Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

You’ve failed the people of this country Mr President.

Old Feb 8th 2007, 1:01 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default You’ve failed the people of this country Mr President.

We were sent this new article recently and thought it appropriate to type it up and post it here as this is the cold, hard truth that someone has taken the courage to speak out.

The first stage of reaching a solution is identifying the problem, if you believe there is no problem you are in denial.

It will be most interesting to hear what people have to say about this and if anyone can still defend the madness that is going on in South Africa. Here is an example of a black editor daring to print her truth and also state that now the understanding why people wish to warn other people of the threats for visitors to go to the world cup in 2010.

Personally I think FIFA should be made accountable for their decision to take the cup to South Africa with such a violent and dangerous situation over there.

Read on……………………
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Article from Opinion, Saturday Star Dec 9th 2006

Title: Hard Truth by Lumka Oliphant

“By the time you read this article I will be in Cape Town burying my cousin Nonceba Mzondo, who was brutally murdered in Gugulethu last weekend.

Nono, as we fondly call her, was raped. Her eyes gauged out and left for dead. On Sunday morning when I received a SMS that Noneceba was no more and how brutally she was murdered, I wondered how our president and his government feel when such horrific crimes are reported in the media. I wondered if they ever consider changing the law and bringing back the death penalty.

Then again, wherever the president and his family go, they have bodyguards protecting them.

The heartless thugs even killed the family dog which was found lying beside Nono – just a nuisance as it fought to save her.

Barely two weeks ago we lost our uncle after he was stabbed to death in the same area of Gugulethu.

Last week in this newspaper, a colleague, Zingisa Mkhuma wanted to know what on earth was going on with her black brothers. I am about to join her in the chorus of concern about our black men, for it is a black male that has been arrested for Nono’s murder.

Why this deep-seated hatred for women among our black brothers? How could anyone kill someone in such a cruel manner? We surely can’t blame it on poverty or apartheid.

I have always been very optimistic about the future of South Africa and never quite understood the impact of crime in this country. To be honest, it has been the least of my problems, and above all, I trusted our black leaders to get things under control. Even after I myself was shot last year, I was optimistic – but now I have had enough.

I was lucky that I lived to tell the tale. But I don’t have much hope that the court system will put the man accuse of shooting me behind bars.

Nono was one of the unlucky ones who will never be able to tell her story before a court. Instead, if her killer s found guilty, all of us who pay taxes will be footing the bill for food, accommodation and wellbeing while he is incarcerated.

I was one of the people who, no matter what, defended the ANC Government for abolishing the death penalty. Now I understand why most whites in this country are making so much noise about crime and emigrating in droves. I understand why somebody would set-up a website to make sure nobody comes to this country for the world cup in 2010, as day-in & day-out we hear stories of this nature.

This week we have had many politicians visiting my grannies house to convey their condolences. But it’s too late, because Nono is a statistic and once she has been laid to rest it will be business as usual and nothing will be done to make sure the citizens of this country are safe.

We will still be living in fear and wondering who we are going to bury next.

Cal me whatever you want to call me but , never again will I set foot in a voting station unless there is a party that promise to bring back the death penalty.

We need it in this country and we need it urgently. I have lost all hope in this government to bring crime levels under control and I am sorry, Mr. President, you and your government have failed me and my family.

You have also failed the Mbhele family, because after a year, the killers of Nelisiwe and Lindiwe are still roaming the streets. And you have failed thousands of others.

I hope your day comes to an end today, you realise that ,no matter how hard members of the police service have worked on this case we will never get Nono back.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------

South Africa - a coutry full of sadness, bitterness & violent crime. My heart is sad for this lady and her loss. The loss of a loved one is hard to deal with a more so when it is barbaric such as this example.

South Africa does not need foreign investment blah, blah, blah it needs to look inwards and face the real problems and start to re-build the nation right there.

Cheers