Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Working in Sierra Leone

Working in Sierra Leone

Old May 30th 2011, 9:19 am
Just Joined

Dave Stephenson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working in Sierra Leone

I would like to find out more about working in Sierra Leone.
I have a possible position with African Minerals working on a mine site, and I know nothing about the conditions etc. I would be very grateful if anyone can help me in this regard.

Dave Stephenson
Old May 30th 2011, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

rosario will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Working in Sierra Leone

Hi Dave

I know nothing about working in Sierra Leone but I have just finished reading '
'The Memory of Love' by Aminatta Forba which covers the terrible war and what the people have been through. Beautiful love story.

Always helps I think when working in African country to try to appreciate
the background of the nation and not judge people too harshly.

Good luck with the job. You should go and fiind out for yourself, mining companies usually look out for their employees.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 11:19 am
Just Joined

Daniel jam is an unknown quantity at this point

It is poor dnagerous in free town there are no utilitys and power oftern doesnt work. Medical is very basic advice a exit plan.

If You are being paid from the country what ever currency you have to pay 30% tax.

If anyone has any infromation on tax avoidance as this rate makes working there a waste of time.

Regards

Dan
Old Oct 19th 2011, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light

You say it is poor Daniel?...Mmmm....would that have anything to do with all the tax avoiders?
Old Oct 19th 2011, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

Daniel jam is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your kind retort, I have no issue paying tax but having been there this tax does not go to the people. It does not to help the people either.

I was just asking a adult question. I hope in the future that the money does end up going to build schools, hospitals roads and even power stations for people to have a better standard of life (even waste management as medical waste is deposited on beaches).

Until then i am quiet happy to pay tax in my country or residence.

So was asking if anyone has any advice concerning this .

Regards
Old Oct 24th 2011, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Scubaroo is an unknown quantity at this point

Freetown is a stunning town, full of life and action. But not for the faint hearted. UN class as a family duty station but is def better for singles. Few to no tourists in town, they get eaten on arrival. After a couple of weeks settling in, you'll get the hang of it and its pretty relaxed. I spent 10mths there and it was well worth the experience. Elec is bad but getting better, most buildings (hotels and houses) have on site generators, and they are needed. Despite the extended rainy season, water also an issue as pipe systems and pressure fail frequently.

Beaches are stunning and get down to the south River No.2 etc for weekend escape from hassle. Weekends at Atlantic bar is a good start to meet the crew, expats tend to stick to the same usuals and its fine to move on to the local haunts afterwards. AF are on the boom so there will be many others in your situation. You can move around at night but take care, little in the way of street lighting and trouble is opportunistic and not common. Hussle is common. Transport form the airport is by speed boat or Ukraine Mil-8 helicopter about 85USD each way (a LOT of fun!!), occasionally the ex UK hovercraft is working but it has sunk 3+ times and had a wash out each time!

Food options are actually quite good, Mamba Point features some of the best Sushi I've had and western happiness. You will get sick and fairly frequently mostly from food and preparation but thats life on the west. Several well stocked supermarkets mostly run by lebanese, but fresh produce is dire so get used to can.

Experience in Africa or a Cambodian border town is a must. Its certainly life to the full and a little on the fruity side, but well worth the experience, the friendships you'll make are for life.

Roads are crap and the place hasn't had a lick of paint since independence, but after a troubled past, its doing ok and been in peace for several years. You will need a car (60-100USD per day 4WD, drive urself is best) and hotels are few and overpriced 100-150USD p/n check Hotel Barmoi or Country Lodge for a pleasant arrival stop -- don't stay in the airport town Lungi.

Goodluck and PM direct if you need details.

Best.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 10:12 am
Just Joined

pjmartins is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Dave,

did you make it out to SL and AML? If so how's it going as might do the same!

Let me know, would be much appreciated.

PJMartins
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

steven37at37 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. does anyone here work for or has been employed by AML in sierra leone. If so please could you let me know your views.

Thanks . Steven