Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The $10,000 dollar week

The $10,000 dollar week

Old Feb 27th 2006, 5:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default The $10,000 dollar week

And its only monday

Son 2 quote for one small brace, correction to top row of teeth, $5300.

Partners sun damage to eyes, 7 year wait on medicare allow $5000 to $6000 final price when we see private surgeon.

Conversations about giving up private medical insurance after their recent price increases now ZERO
Old Feb 27th 2006, 6:12 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: The $10,000 dollar week

Originally Posted by jad n rich
And its only monday

Partners sun damage to eyes, 7 year wait on medicare allow $5000 to $6000 final price when we see private surgeon.

Conversations about giving up private medical insurance after their recent price increases now ZERO
Are you getting any of this work done via private health insurance? If not, why not?
Old Feb 27th 2006, 6:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The $10,000 dollar week

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Are you getting any of this work done via private health insurance? If not, why not?

We dont pay the $2500 a year premium and not claim vash. I'll personally go in and squeeze every cent I can get back.

So far tho, apart from the dentist all bills like X rays and consultants, have to be paid by us first They dont let you out without paying the bill, they do take credit cards tho, how kind
Old Feb 27th 2006, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

And its only monday

My kids have treatment at school dentist, sonhad some cosmetic, one of his teeth was chipped, no charge, do you not have school dentist.
Old Feb 27th 2006, 6:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by cranni
My kids have treatment at school dentist, sonhad some cosmetic, one of his teeth was chipped, no charge, do you not have school dentist.
School caravan does annual fillings and rip em outs only. They sent us the letter for private X rays and thats ended up as braces, none of which is covered by school dentist, do they cover braces in WA, I dont think so from what others have said.
Old Feb 27th 2006, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

School caravan does annual fillings and rip em outs only. They sent us the letter for private X rays and thats ended up as braces, none of which is covered by school dentist, do they cover braces in WA, I dont think so from what others have said.
I dont know, but ill find out.
My son had a chipped tooth, and she did a lovely job, i was so pleased.
And it was free.

Just rang school dentist, 3-4000 she said for braces, im glad i have health insurance.
Old Feb 27th 2006, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Seems a bit pricey for a small brace to one set of teeth. My son has braces and we were told by our orthodontist that he normally charges $2200 but as my son already had his we had a $400 reduction and just charged us for all the consultations. He had only had the brace for 8 weeks at that stage.

Jo
Old Feb 27th 2006, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranni
I dont know, but ill find out.
My son had a chipped tooth, and she did a lovely job, i was so pleased.
And it was free.

Just rang school dentist, 3-4000 she said for braces, im glad i have health insurance.
Our health ins only covers othadontics upto max $1000, we couldnt use it for number 1 son as he already had them.

We are with HCF and we all had a lovely day out at their dentist in Sydney, 5 of us all with xrays and 4 clean and polishes, 5 checkups, follow up for one son 4 fillings , other son, referall for brace , daughter nothing unless a stuborn baby tooth isnt out before her next appointment, me 2 fillings and to continue with my root canal , hubby ok. Total cost for the day $0. Total cost for fillings to come $0, total cost for brace to be advised by othodontis approx $2200 based on last son with some back off ins of approx $450. Total cost so far for my root canal $0. Oh and hubby went to there optomitrist for reading glasses at a cost of $125 for special lenses. so I think I am getting a significant payback on my premiums so far.

Jo
Old Feb 27th 2006, 9:03 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by joho
Seems a bit pricey for a small brace to one set of teeth. My son has braces and we were told by our orthodontist that he normally charges $2200 but as my son already had his we had a $400 reduction and just charged us for all the consultations. He had only had the brace for 8 weeks at that stage.

Jo
We got a quote last March, and I posted the following info at the time:

had to take my 8yr old to an orthodontist, to check her teeth out for possible future braces. The result was sever tooth to mouth overcrowding already, due to a small jaw frame and largish adult teeth coming through.

He advised that braces would almost certainly be required in about 4 years time, and that either 2 or 4 adult teeth would also need to be removed to allow sufficient space for the rest to to be accommodated comfortably. Consequently the treatment she would need would be above average !!

I asked for an idea of costs, and was told that it would be about $4,000-5,000 in todays money, but payments spread over the course of treatment

This was for full mouth braces, and about 50% would be covered by an average health insurance policy.

Old Feb 27th 2006, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
We got a quote last March, and I posted the following info at the time:

had to take my 8yr old to an orthodontist, to check her teeth out for possible future braces. The result was sever tooth to mouth overcrowding already, due to a small jaw frame and largish adult teeth coming through.

He advised that braces would almost certainly be required in about 4 years time, and that either 2 or 4 adult teeth would also need to be removed to allow sufficient space for the rest to to be accommodated comfortably. Consequently the treatment she would need would be above average !!

I asked for an idea of costs, and was told that it would be about $4,000-5,000 in todays money, but payments spread over the course of treatment

This was for full mouth braces, and about 50% would be covered by an average health insurance policy.
I would say thats about right for a full set of braces. scarey though.

Jo
Old Feb 27th 2006, 12:34 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

And its only monday

Cheaper to fly back to the UK?
Old Feb 27th 2006, 5:49 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: The $10,000 dollar week

We dont pay the $2500 a year premium and not claim vash. I'll personally go in and squeeze every cent I can get back.

So far tho, apart from the dentist all bills like X rays and consultants, have to be paid by us first They dont let you out without paying the bill, they do take credit cards tho, how kind
So you have to pay for it first and then claim back on your insurance?
Old Feb 27th 2006, 7:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by wargod
Cheaper to fly back to the UK?
No here they go to Thailand, :scared: loads of people (including our loyal Pollies ) do it, $15,000 of dental work here can be $2000 there.

My personal concern would be infection risk, especially given the distance.
Old Feb 27th 2006, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
So you have to pay for it first and then claim back on your insurance?

Yes it gives us 3 choices

1. Pay health insurance current cost X 4 years about $10,000

2. Dont take health insurance, pay the $10,000 in medical fees, AND a government tax penalty for not having heatlh insurance.

3. Wait 7 years for medicare (we have to pay the levy despite having private) and go blind while waiting.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 12:52 am
ABCDiamond

AND a government tax penalty for not having heatlh insurance.
For anyone not aware: If a family earns more than $100,000 per year, and does not have eligible Hospital Insurance, they pay an extra 1% Medicare levy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.