Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy > Al Fresco
Reload this Page >

Letter from the U.K.

Letter from the U.K.

Old Jun 25th 2010, 2:36 pm
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Location: London. and visiting Italy when the Parmesan runs out!
Gio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud of
Default Letter from the U.K.

I thought I might do a bit of an "Alistair Cooke type" thing. You know, from across the channel. Although no longer there and am here it might be amusing, boring, informative, or .....not. I still wanna be a part of this forum so that's why I put it in here.
Anyway, what's to say about here....weather bloody hot, football mania, tennis mania, everyone is eating strawberries and Prosecco (costo molto) cos it's summer....., parks are full of young and old pic-nicking like I've never known before...traffic at a stand still, rush hour now lasts nearly all day. Flats to rent are non existent and the prices are high. A one bedder, enough to swing a cat round in, just, costs £850-950 a month! Costa living here Costa lot.
You know, I just can't get over not being able to sleep at night cos it's just too darn hot & here's me thinking I'd escaped all that!

Last edited by Gio; Jun 25th 2010 at 2:39 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 2:40 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Letter from the U.K.

That's funny about the heat! But don't forget - give it two weeks and you'll be wishing it was hot again!!

Did you have somewhere to go back to in the UK, just in case, then?
Old Jun 25th 2010, 2:50 pm
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Gio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud of

No. Been sleeping on the streets
Old Jun 25th 2010, 3:36 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, poor you! How's finding cheap booze and cardboard boxes then? No penny markets in centro Londra!! Place of choice for our local tramps..
Old Jun 26th 2010, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

angeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Gio
I thought I might do a bit of an "Alistair Cooke type" thing. You know, from across the channel. Although no longer there and am here it might be amusing, boring, informative, or .....not. I still wanna be a part of this forum so that's why I put it in here.
Anyway, what's to say about here....weather bloody hot, football mania, tennis mania, everyone is eating strawberries and Prosecco (costo molto) cos it's summer....., parks are full of young and old pic-nicking like I've never known before...traffic at a stand still, rush hour now lasts nearly all day. Flats to rent are non existent and the prices are high. A one bedder, enough to swing a cat round in, just, costs £850-950 a month! Costa living here Costa lot.
You know, I just can't get over not being able to sleep at night cos it's just too darn hot & here's me thinking I'd escaped all that!
Thats funny, the weather report, as TR says, make the most of it.....Just read a short story about a street dweller who committed a crime every Oct' that always put him inside for 6 months where he was guaranteed 3 meals a day and a cell with central heating....now there's a thought Gio, make the most of the fine weather and save a bob or two c/o her majesty in the winter months...but then maybe not if you made a 50% profit on sale of house here...where abouts was house....mine is in Marche in the mountains.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 9:08 am
Gio
BE Enthusiast

In the mountains too..... well 40 mins to sea and 40 mins to mountains & I would add a photo but I am just too stupid to work out how!
Taken on board your idea of winter accomodation....
Old Jun 26th 2010, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

angeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Gio
In the mountains too..... well 40 mins to sea and 40 mins to mountains & I would add a photo but I am just too stupid to work out how!
Taken on board your idea of winter accomodation....
Had 48hrs of continuous rain here during the week so mastered the art of adding photo onto here....if interested put one on Gardening by post earlier this weel...view towards big mountains from gardino.....does it look familiar....
Old Jun 26th 2010, 2:36 pm
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by angeli
Had 48hrs of continuous rain here during the week so mastered the art of adding photo onto here....if interested put one on Gardening by post earlier this weel...view towards big mountains from gardino.....does it look familiar....
Looks like the Sibillini...is it? So....how did yer do it then? Give us a clue.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 2:45 pm
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Phew...no I mean literally PHEWWWWWWWWWW!!!! It is so bloody hot here. And, it's every day. I feel like I'm in Italy only they all suddenly can talk in my language, but it's great I can listen in on conversations, explain what I want in shops and everyone understands, nearly. But, back to the weather. It is unbelievable how darn hot it is. All week, in fact the week before were not bad either. The tan is as good as it got in Italy, you know, the without really kinda trying tan.
And, I have been visiting the parks and garden centres and it's truly amazing the plants I had difficulty growing in Italy are abundant here, and some I though would not grow here do. Basil and tomato plants, aubergine and courgette merrily growing away here. Well, I suppose London has a good climate

Just noticed the Senior membership, not sure I like senior....
Old Jun 26th 2010, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gio
Looks like the Sibillini...is it? So....how did yer do it then? Give us a clue.
Yeh, is Sibillini.....To do photo is easy.....she says.... First step, go to photobucket and become member its free.......Once member I will guide you or give directions as I was...and hey presto...a result glad sun is still shining for you, it is here too so am enjoying
Old Jun 26th 2010, 4:11 pm
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Will do...
We nearly bought in Sant Angelo in Potano and Gualdo area.....wish we had
Old Jun 26th 2010, 4:31 pm
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by angeli
Yeh, is Sibillini.....To do photo is easy.....she says.... First step, go to photobucket and become member its free.......Once member I will guide you or give directions as I was...and hey presto...a result glad sun is still shining for you, it is here too so am enjoying

Yes ....done it. now what?
Old Jun 26th 2010, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gio
Yes ....done it. now what?
Ok, I am just a girl so bear or bare with me when it comes to techno....
Look for big green square that says upload pics and vids
click on it.....window opens to pics, click on it, will do it in seconds...ha ha, window appears saying add description....do ....if you can and save....
Pic should then be thumbnail below it says amongst other things Share
Copy the image code
then go to forum as per normal and paste.....it does work believe me but if no joy look at Bricwoods instructions to me was either Gardening by post or Roots and Shoots......I managed but only hae dial up here 2 k's out of 'Gualdo' !!!!
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 7:31 am
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Angeli. Rather late replying busy watching the tennis and drinking Pimms on the patio!
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gio
Thanks Angeli. Rather late replying busy watching the tennis and drinking Pimms on the patio!
But have you cracked it....the photo thing....post a picture of you on the patio. watching tennis drinking Pimms and eating strawberries and cream...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.