tall men
Table Mountain looming over the city
sunsets off Clifton

...most other things I have found substitutes for
Old May 25th 2007, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

melpieters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Things you miss about South Africa

Oh, and Qantas has been my best carrier so far - friendly staff who will bring you booze all 16 hours long ;-)
Old May 25th 2007, 5:59 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by melpieters
I miss:

tall men
Aag shame ,

Oz has a few, but hell they got some kief musik..

Kyk..........
Attached Thumbnails Things you miss about South Africa-aust-super-rock-group.jpg  
Old May 25th 2007, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

melpieters is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Campbells
Aag shame ,

Oz has a few, but hell they got some kief musik..

Kyk..........
Hee hee, yes I saw that some time back .

Not that many tall men in Oz mate, I've snagged the only boofy 6-footer in the street I reckon. You can see the pommie heritage quite clearly here (*ducks* that'll stir up the locals). I miss craning my head back to chat to a nice big bloke... and don't get me started on how short the women are outside of SA! I feel like the incredible hulk and in SA I'm just average...

Seem to remember some decent talent in NZ when I visited there a couple of years back tho... might need to pop over again for a reccie.
Old May 25th 2007, 8:32 am

Kitten24 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know what you mean... I feel like a Girafe here in the UK, but when we are home on holiday I actually feel quite normal. Luckily my hubby is also from SA and is taller than me.
Old May 25th 2007, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Heartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really nice

Originally Posted by Campbells
Have SAA changed their racial preferencing employment polices ( commonly known as AA) ? When I did a lot of work for them in 2000 they were not allowed to employ white people.

Has that changed ?? I heard that Metro Police were *trying* to recruit young white people but on the basis that they must understand it will not be a career and because they are white will not be allowed promotion.

Sounds like bodies to fill the flack jackets. Target practice for the cash heist gangs.

Anybody got anything to offer on the racial preferencing employment dictation accommodating white people ?
Don’t know current AA Policy for SAA but when it was first introduced in the country it was the Gov Dept’s that were initially targeted of course, and now I believe Internal Affairs, Provincial and Local Govt becoming more dysfunctional then ever…

In SAA’s case as you probably know the majority of White Senior Staff were offered attractive packages which they took, this was to make space for new ‘wekkers’ and to ease the transition they offered a lot of ex SAA Staff (wifey inc) who had left to get married/have children etc temp employment.

Wifey still there but slowly the Whites are diminishing, morale low, they all moan to each other and in turn that drops them even lower, wifey tells them not to talk to her about how bad things are cos it drags her down..

Wifey tried to get job for our daughter in 2004 both SAA and Comair, she stepped straight into the latter and is still there but say’s benefits not as good as SAA.

I left for UK 2003 with our son (14 then) get him into A Levels etc with view bringing whole family over soon after, that did’nt happen for a few reasons so last 3 and half years we been flying back and forth 4 times a year keeping the pot cooking both ends trying to decide which country we going to consolidate in.

Wifey is South African and I’m Pommie that has been South Africanised bit like EddyEddyEddy, I don’t want to put foot down force her UK cos I know how she would miss SA, friends, weather, etc even I’m battling and tend to seek out as many Saffa’s here to mix with.

My son not doing so well here also he finds UK counterparts loutish, dead enders, small minded.

Trouble is memory of the bad things fad quickly and you only remember the good times especially the lifestyle the kids had growing up there.

Think we all one way or another in similar situation, proper Souties.
Old May 25th 2007, 10:10 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heartfm
My son not doing so well here also he finds UK counterparts loutish, dead enders, small minded.
And there's one of the rubs. Used to get "chavved" on a daily basis - my disabled mum in the UK still won't go out at night for the gangs of youths drinking diamond white and pretending to be Eminem hanging out on street corners. They egged our house just before I left the UK - so I went round and offered to teach the little sod (15 years old) & his folks some manners - they called the cops who told me to leave him alone and refused to follow up a complaint against them. Standards definitely dropping amongst the kids there. If I'd lobbed an egg at someone's house when I was 15 my dad would have beaten the crap out of me - rightly so.
Old May 25th 2007, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by ededed
And there's one of the rubs. Used to get "chavved" on a daily basis - my disabled mum in the UK still won't go out at night for the gangs of youths drinking diamond white and pretending to be Eminem hanging out on street corners. They egged our house just before I left the UK - so I went round and offered to teach the little sod (15 years old) & his folks some manners - they called the cops who told me to leave him alone and refused to follow up a complaint against them. Standards definitely dropping amongst the kids there. If I'd lobbed an egg at someone's house when I was 15 my dad would have beaten the crap out of me - rightly so.
That's part of the reason I am set on leaving the UK. Can't stand the way the children here behave and definitely don't want my children growing up with peers like that.
Old May 25th 2007, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

What will dawn on you after a few years, Ededed, if you stay that long, is the awful feeling that you don't have a future there, that everything that you have worked to build for yourself there is built on sand.

