Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy > Al Fresco
Reload this Page >

Does anyone else speak 'Italish'?

Does anyone else speak 'Italish'?

Old Nov 30th 2011, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

InBoccaAlLupo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does anyone else speak 'Italish'?

I was in the market and wanted a bunch of grapes but couldn't think of the Italian word for bunch so actually said "buncho"!!
Then the other day I had to speak to a very patient woman in a service centre about my washing machine making a weird sound. When I tried to describe the sound it was making I wanted to say 'a metallic sound' in Italian, but I couldn't think of the word for metallic so just said "metallica"!! The woman must have thought she had some mad english woman on the other end of the phone saying she can hear Metallica playing in her washing machine! ....although wouldn't that be novel if washing machines played music.

Maybe one day I'll get the hang of this language.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

sunnyjt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Does anyone else speak 'Italish'?

Ha! That is SO funny!

I completely understand. Since moving here, I have become the most antimated sound-machine ever. If I can't explain something, I find myself doing some bizarre rendition of charades with sound effects!
Old Dec 16th 2011, 12:15 am
Just Joined

Sam C is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, but its also amazing how many times you can stick an "O" or an "i" on the end of a fairly complex english word and hit the Italian equivalent bulls eye !

For instance i was in conversation and i was trying to explain different dialects, and hey presto i blathered out Accento =Accent.......obviously i was immediatly understood so its always worth a try is good old "italish !"
Old Dec 16th 2011, 8:26 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone scream out 'Ieeeee, f#@*ing m#rda!'

instead of 'Ouch!'?

Or is it just me?
Old Dec 16th 2011, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Sam C
Yes, but its also amazing how many times you can stick an "O" or an "i" on the end of a fairly complex english word and hit the Italian equivalent bulls eye !

For instance i was in conversation and i was trying to explain different dialects, and hey presto i blathered out Accento =Accent.......obviously i was immediatly understood so its always worth a try is good old "italish !"
Or what else you can do if you can't think of the word in Italian is just blatantly say it in English. Believe me they won't dare ask what you mean for fear of showing themselves up!l They would have to admit they didn't know it was chic to say that word in English nowadays or confess to their limited knowledge of English. It reminds me of my first "incontro famiglia" when my 6 year old son's teacher told me he was a "monello". I just smiled and went home and looked it up in the dictionary! He's 25 now without permanent damage.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

I do it all the time. The kids tell me that I occasionally pop a 'so' into my sentences in Italian without even thinking about it..... I was sure I said 'allora' but who knows!! We still say 'Andbago' from when we first moved and I was trying to speak Italian all the time, even in the house..... that phase lasted about two weeks! We also say 'Spugna' for a spoon.....which is obviously weird and we 'ci cuddliamo!' I think it's been great for my kids to speak two languages as they are so creative even if they don't always mean to be.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 1:00 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

cuddliamo - that's cute.
Reminds me of Alex when he mixed up hug and cuddle and asked me for some huggles.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 8:17 am
Banned

bricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nice

I have a worse problem, I go in shops and people speak to me in English before I open my mouth, I must look very foreign, I had neutral clothes on yesterday a nice black cashmere overcoat nice trousers I bought in Vicenza, all I said was tre as I bought three bags of compost and he talked to me in English, when this first happened in a shop I thought its my name, but Italian bank card has no name on it, I wonder if my details come up on screen?
Old Feb 1st 2012, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

pugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the roughpugliese is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by bricwood
I have a worse problem, I go in shops and people speak to me in English before I open my mouth, I must look very foreign, I had neutral clothes on yesterday a nice black cashmere overcoat nice trousers I bought in Vicenza, all I said was tre as I bought three bags of compost and he talked to me in English, when this first happened in a shop I thought its my name, but Italian bank card has no name on it, I wonder if my details come up on screen?
The shopkeeper probably knows more about you than you do!
Old Feb 1st 2012, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

Same happens to me.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Cashmere Kate is just really niceCashmere Kate is just really niceCashmere Kate is just really niceCashmere Kate is just really niceCashmere Kate is just really niceCashmere Kate is just really niceCashmere Kate is just really niceCashmere Kate is just really nice

Originally Posted by Margaret M
Same happens to me.
The same often happens to my husband when he's in a touristy place. And he's Italian!

Although we speak Italian together, we always say certain words in English, like cuddle and pudding!
Old Feb 1st 2012, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

on second thoughts Bricwood, maybe it was the clothes. I can't immagine many Italians going to buy compost in nice trousers and a black cashmere coat, but good on you for shopping in style
Old Feb 1st 2012, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pugliese
on second thoughts Bricwood, maybe it was the clothes. I can't immagine many Italians going to buy compost in nice trousers and a black cashmere coat, but good on you for shopping in style
move to Parma - you'll fit right in
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 4:37 am
Banned

bricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nicebricwood is just really nice

I wear a Kashmir overcoat as its the only warm thing I have to go out in, most people wear parkas here, I am not sinking to looking like a reject from Oasis
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I didn't know I looked like a reject from Oasis.
What is 'Oasis' anyway? I mean apart from being a place with water in a desert.
ciao for now.
'o nonno

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.