Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy > Al Fresco
Reload this Page >

Cushy numbers in Italy numbers 1 & 2: 'Notai' and 'Bidelli'

Cushy numbers in Italy numbers 1 & 2: 'Notai' and 'Bidelli'

Old Jul 28th 2015, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

Ola Madonna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cushy numbers in Italy numbers 1 & 2: 'Notai' and 'Bidelli'

In all my years in Italy it has never ceased to amaze me how 'notai' can seemingly be paid so much for doing seemingly so little. What qualifications do these notaries / commissioners for oaths have to have to get into this apparently archaic profession? The whole thing must be a throwback to 'former' times – but in the digital age, how long will these dusty, humourless individuals be able to ply their trade?

'Bidelli' seem to be yet another throwback to yesteryear. What the Dickens do they do all (of their rather short working) day? I've never seen one actually rise from the desk. Do they just wait for the registers to be collected? Do they feel at all threatened by wireless Internet access and tablets eliminating the need for almost all of their functions? A number of years ago I went into a school and asked one of the 'bidelli' (something along the lines of): "Is this ITC Leonardo da Vinci?" to which he replied: "No, this is ITC Via dei Mille", to which his colleague replied: "No, this actually is ITC Leonardo da Vinci, but it's commonly referred to as ITC Via dei Mille, as that's the road we're on!" I ask you!

Ola Madonna
Old Jul 29th 2015, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cushy numbers in Italy numbers 1 & 2: 'Notai' and 'Bidelli'

Originally Posted by Ola Madonna
In all my years in Italy it has never ceased to amaze me how 'notai' can seemingly be paid so much for doing seemingly so little. What qualifications do these notaries / commissioners for oaths have to have to get into this apparently archaic profession? The whole thing must be a throwback to 'former' times – but in the digital age, how long will these dusty, humourless individuals be able to ply their trade?

'Bidelli' seem to be yet another throwback to yesteryear. What the Dickens do they do all (of their rather short working) day? I've never seen one actually rise from the desk. Do they just wait for the registers to be collected? Do they feel at all threatened by wireless Internet access and tablets eliminating the need for almost all of their functions? A number of years ago I went into a school and asked one of the 'bidelli' (something along the lines of): "Is this ITC Leonardo da Vinci?" to which he replied: "No, this is ITC Via dei Mille", to which his colleague replied: "No, this actually is ITC Leonardo da Vinci, but it's commonly referred to as ITC Via dei Mille, as that's the road we're on!" I ask you!

Ola Madonna
Per la madonna ! you missed out the cushiest number of all time - il farmacista in a nation of hypochondriacs.
bye bye dicette l'inglese
Old Jul 29th 2015, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

highlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cushy numbers in Italy numbers 1 & 2: 'Notai' and 'Bidelli'

NOTAI : There is a proposal to increase their numbers from 7000 to 10000 ! Happy days