SA is fine for holidays (if you accept the risks) and fine for those expensive expats who can helicopter in and out of countries with skills that are in worldwide demand. But for those folks who form the backbone of any civilized country, who slowly build up a life for themselves and their family, there is, I fear, no future. Parents die. Kids leave. The tide of violence and incompetence rises and rises. And in the end you ask yourself whether to go at a time of your own chosing, or risk waiting until you're forced out with nothing.

People who return to the UK after years in SA struggle. The UK is not a forgiving place in that respect. You come to a point in your life where you realise that there is no going back.

Pablo
Old May 25th 2007, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kitten24
That's part of the reason I am set on leaving the UK. Can't stand the way the children here behave and definitely don't want my children growing up with peers like that.

From what I've heard from friends who have moved to OZ, the kids there are just as bad.

I'm tempted to add as a general point that I have seen far too many of the people who leave SA just keep on moving and moving and moving. That sense of uprootedness is the price you pay for being an expat. Trouble is, if you think the solution to that is to go "home" you just find that home no longer exists, and you're just as unsettled there too. There is no return from knowledge to ignorance.

Those who keep moving don't find some place that is perfect. They just realise that they're chasing something that doesn't exist. The real journey, and the real battle that must be fought, is an inner one.

Pablo

Last edited by Pablo; May 25th 2007 at 11:01 am.
Old May 25th 2007, 11:15 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pablo
From what I've heard from friends who have moved to OZ, the kids there are just as bad.

I'm tempted to add as a general point that I have seen far too many of the people who leave SA just keep on moving and moving and moving. That sense of uprootedness is the price you pay for being an expat. Trouble is, if you think the solution to that is to go "home" you just find that home no longer exists, and you're just as unsettled there too. There is no return from knowledge to ignorance.

Those who keep moving don't find some place that is perfect. They just realise that they're chasing something that doesn't exist. The real journey, and the real battle that must be fought, is an inner one.

Pablo
Yup,

This is very true. My wife & I were just talking about this tonight. We are adjusting to New Zealand and it is a process. SA is still in our hearts, my wife is African, and our son was born there BUT….

We have a good life here and the most important thing for us is that our son has a future.

New Zealand has a few warts but on the whole if we look down the track in 10 years time it has more to offer us than SA. Sure, we could make more money in SA (maybe not) but we have moved on from that, we have chosen to seek life.

Kiwis by comparison are way more humble and we are adapting to appreciate and enjoy this, it is very family orientated and the kids here are pretty good. You get the odd attitude but as I say it has its warts.

My wife’s best friend (since primary school) is still in SA and has even offered to pay her airfares for her to go & visit and my wife feels there is to much risk and probably too much emotion.

As I keep on saying, when I see the beaming smile of our wee lad, that’s what matters to us… and that is the pill that cuts through any grumbles we may have with our life here. We have made that choice.
Old May 25th 2007, 11:19 am

Pablo
There's definitely no way we will keep on moving and moving. We have tried to be in the UK and be happy, but unfortunately we both enjoy the outdoor life too much and would really like our children to have the best of both worlds... an outdoor life and safety, so Oz is our solution.

I suffer from SAD since we have lived in the UK and can't take being depressed any longer, I need the sunshine! We always figured we would move back to SA after a couple of years, but this option has been removed due to the fears for our children's safety. I have had to resign myself to the fact that I left my family behind and will only see them on holidays.

No matter how bad SA gets, I have always felt like it's home, in fact I always refer to it as 'back home'. Africa is in my blood and heart!
Old May 25th 2007, 11:24 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Heartfm
Don’t know current AA Policy for SAA but when it was first introduced in the country it was the Gov Dept’s that were initially targeted of course, and now I believe Internal Affairs, Provincial and Local Govt becoming more dysfunctional then ever…

In SAA’s case as you probably know the majority of White Senior Staff were offered attractive packages which they took, this was to make space for new ‘wekkers’ and to ease the transition they offered a lot of ex SAA Staff (wifey inc) who had left to get married/have children etc temp employment.

