Travel to Mombasa

Old Mar 25th 2024, 10:37 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Travel to Mombasa

I will probably be going to Mombasa in October for work. It's a loooong trip, due to no direct flights from the UK to Mombasa and having to change in Nairobi. I would be interested in any recommendations (or the opposite) regarding the internal airlines from Nairobi to Mombasa - reliability, etc.

The UK gov makes it sound as though going to Mombasa is incredibly dangerous from the point of view of terrorism, crime and kidnapping, and various nasty illnesses Mind you, they say the same thing about Mexico where I used to go all the time, and I lived in places like Chicago and New York for years without anything happening to me at all. Just how neurotic is the government being? I will be based in some sort of resort hotel outside of the main city I think. Any words of wisdom?

I've never been anywhere on the African continent before, so this is quite exciting.
Old Mar 25th 2024, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Finknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel to Mombasa

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I will probably be going to Mombasa in October for work. It's a loooong trip, due to no direct flights from the UK to Mombasa and having to change in Nairobi. I would be interested in any recommendations (or the opposite) regarding the internal airlines from Nairobi to Mombasa - reliability, etc.

The UK gov makes it sound as though going to Mombasa is incredibly dangerous from the point of view of terrorism, crime and kidnapping, and various nasty illnesses Mind you, they say the same thing about Mexico where I used to go all the time, and I lived in places like Chicago and New York for years without anything happening to me at all. Just how neurotic is the government being? I will be based in some sort of resort hotel outside of the main city I think. Any words of wisdom?

I've never been anywhere on the African continent before, so this is quite exciting.
The advice I have seen often given (unofficial but based on real experience) is that you stay in your hotel and venture out only to go to your place of work (office?) using only a hotel sourced taxi. No "excursions"!
Old Mar 25th 2024, 12:11 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Finknottle
The advice I have seen often given (unofficial but based on real experience) is that you stay in your hotel and venture out only to go to your place of work (office?) using only a hotel sourced taxi. No "excursions"!
Yes, I've read that too. Yet I suppose the citizens of Mombasa manage to go about their lives ok? I won't have time for sightseeing anyway, since it's a work trip.

What about the internal airlines? Any ideas?
Old Mar 25th 2024, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Finknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I've read that too. Yet I suppose the citizens of Mombasa manage to go about their lives ok? I won't have time for sightseeing anyway, since it's a work trip.

What about the internal airlines? Any ideas?
Kenya Airways seems ok, all jet (rather than turboprop) 1 hour flight,

Your thought about the locals is the one that worries! Don't peek outside the hotel and think "Well, they're ok, so I should be". Don't be tempted!
Old Mar 25th 2024, 1:56 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

It's very exciting! A brand new continent, culture and country, you lucky duck.

Looking at Google flights, the only airlines flying non-stop between Nairobi and Mombasa are Kenya Airways, Skyward Express and Jambojet. On the AirlineRatings website (the one I always use to check a carrier's safety record), only Kenya Airways is listed from those three. I believe that Jambojet is a subsidiary of Kenya Airways, possibly a 'no frills' version but I'm not sure.

Kenya Airways has the maximum number of stars and also has a Category 1 rating under the US Department of Transport's (FFA) International Aviation Safety Assessment (IASA), which means it's permitted to fly in out out of US airports, and code-share with US carriers. I'd hop on one of their planes, no worries.
https://www.airlineratings.com/ratings/kenya-airways/

We expect dispatches from Mombasa

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Mar 25th 2024 at 2:00 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2024, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Let's hope they're not in the form of a ransom note!
Old Mar 25th 2024, 2:14 pm

Kenya Airways seems ok, all jet (rather than turboprop) 1 hour flight,

Your thought about the locals is the one that worries! Don't peek outside the hotel and think "Well, they're ok, so I should be". Don't be tempted!

Thanks for the airline knowledge. Wandering around is not on the agenda.
Old Mar 25th 2024, 2:16 pm

It's very exciting! A brand new continent, culture and country, you lucky duck.

Looking at Google flights, the only airlines flying non-stop between Nairobi and Mombasa are Kenya Airways, Skyward Express and Jambojet. On the AirlineRatings website (the one I always use to check a carrier's safety record), only Kenya Airways is listed from those three. I believe that Jambojet is a subsidiary of Kenya Airways, possibly a 'no frills' version but I'm not sure.

Kenya Airways has the maximum number of stars and also has a Category 1 rating under the US Department of Transport's (FFA) International Aviation Safety Assessment (IASA), which means it's permitted to fly in out out of US airports, and code-share with US carriers. I'd hop on one of their planes, no worries.
https://www.airlineratings.com/ratings/kenya-airways/

Thanks, SOS. That's very helpful. I didn't fancy the sound of "Jambojet" at all, but maybe it's ok I think I'll stick to the parent company - sometimes frills are good.

I wish I were going to have the opportunity to see more of the country, but I think they will keep a pretty tight rein on us.
Old Mar 25th 2024, 2:16 pm

Let's hope they're not in the form of a ransom note!

Doesn't BE have a fund for that sort of thing for veteran members?
Old Mar 25th 2024, 2:22 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, SOS. That's very helpful. I didn't fancy the sound of "Jambojet" at all, but maybe it's ok I think I'll stick to the parent company - sometimes frills are good.

I wish I were going to have the opportunity to see more of the country, but I think they will keep a pretty tight rein on us.
Definitely, on this occasion the more frills the better

Yes, I think your time there will be risk assessed and managed within an inch of its life. I reckon you'll be very well looked after, and hopefully a plan's been made for you to experience at least a bit of Kenyan life. I'm very jealous!
Old Mar 25th 2024, 2:32 pm

Definitely, on this occasion the more frills the better

Yes, I think your time there will be risk assessed and managed within an inch of its life. I reckon you'll be very well looked after, and hopefully a plan's been made for you to experience at least a bit of Kenyan life. I'm very jealous!

New places and experiences are among my most favourite things ever. I also need to try and find where I left my French, since for the non-English speakers that's likely to be the favoured language that we might have in common. I don't think my Spanish is going to help much...
Old Mar 25th 2024, 4:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...0in%20daylight.
Old Mar 25th 2024, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Having just seen your part of a large group you should be ok.
Old Mar 25th 2024, 5:24 pm

Having just seen your part of a large group you should be ok.
Yeah. The only gap will be to and from airport and hotel since peoe are coming from different starting points. I'm sure there's a taxicsystem though. My main interest wS which internal airline to choose.
Old Mar 25th 2024, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Might be fun though! Dash 8 turboprops, noisy and the landing will give your rear a shake up. Alright though, more in keeping with travel in safari country!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.