough ? !

Originally Posted by colonel
Unless I am missing something from the outgoings, I think we will be quite comfortable....Have I missed anything ?

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/5...lculations.png
Funnily enough, when I can be bothered to sit down and work out my finances I'm always loaded at the end of the month... on paper. Never seems to work like that though.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

colonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nice

Same here mate !

I think the long and short of it is that we will live as we do in the UK. We do have some disposable income at the end of the month and looking at the figures, we will continue to have some disposable monthly income.

Obviously, if we have a mad month, then the surplus funds will be affected.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 8:23 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Same here mate !

I think the long and short of it is that we will live as we do in the UK. We do have some disposable income at the end of the month and looking at the figures, we will continue to have some disposable monthly income.

Obviously, if we have a mad month, then the surplus funds will be affected.
All we can hope for mate.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 11:29 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by joho
I have to be honest that I am stunned at how people stuggle so much. I wonder if people could break down where their money goes as I am sure peoples views on scraping by are very different.

combined dual income for me and hubby is approx 130k (he is full and me part time)

Take home pay is approx $8400 (wow that sounds a lot when you say it like that)and this is after my hubby's novated full expensed car is factored in.

We have a morg of about 430k
Out goings each month

Morg $2900 (slightly over pay each month and biggest chunk is 5.6%)
Leccy $180
Phone/internet combined $180 (i know a lot reasons behind this).
health ins $280
Car Ins $60
foxtell $110 (2 iq boxes)
house ins $100
credit (yes we have some interest free) about $150 (again over pay)
council rates about 150

remainder is $4000ish

Ok still have to take out food and general stuff but that is still $1000 spare cash each week to spend on shopping, other items and going out.

Jo
I too would think i would find it a helluva lot easier if our dual income was 130 as opposed to 90k and one of us working part-time as opposed to both of us working full-time

Last edited by Margaret3; Jan 8th 2011 at 11:41 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 11:36 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow....this thread is quite popular however, often off-topic !

Anyway, the troll seems to have relented and the above post is very similar to our COL calculations with the remainder of $4000 for food and general stuff being how we would expect to live.

We are a family who does not drink fancy coffees at the local tapas bar, we do not go to pubs/clubs however we may go out for an occasional meal.

Our main cost is going to be our house and we have budgeted $550-660 per week for rent. We understand that we will not be living in areas like Cottesloe or Peppermint however, from our research, places like Mandurah (SOR) and Dunscraig (NOR) are affordable and within budget.

Unless I am missing something, I am struggling to understand why a few select people on this thread are struggling to afford the cost of living. COL is subjective and people who live outside of their means are obviously going to have trouble.

Keep this thread going as it is not too late for us to change our minds !
I often wonder why we struggle as well, perhaps is coz we live in melllie, but i can assure you in six months you may be joining the 'struggling' also, and heaven forbit anything unexpected comes up, like a dental visit, Before we came here to live, i used to also think negative threads were bullshit, wishe i had believed them more than i did at the time.

Anyway am off out for a fancy $3.50 coffee

Last edited by Margaret3; Jan 8th 2011 at 11:42 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 12:00 am
ABCDiamond

We do have some disposable income at the end of the month and looking at the figures, we will continue to have some disposable monthly income.
One thing with disposable income, we can always find ways to dispose of it....

Old Jan 9th 2011, 12:05 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Margaret3
Before we came here to live, i used to also think negative threads were bullshit, wishe i had believed them more than i did at the time.
The problem is that some of them are, and people end up not knowing which are real and which aren't.

Then, following the 100% Australian negative posts, you get the Australian positive posts to show it isn't all like that.

Now if all post were realisitic ??
ie: In my area Australia is "whatever", rather than all of Australia is "whatever"... Things may be clearer. ?

Anyway just of to the shops...

Not sure they will have those bananas though...

Old Jan 9th 2011, 12:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
I too would think i would find it a helluva lot easier if our dual income was 130 as opposed to 90k and one of us working part-time as opposed to both of us working full-time
I get crucified on tax too - c. 40pc but the money is still good.

A lower income divided by two income earners perhaps would be better.

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The problem is that some of them are, and people end up not knowing which are real and which aren't.

Then, following the 100% Australian negative posts, you get the Australian positive posts to show it isn't all like that.

ie: In my area Australia is "whatever", rather than all of Australia is "whatever"... Things may be clearer. ?

