Air conditioners

Old Jul 29th 2013, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Air conditioners

Just got back from Sardinia and can not stand the heat. We have the window shutter slightly open and the fan is blowing all night, but it does not solve the problem.
I know, we got spoiled with the aircon on holiday.....

I have been reading online about the 2 types of conditioners(on-off and inverter types with pompa di calore) and although more expensive, I think the second type is better, especially that I might use it for heating the room in autumn when the heating is not on.

My question is:

-which make should I look at? Daikin is the top range, followed by Samsung and other Japanese makes, but are Daikin really that good?

-do I need to do a DIA for the external unit of the split system? I can not face the imbeciles at the comune if I did.

Thanks for any pointers.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 2:14 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Air conditioners

Hi Isakat,

We also, on recommendation, got the Daikin. Mostly word of mouth but then again we couldn't be bothered going around for quotes, etc. Everyone was saying they are the best and we got a good price because we bought it through a friend's company. However, a lot of the recommendations here in Italy are just people repeating what they heard from somebody without any actual knowledge about the product!!

Anyway, we have had the Daikin invertor for 3 years now and we just have it working on dehumidifier function most of the time. The flat seems nice and cool upon entering. It's also very silent on this function.

Since Thursday though, I had to switch to AC mode at 19 degrees and although noisier it's still very quiet compared to other AC units on full blast.

The fan only mode is redundant for us. The heating function is ideal too like you say, for when the normal heating is off.

However, I haven't tried or tested the other makes.

IHTH
Old Jul 29th 2013, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Duffer, IHTH too!

I have been reading on the Spanish forum and they are mentioning Panasonic and Fujitsu?

I found a shop in Rome that sells all the brands where I believe I can see and hear them operational, so I will pay them a visit.
You are absolutely right about people recommending stuff here by hear say, that is why I was questioning the Daikin make-maybe other makes are as good, but people do not know about them.
We subscribe to Which online and checked there too, but their reviews are based on portable ones mainly( waste of money and space, I have one in the garage, will throw it out as it is useless, plus makes so much noise, you can not sleep with it on).

It is good to know you are happy with the Daikin brand. Did you have it connected to your quadro on a separate circuit or just plug it in the socket?
I am not sure we can connect it to the quadro as it is on another floor.
Oh, and how many BT does it have and how many m2 are you cooling?

Thanks
Old Jul 29th 2013, 3:18 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

We have had Samsung inverter (btw 'inverter' means it reduces the power it uses as the room cools as opposed to going full mode all the time) in the rear of our apartment for almost 10yrs. Never had any problems. Logistics mean that we haven't got round to putting it in the front part. Everyone has a different opinion as to where it should go and what size we need. Never used the heating mode so I have no idea what it's like.

Bt depends on the size of room and whether it's south/north etc facing and size/how many windows you have. They are wired in and our's are on a separate circuit. Not necessary, but recommended because they can be turned of at the mains and not left in tension for the 10mnths you don't use them. If you have an up to date leccy system, it shouldn't be a problem even if it's on a different floor.

Our neighbour has a panasonic -forever broke, but that could be due to incorrect fitting or just bad luck.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 5:26 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Isakat
Panasonic and Fujitsu?
I don't know, it's all Chinese to me!

Our flat already had the tubes and position in place so I couldn't tell you. The flat is just under 100m3 and the model is FTXS25G2V1B.

IHIHX
Old Jul 30th 2013, 7:10 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Just got back from Sardinia and can not stand the heat. We have the window shutter slightly open and the fan is blowing all night, but it does not solve the problem.
I know, we got spoiled with the aircon on holiday.....

I have been reading online about the 2 types of conditioners(on-off and inverter types with pompa di calore) and although more expensive, I think the second type is better, especially that I might use it for heating the room in autumn when the heating is not on.

My question is:

-which make should I look at? Daikin is the top range, followed by Samsung and other Japanese makes, but are Daikin really that good?

-do I need to do a DIA for the external unit of the split system? I can not face the imbeciles at the comune if I did.

Thanks for any pointers.
I have used Daikin heavy duty industrial stuff with no problems, a cart horse for a cart horse job.
I know AC guys in the UK who swear by Daikin - but never at them.

Spain has a very diverse range available, from abt €200 inc IVA + fitting, which can be as low as €100. But obviously the Daikin/Samsung/Panasonic et al are at the €600 and upwards (latest Samsungs can be controlled from your mobile device - but are about €1100 or more)

Go for the best you can afford, get inverter - as Duffer says it is the best way to go for durability and running costs. Also for the longterm ownership costs.
as to the size, you probably could work that out, but whoever you buy from could do that for you. Just remember the smaller = the cheaper BUT you don't want it running flat out all day every day, you want it to get the room to temp and cut in and out - the same as you should have on a car aircon switched to Auto. If in doubt go at least one or even 2 sizes up. Continuous operation means unnecessary wear and tear on all moving parts.

