Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy > Al Fresco
Reload this Page >

So much for happy, friendly,carefree Italian people...

So much for happy, friendly,carefree Italian people...

Old Mar 25th 2015, 11:11 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So much for happy, friendly,carefree Italian people...

Originally Posted by themajor
Straaaaaange..You are all moaning!
it could be considered unfriendly to come here moaning about our moaning about unfriendliness you know
Old Mar 25th 2015, 1:59 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

I had an Italian lady moaning last night but she seemed really happy.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 3:46 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duffer
I had an Italian lady moaning last night but she seemed really happy.
Oh Christ! You'll never change will you?

Are we allowed to moan about the weather today?
Old Mar 25th 2015, 5:23 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Oh Christ! You'll never change will you?

Are we allowed to moan about the weather today?
yes
Old Mar 26th 2015, 9:08 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

I hope the weather improves in time for Saturday. Opening day at Gardaland!
Old Mar 26th 2015, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Abruzzo-plenty to moan about at the moment!!! But I'm not
Old Apr 19th 2015, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Juvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond reputeJuvefan has a reputation beyond repute

plenty of brits moaning about the UK , not called whinging poms for nothing.
maybe the Torinese hasnt sat down in the pub much and had a real listen to the folks.

plenty of Brits hate the UK and look for greener pastures abroad too.

I understand the guy from Torino, he goes abroad and is excited to be somewhere new and sees the positive in his trip.. honeymoon period etc.
funny to read the quote.. so true for all foreigners who go abroad.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Yes I realise all that but it just struck me as odd as Italy and Italians are supposed to be the 'happy go lucky' kind of people and country but it's not that way at all, and never really has been as far as I'm concerned, and I've been here nearly 30 years.

Morning all.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 10:20 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

The most common reply here to "come va? Come stai?" is si tira avanti or insomma. Unusual for anybody to say great, fabulous, smashing day, super etc.
Old Apr 20th 2015, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
The most common reply here to "come va? Come stai?" is si tira avanti or insomma. Unusual for anybody to say great, fabulous, smashing day, super etc.
yeah that 'insomma' was one of the first new words I learned when I first came over .. it's everywhere!
Old May 9th 2015, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

Well, "si tira avanti" and "insomma" can be translated as "mustn't grumble" and "could be worse", expressions not unknown in the UK!

But shopkeepers in Italy are full of their own importance, in defence of their "professionalità", so less inclined to joke. Once in London I was buying a paintbrush and the shopkeeper said, making no pretence, "Do you want a quality one or a cheap nasty one?" A bit of self-irony never hurt anyone. So when I was buying a paintbrush in Italy (no, I don't buy paintbrushes every day!) and the shopkeeper asked me which I wanted, I said, "quello schifoso". Instead of accepting the joke he stiffened up and said, "Ah, quello economico".

Still, I'll say that if you're on a train journey you're more likely to get into conversation in Italy than in GB... in my experience anyway.
Old May 14th 2015, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

mmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond repute

You all live in the foggy North, what do you expect? In the South things are different in that respect.
Old May 30th 2015, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond reputesunnysider has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting thread i have just strayed across.

Am in london which i don't hide but italian links.

One italian told me brits are unfriendly but that i fear was based on a single bad experience.

Another told me they are miserable which was kind of ironic since she was clearly in the midst of teen moodiness.

An italian in london told me that he found the brits friendly and open and that he could sense this as he just anonymously walked towards them in the street.

My italian partner i think grew up with the idea that brits, particularly londoners, ignore the neighbours, but i well remember in the past being bundled from the car into her mum's house in case the neighbours should spot me. Very odd. I don't think i'm the elephant man.

I do, after years of experience, think that maybe the brits should ease up on themselves for thinking that they are supposedly less open than the italians. And also for maybe thinking that their family relationships are possibly inferior in some ways.

I tend to think that these things average out.

So, brits, celebrate what's good, even if we don't sing our praises much.

As for turin/plymouth, i like the centre of turin - maybe the quoted italian came from some of the less wonderful bits. Plymouth, I have been, left no great impression but wasn't it seriously bombed?

Finally - bella figura - despite its attractions to the casual visitor it does also seem to me to be a driver of neuroses/buried rivalries etc etc.