Wifey still there but slowly the Whites are diminishing, morale low, they all moan to each other and in turn that drops them even lower, wifey tells them not to talk to her about how bad things are cos it drags her down..

Wifey tried to get job for our daughter in 2004 both SAA and Comair, she stepped straight into the latter and is still there but say’s benefits not as good as SAA.

I left for UK 2003 with our son (14 then) get him into A Levels etc with view bringing whole family over soon after, that did’nt happen for a few reasons so last 3 and half years we been flying back and forth 4 times a year keeping the pot cooking both ends trying to decide which country we going to consolidate in.

Wifey is South African and I’m Pommie that has been South Africanised bit like EddyEddyEddy, I don’t want to put foot down force her UK cos I know how she would miss SA, friends, weather, etc even I’m battling and tend to seek out as many Saffa’s here to mix with.

Trouble is memory of the bad things fad quickly and you only remember the good times especially the lifestyle the kids had growing up there.

Think we all one way or another in similar situation, proper Souties.

Mate, that sounds really tough,
I know because I went through similar. I wanted to get out of SA for many years and after I was hi-jacked at gunpoint in 96 really changed my whole view of the place.

My wife didn’t want to leave and when our wee lad (a pale male) came along it changed my wife’s outlook towards SA.

We chose NZ as I come from the UK, Scotland and that has its fair share of yobs.

There are loads of SAs here in NZ and the ones we have met are happy. The weather here can be a bit miz but hell, that’s a minor.

It there not a possibility for you to find a destination to move to as a family that is not home for you or your wife?

I hope things work out for you and don’t give up.

All the best
Old May 25th 2007, 11:52 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

What will dawn on you after a few years, Ededed, if you stay that long, is the awful feeling that you don't have a future there, that everything that you have worked to build for yourself there is built on sand.

SA is fine for holidays (if you accept the risks) and fine for those expensive expats who can helicopter in and out of countries with skills that are in worldwide demand. But for those folks who form the backbone of any civilized country, who slowly build up a life for themselves and their family, there is, I fear, no future. Parents die. Kids leave. The tide of violence and incompetence rises and rises. And in the end you ask yourself whether to go at a time of your own chosing, or risk waiting until you're forced out with nothing.

People who return to the UK after years in SA struggle. The UK is not a forgiving place in that respect. You come to a point in your life where you realise that there is no going back.

Pablo
After 4 years here and 5 years in the UK during the past 9 years I am in a fortunate position to make a balanced judgement call. I looked long and hard at the decision - agonised for months and then plumped for SA. I had a good job and a good life in London, but my long term plan has always been to retire here to a golf estate and spend my last days whacking my balls into a lake (so to speak). The reason we decided to come back was that I could we could afford for my wife not to work (which would never happen with our London life), she would be nearer her family, we stop suffering from SAD and I could effectively semi-retire! At 36! I now spend 1 working day a week on the golf course and the wife is with her friends and family during the days. It would take me another 20 years (at least) in the UK to get what we have now, and I wasn't prepared to wait.

We kept our house in the UK, so have a bolt hole when / if things go Pete Tong but I'm an optimist. I really think it will be ok. When I stop posting, you'll know I got capped at the robots and you can all laugh and point at my childish / blinkered / niaive thinking. Until then, I am loving life and happier than I have been in a long time.

Or maybe it's just Friday.
Old May 25th 2007, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by ededed
After 4 years here and 5 years in the UK during the past 9 years I am in a fortunate position to make a balanced judgement call. I looked long and hard at the decision - agonised for months and then plumped for SA. I had a good job and a good life in London, but my long term plan has always been to retire here to a golf estate and spend my last days whacking my balls into a lake (so to speak). The reason we decided to come back was that I could we could afford for my wife not to work (which would never happen with our London life), she would be nearer her family, we stop suffering from SAD and I could effectively semi-retire! At 36! I now spend 1 working day a week on the golf course and the wife is with her friends and family during the days. It would take me another 20 years (at least) in the UK to get what we have now, and I wasn't prepared to wait.

We kept our house in the UK, so have a bolt hole when / if things go Pete Tong but I'm an optimist. I really think it will be ok. When I stop posting, you'll know I got capped at the robots and you can all laugh and point at my childish / blinkered / niaive thinking. Until then, I am loving life and happier than I have been in a long time.

Or maybe it's just Friday.
I envy you Ededed. Sounds like you and your wife are living the good life.

You went there with your eyes wide open, so it won't have been a shock to your system. You're enjoying your life and have plans in place should things go to pot.

Yay!! It's Friday!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.