Just remember that the filters should be cleaned out at least once a year and also the cooling fan and the radiator unit behind it, along with a little bit of steralising fluid in the condenser pump/pipe to get rid of any smells.
Alternatively pay a man to do it for you.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 8:59 am
Pull my finger

Good advice.

I clean the filters of the indoor unit myself once a year but haven't done the outdoor unit. Although it was serviced once...
Old Jul 30th 2013, 11:46 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duffer
Good advice.

I clean the filters of the indoor unit myself once a year but haven't done the outdoor unit. Although it was serviced once...
naughty Duffer
but at least you admit it.

the cleaner the unit the more efficient it is, so the less electrickery it pulls for the amount of cooling.

so add that to your list of things - at the top.

some people do annual things at specific times - such as the day they change the clocks back or forward (there's no getting round that one), which is also convenient time for changing battery(ies) in smoke & carbon monoxide alarms (unless they are mains powered).
so it is also convenient time to clean filters etc on an AC unit, and can deter birds from nesting in there.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks all for the advice, I will look into Daikin tomorrow.

The air conditioner will only be used at night in our bedroom as the rest of the house is fine( marble floors and thick double walls).

The problem with our bedroom is that it is in the attic, with very high ceilings that go all the way up to the roof, with no other ceiling. I am having insulation put in and a double ceiling this autumn( made a huge difference in DD'S room which is also under the roof), but until then we need to sleep at night.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 12:19 pm

The air conditioner will only be used at night in our bedroom as the rest of the house is fine( marble floors and thick double walls).

The problem with our bedroom is that it is in the attic, with very high ceilings that go all the way up to the roof, with no other ceiling. I am having insulation put in and a double ceiling this autumn( made a huge difference in DD'S room which is also under the roof), but until then we need to sleep at night.
does silver foil backed insulation work ??

`
Old Jul 30th 2013, 1:22 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't saying Samsung is better, just that I know it's good. In fact, when I do get round to putting another unit it, it will probably be a Daiken cos the shop is just round the corner. Forgot to say, you don't need a DIA, but (I'm guessing it's not your case) in Verona, you are not supposed to place the outside unit at the front of the building. When our's was fitted, we were told to run it on hot at the end of the summer to get rid of humidity and bugs. I forget every year. Had the outside unit serviced once. The indoor units are easy to clean.

One thing. I'd be suprised if you manage to get one fitted before Sept.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by 37100
Wasn't saying Samsung is better, just that I know it's good. In fact, when I do get round to putting another unit it, it will probably be a Daiken cos the shop is just round the corner. Forgot to say, you don't need a DIA, but (I'm guessing it's not your case) in Verona, you are not supposed to place the outside unit at the front of the building. When our's was fitted, we were told to run it on hot at the end of the summer to get rid of humidity and bugs. I forget every year. Had the outside unit serviced once. The indoor units are easy to clean.

One thing. I'd be suprised if you manage to get one fitted before Sept.
I might need a DIA as we are governed by the 'vincolo paesagistico' and yes, you are most probably right about fitting it in September.

In this case, we just have to sleep with the window open( insect nets will be fitted this week).
Old Jul 30th 2013, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Domino
does silver foil backed insulation work ??

`
We did not try this type of insulation. Instead we put a frame with 16cm rock wool and plasterboards/ ceiling. The 2 external walls also had an aluminium structure but with 8cm of rock wool and plasterboards.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Saw the Daikin guy today and was pleasantly surprised.
First, when I walked into the shop at 12.50, I expected for him to say, -signora, we close in 10 min, but he told me not to worry about closing time?
Then he answered all questions, gave me a quote there and then and told me it can be installed whenever I want. I said to him that he surprised me, I was expecting for him to tell me September.
Anyway, he was very pleasant and knowledgeable, not pushy at all and I will go with them, the only problem is the balcony where the unit will be installed needs to be re-tiled. He advised me to do the tiling first as it will cost me an extra 200 euro for disconnecting, taking the gas out and re-connecting it again if the external unit is to be moved.
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

mikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond reputemikethomo has a reputation beyond repute

Although I do not know a lot about air conditioning I brought a pre gassed unit with me from the Uk complete with the pre made pipe I mounted the indoor unit drilled a hole in the wall and connected the outdoor unit to the in door put in a small drain primed the unit as per instructions and presto we have air con in the bed room brought the unit from e bay brand new £200. Next year I plan to fit one in the lounge similar unit pre gassed with pipes a bit bigger in terms of btu,s 12000. I can get a top of the range model pregassed and with pipes inverter type whisper quite for £570. My brother brought some units here from grancassa for 200 e but he had to pay 400e each to have them inslalled as they had no interconnecting pipe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.