British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Africa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/africa-84/)
-   -   There is no crisis in Zim - Mbeki (https://britishexpats.com/forum/africa-84/there-no-crisis-zim-mbeki-528808/)

shiftdelete Apr 12th 2008 1:26 pm

There is no crisis in Zim - Mbeki

Disgusting and immoral.....Mbeki clearly does not deserve to lead SA.

MDC are quite obviously desperately trying not to get sucked into the trap being laid by Mugabe by being seen as resorting to violence, obstructive behaviour etc.

If all the couple of million starving people decided to just go and sit it out in the middle of Harare, would that be considered a crisis?

Pablo Apr 12th 2008 2:01 pm

Re: There is no crisis in Zim - Mbeki

Yes, sickening. A disgrace.

Zimbabwe is not in crisis, says Mbeki
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...12/wzim412.xml

shiftdelete Apr 12th 2008 2:28 pm

Can you believe it Pablo? It's all getting beyond me now mate.

Here we have seen a peaceful response by the MDC in the face extreme provocation- this should be applauded by Africa, not undermined by Mbeki before even getting to Zambia- what are they going to do there now- have a 5-course meal and go home?

What a traitor Mbeki is OMG.

When Zimbabwe is free again he should be shot alongside Mugabe. Disgusting.

OMG this is too disgusting. :thumbdown:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 6198309)
Yes, sickening. A disgrace.

Zimbabwe is not in crisis, says Mbeki
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...12/wzim412.xml

Pablo Apr 12th 2008 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by shiftdelete (Post 6198395)
Can you believe it Pablo? It's all getting beyond me now mate.

Here we have seen a peaceful response by the MDC in the face extreme provocation- this should be applauded by Africa, not undermined by Mbeki before even getting to Zambia- what are they going to do there now- have a 5-course meal and go home?

What a traitor Mbeki is OMG.

When Zimbabwe is free again he should be shot alongside Mugabe. Disgusting.

OMG this is too disgusting. :thumbdown:

Mbeki does it again and again and again. He says/does something so bewilderingly stupid and incomprehensible that you think, 'he must have something up his sleeve.' Then you discover that he doesn't have anything up his sleeve at all, and what he said is what he meant.

People are being beaten up and worse in Zimbabwe by Mugabe's thugs, the last farms are being stolen, the country has inflation of over 100,000%, life expectancy is below 38 years, milliions of Zimboes have fled in desperation, and Mbeki says there's no crisis. You really wonder what *would* constitute a crisis in Mbeki's eyes.

What next? I suppose the Zim Electoral Commission will announce that Mugabe won with 99% of the vote, and then Mbeki will say, 'Yep, that looks free and fair to me.'

shiftdelete Apr 12th 2008 4:00 pm

Maybe africa deserves what it gets year after year- stupidity, bloodshed and more bloodshed, poverty, more bloodshed.....

To think the economies of the world are starting to implode with rising food prices/rice shortages. Here sits good old zimbabwe with no fu*$*ing excuse- it could feed its own and export tonnes and tonnes. But it has become this black racist state that even Obama would have a hard time defending.

Mbeki : "why Robert, clearly there's no blood running down the streets of Harare- the opposition don't deserve this country. You on the other hand are the master of violence- a true son of africa- my loyal brother- you have freed the country comrade"

OMG- the white racists all over the world must be 'loving this sick'.

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 6198415)
Mbeki does it again and again and again. He says/does something so bewilderingly stupid and incomprehensible that you think, 'he must have something up his sleeve.' Then you discover that he doesn't have anything up his sleeve at all, and what he said is what he meant.

People are being beaten up and worse in Zimbabwe by Mugabe's thugs, the last farms are being stolen, the country has inflation of over 100,000%, life expectancy is below 38 years, milliions of Zimboes have fled in desperation, and Mbeki says there's no crisis. You really wonder what *would* constitute a crisis in Mbeki's eyes.

What next? I suppose the Zim Electoral Commission will announce that Mugabe won with 99% of the vote, and then Mbeki will say, 'Yep, that looks free and fair to me.'

newshoney Apr 13th 2008 7:30 am

It's all too depressing. I am in London, fearing for the safety of many brave friends back in Zim and thoroughly disgusted at the turn of events.

It's also very perplexing. The world's media portray this as though ZEC were merely incompetent in releasing the result as though millions did not know the truth: the results of all four contests were published on the walls of every polling station on Sunday 30th March and the collated whole was known within hours to the MDC, to ZEC, to the ZESN and was widely reported. At worst, Morgan Tsvangirai won outright with 50.3% - many in Zim believe it was more like 57%.

Now the ZEC announces a "recount" of a result it never published. It defies belief that they can be so brazen. Already some parliamentary results were changed between the Sunday count and the ZEC revelation, e.g. the blue results sheets showed Joyce Mujuru lost West Darwin and Elliot Manyika lost Bindura... but within days both were then announced the winners by large majorities. Go figure. They must have had a lot of postal voters in those areas, eh?

SADC has revealed itself as impotent as we all feared and Mbeki as a charlatan. Brown is full of hot air "appalled.... patience wearing thin..." as though the UK or the UN were actually willing to act when we all know they will not spend a cent on doing anything at all.

And meanwhile more white farms are invaded, more people suspected of MDC affiliation are beaten up, troops are deployed, jets fly over Harare. I wonder if some of what I'm hearing is bravado or just rumour... but there are very disparate voices telling me that the 'people' will not sit back and accept the theft of their election and there will be violent protest coming.

shiftdelete Apr 13th 2008 9:28 am

Depressing for sure- I still can't believe the treachery of it all...complete betrayel- its a disgrace- most everyone in zim must be shattered by this.
Any drama getting out? You're a lucky ducky :) Well done anyway.

