Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$0 fee credit card

$0 fee credit card

Old Jul 12th 2010, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of
Default $0 fee credit card

Did anyone see $0 annual fee credit card.

http://www.hsbc.com.au/1/2/personal/...-cards/compare
(left most one)

Is there any caveat in buying such credit cards (Credit limit is <1k that's ok for me). I am planning to apply for it as I can build up credit history without paying annual fee.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 3:36 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $0 fee credit card

Originally Posted by mpgrewal

(left most one)

Is there any caveat in buying such credit cards (Credit limit is <1k that's ok for me). I am planning to apply for it as I can build up credit history without paying annual fee.
there is no "credit history" for you to build up, as far as I'm aware of. As our American friends like to say, you're "good to go".

The credit card provider will look at your income and expenditure before deciding whether or not to give you a card, and the limit.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 3:53 am
ABCDiamond

Bank West do a zero annual fee card, so do St George Bank and Westpac.

Seems they are becoming more common.

The Woolworths credit card has a $49 annual fee, but gives cash back of about $50 for every $7,000 you spend on the card. We are getting back about $200 per year on this one.
Effectively Woolworths pay us $150 per year to have the card.

That, or the ANZ rewards card, with its cash back option, may actually be better than a zero annual fee.

Old Jul 12th 2010, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

Sorry for confusion, I meant to say to build credit history after purchasing credit card. That credit history which can be used to take big loans for car and house.

Pity that banks here don't care as much about your bank balance as about your credit history while giving you a loan Taking a credit card has become 'unwanted necessity' for me.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 4:02 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Credit History. Not quite the same thing as the original post but...I am lucky not to need credit, but one never knows..so I thought I'd take advantage of Harvey Norman Interest free to get on the list...took everything with me that I could think of for i/d etc. The one thing they wanted was a tax return!

Incidentally, it's not interest free as we know it..there is a monthly service charge. So I paid cash for the washing machine. The sales lady gave me free delivery (we are a bit in the sticks) as we had been mucked about by the credit company, G.E.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 4:07 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

(left most one)
Check the small print - i think alot of these its $0 for the first year only
Old Jul 12th 2010, 4:14 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark213
Almost certainly.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 4:15 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by mark213
They are bringing out lifetime zero fee cards now.

HSBC, Westpac, St George and Bankwest all do them. Not sure about the others yet

$0 annual fee for the life of the card

Old Jul 12th 2010, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
They are bringing out lifetime zero fee cards now.

HSBC, Westpac, St George and Bankwest all do them. Not sure about the others yet
HSBC one is lifetime. Another related question - Suppose I have my savings bank account in ANZ and I need to pay $200 bill of HSBC credit card. Will ANZ charge me anything extra on top of $200 when I make payment from their online banking website.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 4:27 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Is there any caveat in buying such credit cards (Credit limit is <1k that's ok for me).
You may have misread the product specs there MP. It's a MIN LIMIT of 1k, not <1k as you have written.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 4:37 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

That credit history which can be used to take big loans for car and house.
Not sure where you've learnt the above info.... it appears that you believe that the Aus system is the same/very similar to the UK system.

Am I right in thinking that you are making assumptions here? Or have you actually been told by a lender, that you need to show a credit history? If so, which lender?
Old Jul 12th 2010, 4:45 am
ABCDiamond

HSBC one is lifetime. Another related question - Suppose I have my savings bank account in ANZ and I need to pay $200 bill of HSBC credit card. Will ANZ charge me anything extra on top of $200 when I make payment from their online banking website.
No they won't.

Well, at least, most banks don't.
I pay ANZ and HSBC credit cards from either St George Bank or Westpac Bank, and have never paid anything extra.
I have also paid ANZ card from HSBC savings, and again no charges.

Old Jul 12th 2010, 4:48 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

(left most one)

Sign up for an NAB Qantas card. Annual fee is $65 however you currently get free membership of Qantas FF program (normally $82 join fee) and a sign up bonus of 10000 points - enough for a flight from MEL - SYD. $65 well spent.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 4:49 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the HSBC card is a lifetime fee free - I have one. Watch them though as they have a very short billing period. Stuff that I pay for and don't expect to see until the following month often manages to show up much earlier than expected.

I also have a Bankwest Zero Mastercard, which is fee free for life, and a Westpac Ignite Mastercard, which is also fee free for life.

You shouldn't have to pay any extra to pay off another bank's CC - Just use BPay from the ANZ bank and follow the instructions. I certainly don't with Citibank anyway, though I know that my GF (who is the with Comm bank) has to pay a fee when she gets cashback via eftpos, which I don't.

If they start to charge you for stuff like that it may be time to consider changing bank.

S
Old Jul 12th 2010, 5:03 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Bank West do a zero annual fee card, so do St George Bank and Westpac.

Seems they are becoming more common.

The Woolworths credit card has a $49 annual fee, but gives cash back of about $50 for every $7,000 you spend on the card. We are getting back about $200 per year on this one.
Effectively Woolworths pay us $150 per year to have the card.

That, or the ANZ rewards card, with its cash back option, may actually be better than a zero annual fee.
Hang on a min... you are always telling us how little you shop for at Woolies and Coles and now you're telling us you spent $28,000 in Woolies last year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.