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_hj8k2cqkmsQ/TD...fruit-shop.jpg

Is this reasonable quality? I'm no fruit gourmet.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_hj8k2cqkmsQ/TD...fruit-shop.jpg

That ad you've shown is very misleading in terms of how much things cost in other areas. I went shopping yesterday, it's possible that items are available cheaper elsewhere, but I shop in several different areas and never see prices as low as that, for example:

Navel oranges: $4.99/kg
Bananas: $3.99/kg (spotted for $1.99/kg at Claremont the other day)
Potatoes: $2.99/kg (but I never buy the Nadine variety, I'm happy to pay more for such an important food)
Sweetcorn: $1.99 (I only buy if they're under $1)
Cabbage: $0.90 for half
Milk: full cream was on special for about $2.30/2L - but full cream not healthy, so I buy skimmed for us, $4.19/2L, low fat for the kids, $3.59/2L
We've already talked about bread recently
Baked beans: $1.82/420g tin (Heinz)
Apples: Granny Smiths range from $1.99-3.99/kg depending on qualilty, Pink Lady $8.99/kg, Fuji and Sundowner $7.99/kg (no Gala available unfortunately)

Maybe I should drive for 30 minutes and give Spud Shed a try and report back.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 12:54 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Is this reasonable quality? I'm no fruit gourmet.
Normally better than Woolworths, although there has been the odd occasion when they weren't that great. I got some green beans the other week for 69 cents kg, half were OK, the rest went to the guinea pigs. But when Woolworths were asking $7 kg... I was still quids in.

Just got back from the shop, and to my surprise the Bananas were still 99c kg.

What I just bought:
Newspaper ($2), 2 litres of milk ($1.99), 1 kg of Red Apples ($3.99) and a loaf of bread ($1.40 made by George Weston Foods) all for $7.40

Old Jan 9th 2011, 1:02 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by HelenTD
That ad you've shown is very misleading in terms of how much things cost in other areas.
Not misleading at all, the advert does state MY area.
Too many people are misleading when they say that ALL of Australia is expensive, which is a very common statement by a few.

By showing my area, it does show that options are available and not to just pay the high prices, without questioning.

National Newspapers have also stated that by shopping around you can trim your weekly shopping bill by about 40%. Is that also misleading ?

Obviously if people have NO interest in shopping around, then that's OK. But people NEED to be told that there are options if they look around. And it isn't only in MY area. We found the same options when we lived in Sydney, I am sure these exist in most places.
Not everywhere though, especially in some upmarket areas, where the retailers know that they need not trim prices, because the locals are cashed up, and wouldn't be seen dead buying something cheap, no matter how good it was.

Old Jan 9th 2011, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

We're lucky to be on a good wage but still find my area (Sydney) expensive. I worked out that our rent alone would consume all the takehome of a $70,000 salary
Old Jan 9th 2011, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Not everywhere though, especially in some upmarket areas, where the retailers know that they need not trim prices, because the locals are cashed up, and wouldn't be seen dead buying something cheap, no matter how good it was.
The bananas are usually $3.99/kg, such as in Subiaco yesterday. Claremont, 2 suburbs away had them at half price, same supermarket chain. Both these suburbs are amongst the most expensive in Perth for property, but not necessarily for food shopping (the wealthy like a food bargain too). I will have to delve into shops in some of Perth's less wealthy areas.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Not misleading at all, the advert does state MY area.
Too many people are misleading when they say that ALL of Australia is expensive, which is a very common statement by a few.

By showing my area, it does show that options are available and not to just pay the high prices, without questioning.

National Newspapers have also stated that by shopping around you can trim your weekly shopping bill by about 40%. Is that also misleading ?

Obviously if people have NO interest in shopping around, then that's OK. But people NEED to be told that there are options if they look around. And it isn't only in MY area. We found the same options when we lived in Sydney, I am sure these exist in most places.
I agree, I reckon we could easily take $40 off our $200 weekly shopping bill, if we could be arsed to shop around a bit
Old Jan 9th 2011, 1:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Seems just a couple of years ago, oz sundreamer would post " Is 100k a year enough to live on an everyone would accuse him of bragging

Now its more how OMG how the the **** do you expect to live on that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.