Pasta

Old Jun 25th 2010, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

Madonna Rossa will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Pasta

That looks great! Since you are clearly obsessed with this project, let me see what else I can find out for you.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 11:01 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

I'm going to attempt to make garganelli as this is the closest to penne, but without egg?

I guess this will be a case of trial and error.

I fear the shape will unfold while drying if it doesn't bond well.

When I've made tortellini in the past I've always eaten it fresh made with egg but did note some coming apart where it's hadn't sealed properly. I hope a higher moisture content will aid in the forming of the shapes. But will result in a longer drying time.

These were all rolled with the rolling pin with minimal rolling space, they turned out far too stodgy for my liking, about 3mm thick

Forming them was fun though.

Old Jun 26th 2010, 11:04 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Top down view

Old Jun 26th 2010, 2:48 pm
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Location: London. and visiting Italy when the Parmesan runs out!
Gio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud of

Looks great!
Old Jun 26th 2010, 2:57 pm
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Location: London. and visiting Italy when the Parmesan runs out!
Gio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud of

I had to make Capelleti, or was it Tortollini with my Italian aunt, there were going to be at least 20 guests coming for an Italian festa in her home. We were there for about 4 hours...end result brill, but a bad back. That aunt has died recently and I miss her. She was a great cook. Lucky for me I videoed some of it and I'm so glad cos she was real task master and it had to be just right and now I'll remember forever how to do it the Romagnola way.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 6:16 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

First attempt at Garganelli

We'll see how it turns out when cooked.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

angeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to all

This thread has inspired me, I am going to give it a go and make some pasta - sheets for lasagne, if a success may experiment with shapes.....going to find recipe now...this might take all day
Old Jun 28th 2010, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

angeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to all

Originally Posted by angeli
This thread has inspired me, I am going to give it a go and make some pasta - sheets for lasagne, if a success may experiment with shapes.....going to find recipe now...this might take all day
No, not all day, just 2hrs...proof will be in the eating...seemed an awful lot of egg...recipe said one pound 6ozs flour to 6 whole eggs or 12 egg yolks !!!! Have some dough left does it freeze
Old Jun 28th 2010, 11:37 am
Sleepless In Chicago

That seems allot.

I do 8oz flour to 2 eggs and a 2TBSP Olive oil pinch of salt.

Edit:

1 pound AND six ounces. that's about right.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 11:42 am
Sleepless In Chicago

No, not all day, just 2hrs...proof will be in the eating...seemed an awful lot of egg...recipe said one pound 6ozs flour to 6 whole eggs or 12 egg yolks !!!! Have some dough left does it freeze
You can freeze it up to three months I think...or keep it refrigerated for a week.

I use only flour and water now because I'm on a storage kick! Although egg pasta tastes superior to just flour and water, semolina has a very nice taste also, almost egg like when you open the bag.

Today I'm going to make Farfalle
Old Jun 28th 2010, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
You can freeze it up to three months I think...or keep it refrigerated for a week.

I use only flour and water now because I'm on a storage kick! Although egg pasta tastes superior to just flour and water, semolina has a very nice taste also, almost egg like when you open the bag.

Today I'm going to make Farfalle
Will try semolina then if I can get here... still getting my head round different flour here.

Farfalle should be a breeze for you having seen the photographic evidence of previous achievements.

Thanks for advice re: freezing.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 12:12 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

Will try semolina then if I can get here... still getting my head round different flour here.

Farfalle should be a breeze for you having seen the photographic evidence of previous achievements.

Thanks for advice re: freezing.
I guess my only credit is working in a pastry environment gives you some what of a head start when it comes to working with the dough.

The only problem I'm having is finding information on Flour and Water ONLY dough. Maybe the big dried pasta companies are keeping it off the internet

The Garganelli took about 20 hours I'd say to dry completely!
Old Jun 28th 2010, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

I guess my only credit is working in a pastry environment gives you some what of a head start when it comes to working with the dough.

The only problem I'm having is finding information on Flour and Water ONLY dough. Maybe the big dried pasta companies are keeping it off the internet

The Garganelli took about 20 hours I'd say to dry completely!
In Jamie Oliver's 'Jamie's Italy', he has recipe for flour and water pasta 1lb, finely ground semolina flour to approx 200ml water...is that what you're making...

Now I understand....a pastry chef...that accounts for the creativity and flair and dedication
Old Jun 28th 2010, 1:05 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

In Jamie Oliver's 'Jamie's Italy', he has recipe for flour and water pasta 1lb, finely ground semolina flour to approx 200ml water...is that what you're making...

Now I understand....a pastry chef...that accounts for the creativity and flair and dedication
I never said Chef, a Chef wouldn't work with a 50lb pastry ball

No, I'm not using his recipe, I work in cup's and ounces anyway being in yankville, I use 2 cups (8oz) of flour and 1/2 cup of water and then olive oil.

My dedication is knowing what's in my daughters food.

Let us know how your pasta turns out!
Old Jun 28th 2010, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

I never said Chef, a Chef wouldn't work with a 50lb pastry ball

No, I'm not using his recipe, I work in cup's and ounces anyway being in yankville, I use 2 cups (8oz) of flour and 1/2 cup of water and then olive oil.

My dedication is knowing what's in my daughters food.

Let us know how your pasta turns out!
Pasta was good but could be improved....Think next batch will be the cholesterol killer (12 egg yolks) or rather 6 as will only make half the quantity.... was alot of pasta and eyes bigger than tummy...never a good thing.... Enjoyed making it and as you say nice to know whats in it (no additives). Unsure about drying.....or what number to set machine on for different pasta'a, will research more on google.

Hows the farfalle production line going....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.