Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy > Al Fresco
Reload this Page >

OMG! I have a baby bat in the house.

OMG! I have a baby bat in the house.

Old Jul 9th 2010, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

angeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to all
Default Re: OMG! I have a baby bat in the house.

Fact...bats can eat up to 2000 mozzies each in the night, just learnt that from friend, she is ordering 5 boxes, wants two for herself and friends chipping in for the others...v reasonable about 10 euros a pop...Can put up site if anyone interested... In uk we had bats nest under out porch every year....could see them hanging between wall and frame of porch and their droppings always landed on doorstep
Old Jul 10th 2010, 1:22 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Went round the market and then to the bar. Told the barman and his wife about 'my' bat.

The barman said they are awful and he would have squished it as soon as look at it. They couldn't believe that they are a protected species back home and told me that they certainly aren't here.

Google just told me they've been protected in Italy since 1939. Mind you, should I believe everything I read.

Must have been a relief to see it had gone in the morning.

I'd love to go on a bat watch . I'll maybe try and organise that the next time we can get back for a visit. I hale from Dorset , so it should be possible. I've also wanted to go badger watching too.

There are bats in New Zealand. They are New Zealand's only native land mammal but are endangered. The chances of my seeing a bat here, unless on a serious tramp into the bush , is unlikely.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 3:16 am
Banned

bricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nice

some old wives tales are true like whistling hedgehogs as you know, so are bats caught in peoples hair, seen it, most so called myths have some basis, bats I am not keen personally, the bats that lived near us as kid used to dive bomb and my nan got one caught in hair net
Old Jul 10th 2010, 6:38 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS

Google just told me they've been protected in Italy since 1939. Mind you, should I believe everything I read.

Must have been a relief to see it had gone in the morning.

I'd love to go on a bat watch . I'll maybe try and organise that the next time we can get back for a visit. I hale from Dorset , so it should be possible. I've also wanted to go badger watching too.

There are bats in New Zealand. They are New Zealand's only native land mammal but are endangered. The chances of my seeing a bat here, unless on a serious tramp into the bush , is unlikely.
Soembody else on the forum pointed that out to me as well but the barman wasn't the only Italian to tell me I should have just whacked it.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Soembody else on the forum pointed that out to me as well but the barman wasn't the only Italian to tell me I should have just whacked it.
I'm not sure the Italians follow such things do they??!!
Old Jul 10th 2010, 9:49 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

But this is a country that eats song birds and abandons its pets when going on holiday...believe it...