Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$110k...Is this enough ? !

$110k...Is this enough ? !

Old Jan 11th 2011, 2:00 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: $110k...Is this enough ? !

Originally Posted by northernbird
You are kidding me right, kids that age would love anything as long as Mum and Dad are there. Try telling a screaming 11 year old girl that they will love Australia and they will make new friends.
Ha ha of course I am kidding. They haven't got a clue. i could take them to prison and they'd probably think it was fun. Hmm, maybe thats going a bit far.

But on that note i have to say kids nowadays have too much say. I am old school. Until they are 16 parents are in charge. not kids. They will make new friends and by the time they're 20 they won't even remember who they're 11 yr old pals were.

Too much pandering going on nowadays. If you tell them the decision is made and to get on with it and they know no amount of moaning will change it, they will get on with it. They are only young kids after all. If they can't adapt then no one can.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by northernbird
You are kidding me right, kids that age would love anything as long as Mum and Dad are there. Try telling a screaming 11 year old girl that they will love Australia and they will make new friends.
Ha ha of course I am kidding. They haven't got a clue. i could take them to prison and they'd probably think it was fun. Hmm, maybe thats going a bit far.

But on that note i have to say kids nowadays have too much say. I am old school. Until they are 16 parents are in charge. not kids. They will make new friends and by the time they're 20 they won't even remember who their 11 yr old pals were.

Too much pandering going on nowadays. If you tell them the decision is made and to get on with it and they know no amount of moaning will change it, they will get on with it. They are only young kids after all. If they can't adapt then what about the rest of us?
Old Jan 11th 2011, 2:04 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by itxrd
Mine are 2 and a half and 6 months and they love it. Yours must be old and have started thinking for themselves ;-)
You are exactly right.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=northernbird;9092256]You are kidding me right, kids that age would love anything as long as Mum and Dad are there. Try telling a screaming 11 year old girl that they will love Australia and they will make new friends.[/QUOTE]

I did and she did
Old Jan 11th 2011, 6:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Big fan of the OP shop myself, large collection of 50s and 60s wear, all from the oppy
Good on ya Jad...

We just gave a cartload of baby wear away. Someone will get there and clean up on Ebay, I reckon.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

airlineguy1980 will become famous soon enough

WHATS LAFHA?just wondering is it like tax break?
Old Jan 11th 2011, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

colonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nicecolonel is just really nice

LAFHA is "Living Away from Home Allowances" and yes, it is a tax break. Depending on how much you are entitled to, it can have a significant effect on your take home pay
Old Jan 11th 2011, 6:04 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by airlineguy1980
WHATS LAFHA?just wondering is it like tax break?
Originally Posted by colonel
LAFHA is "Living Away from Home Allowances" and yes, it is a tax break. Depending on how much you are entitled to, it can have a significant effect on your take home pay
LAFHA only applies to those on temp visa's.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I know people that work for us from interstate who get it - some are Aussie citizens.

LAFHA is for those who work away from their normal place of residence in order to perform thier employment duties.

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...tm&page=14&H14
Old Jan 11th 2011, 7:46 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wendy
I know people that work for us from interstate who get it - some are Aussie citizens.

LAFHA is for those who work away from their normal place of residence in order to perform thier employment duties.

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...tm&page=14&H14
Yes, I'm aware of that, but that really doesn't apply to most migrants. As far as most migrants are concerned, LAFHA applies to 457's ONLY.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 3:58 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
No, it doesn't. Those who work interstate or anywhere away from home for extended times can access it. And it does apply to some migrants in certain situations, not just those on 457 visas
Old Jan 12th 2011, 4:12 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Dorothy is correct, we first had LAFHA on our 457 but had to lose it as soon as you apply for PR. Our friends who now have Aussie citizenship too, have moved from Perth to work in Sydney and have rented out their house here in Perth and they get LAFHA for being in Sydney as Perth is classed as there main resident.......
Old Jan 12th 2011, 5:03 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Dorothy
No, it doesn't. Those who work interstate or anywhere away from home for extended times can access it. And it does apply to some migrants in certain situations, not just those on 457 visas
OK. Lets put this into perspective shall we.

I'm well aware that you don't have to be on a 457 to claim LAFHA but the reality is, for the people who are likely to be reading this board, that 99% of the people who can claim LAFHA will be those on a 457 visa.

Of course you could come on a permanent visa, set up home in Perth, and then be posted to Sydney and then claim LAFHA.... but how many people does that sort of example cover in realation to the numbers on a 457?.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

JBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dorothy
LAFHA can be for anyone that is Australian Resident for taxation purposes, thats visas, PR's, citizens

I'm a company accountant in the construction game here, your company will probably get you to sign a stat declaration and sometimes show proof of your normal residence.

Most of our guys are Fly In Fly Out from Perth up to the north west and they either get put in camps or they get LAFHA. If they get LAFHA then they usually are paying for their expenses up there which are astronomical.

PM me if you have any other queries ...

Wayne
Old Jan 12th 2011, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

JBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by colonel
We are a family of 5 (2 adults + 3 children) and I am wondering now whether the package I have accepted is going to be enough to live on in Perth, WA !

Working on the x2.2 rule, my current UK salary would equate to $107k.

I have accepted $110k which is inclusive of LAFHA so on the face of it, we should be slightly better off however, my question is how accurate is the x2.2 rule and is it a little conservative ?

Although, my cost of living calculations appear to be okay, I suppose my main concern is that we don't have enough money to live on when we arrive and get setup !

Thanks
Oh and $110k will not be enough to live super comfortably, but it will be enough to tick away on. It comes down to your lifestyle and other debts (mortgage, rent etc???)

If there is only one of you working, a family trust is a great way to save on tax. You can disperse your income to all your family members and use their tax brackets! But this doesn't always work so check with a tax accountant for your personal situation

Cheers
Wayne

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.