Originally Posted by newshoney (Post 6200675)
It's all too depressing. I am in London, fearing for the safety of many brave friends back in Zim and thoroughly disgusted at the turn of events.

It's also very perplexing. The world's media portray this as though ZEC were merely incompetent in releasing the result as though millions did not know the truth: the results of all four contests were published on the walls of every polling station on Sunday 30th March and the collated whole was known within hours to the MDC, to ZEC, to the ZESN and was widely reported. At worst, Morgan Tsvangirai won outright with 50.3% - many in Zim believe it was more like 57%.

Now the ZEC announces a "recount" of a result it never published. It defies belief that they can be so brazen. Already some parliamentary results were changed between the Sunday count and the ZEC revelation, e.g. the blue results sheets showed Joyce Mujuru lost West Darwin and Elliot Manyika lost Bindura... but within days both were then announced the winners by large majorities. Go figure. They must have had a lot of postal voters in those areas, eh?

SADC has revealed itself as impotent as we all feared and Mbeki as a charlatan. Brown is full of hot air "appalled.... patience wearing thin..." as though the UK or the UN were actually willing to act when we all know they will not spend a cent on doing anything at all.

And meanwhile more white farms are invaded, more people suspected of MDC affiliation are beaten up, troops are deployed, jets fly over Harare. I wonder if some of what I'm hearing is bravado or just rumour... but there are very disparate voices telling me that the 'people' will not sit back and accept the theft of their election and there will be violent protest coming.

Pablo Apr 13th 2008 10:31 am

"The summit congratulated and thanked the SADC facilitator, President Mbeki, and his facilitation team for the role they had played in helping to contribute to the successful holding of election," a joint statement said.

http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx...ticleId=336859

... The usual craven boot-licking.

newshoney Apr 13th 2008 11:21 am

Hi shiftdelete,
Thanks for all your good wishes and no, there was no drama at all where I was concerned. As everyone on this site has pointed out, I have been incredibly lucky throughout. So have a million other hacks, except for one Yank and one Brit picked up in Harare... yet the CIO failed to notice the big guns and the TV cameras who were all over the shop. Some, like Chris McGreal of the Guardian/Observer, have been in country for over a month now, filing daily. One of Zim's little contradictions. The strange thing is I kept expecting to see the "other side" but didn't. The expected evils started to reveal themselves after I'd left the scene.

Even the foreign observers knew the results on the Sunday, pace this interesting Embassy blog:
https://blogs.fco.gov.uk/roller/harare/date/20080407

shiftdelete Apr 13th 2008 12:00 pm

Some of those cameras must have been Al Jazeera- for the rest, it's a funny old world isn't it.

Originally Posted by newshoney (Post 6201370)
Hi shiftdelete,
... yet the CIO failed to notice the big guns and the TV cameras who were all over the shop. Some, like Chris McGreal of the Guardian/Observer, have been in country for over a month now, filing daily.

TigerOC Apr 13th 2008 12:29 pm

Newshoney I am very relieved to hear you are out in one piece.

The latest news makes the situation even more interesting as the High Court in Harare has declared that the ZEC is in not legally allowed to do a recount on the disputed electoral districts as this must be requested within 48 hours.

The game of roulette starts here. Does Bob once again defy the Court and just press on regardless. If he does, how will Mbeki react to a flagrant disregard of their own legal system.

val50 Apr 13th 2008 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by newshoney (Post 6201370)
Hi shiftdelete,
Thanks for all your good wishes and no, there was no drama at all where I was concerned. As everyone on this site has pointed out, I have been incredibly lucky throughout. So have a million other hacks, except for one Yank and one Brit picked up in Harare... yet the CIO failed to notice the big guns and the TV cameras who were all over the shop. Some, like Chris McGreal of the Guardian/Observer, have been in country for over a month now, filing daily. One of Zim's little contradictions. The strange thing is I kept expecting to see the "other side" but didn't. The expected evils started to reveal themselves after I'd left the scene.

Even the foreign observers knew the results on the Sunday, pace this interesting Embassy blog:
https://blogs.fco.gov.uk/roller/harare/date/20080407

glad to know you got back to UK safe Newshoney:thumbsup:

shiftdelete Apr 13th 2008 1:14 pm

val50, you look just like the matron we had at boarding school...standard 2 :blink: or is that just the avatar :huh:

Originally Posted by val50 (Post 6201587)
glad to know you got back to UK safe Newshoney:thumbsup:

shiftdelete Apr 13th 2008 2:16 pm

oops......now I'm starting to feel a little nervous...:blink:

Originally Posted by shiftdelete (Post 6201711)
val50, you look just like the matron we had at boarding school...standard 2 :blink: or is that just the avatar :huh:

Tegwyn Apr 13th 2008 2:47 pm

Newshoney, I am very glad to hear that you are home safe.:) On the subject of Mugabe, why is anyone surprised? Walking away from the coffers and thugs to do his killings would be personal suicide. Everyone is wailing about free and fair, but when last did Zims ever have a free and fair election? Any opposition was trampled before it had time to build. This is no different. As for Mbeki, he will never betray Uncle Bob. I remember a few reports some years ago about Mugabe funding some of Mbeki's expenses for education etc. during the struggle to liberate SA. Mbeki was clearly setting himself up nicely for the top job in SA and he is indebted to Mugabe for help in paving the way.