Teaching in Uganda

Old Apr 9th 2012, 2:26 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 7
amadgambler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching in Uganda

Hi everyone,

Just confirmed I will be teaching at an International school in Kampala for the next two years.

I'm extremely excited, but don't have the first idea about what I need to know prior to moving over. I've never visited Africa before, but just fancied an adventure.

Any tips, advice or people living in Kampala saying hi, would be really useful and appreciated.

Thanks
amadgambler is offline  
Old Apr 12th 2012, 5:14 pm
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Shropshire
Posts: 86
rosario will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Teaching in Uganda

Originally Posted by amadgambler
Hi everyone,

Just confirmed I will be teaching at an International school in Kampala for the next two years.

I'm extremely excited, but don't have the first idea about what I need to know prior to moving over. I've never visited Africa before, but just fancied an adventure.

Any tips, advice or people living in Kampala saying hi, would be really useful and appreciated.

Thanks
Thats good I just wondered. If you are on Facebook join the VSO Uganda group and you will find many young volunteers who are based in Kampala. Is the school fixing you up with house etc? you may need car but can get around in boda bodas or taxis. Lots of nice hotels in Kampala, golf course, sailing in Entebbe. You should be just fine. Be careful as you would in any other city but as African cities go Kampala is safe. When we left in 2002 supermarkets had arrived up from South Africa, there is a very good Belgium butchers also. Take your malaria tablets!
rosario is offline  
Old Apr 12th 2012, 5:22 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 7
amadgambler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching in Uganda

Thanks Rosario.

Yeah the school is sorting me out with housing (although I have been offered a flat by a friend's aunt who lives there too). I've been warned off the boda bodas, apparently several members of staff have had serious injuries (just makes it sound more exciting ), but I don't think I can afford to buy a car over there.

Thanks for the tip, will go and join the group now.
amadgambler is offline  
Old Apr 12th 2012, 5:31 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Shropshire
Posts: 86
rosario will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Teaching in Uganda

Originally Posted by amadgambler
Thanks Rosario.

Yeah the school is sorting me out with housing (although I have been offered a flat by a friend's aunt who lives there too). I've been warned off the boda bodas, apparently several members of staff have had serious injuries (just makes it sound more exciting ), but I don't think I can afford to buy a car over there.

Thanks for the tip, will go and join the group now.
If you know someone who lives there then you will be shown around.
Don't be put off by the programs that BBC etc show you will be amazed at the big houses in Kampala. You will not be able to resist the bodas bodas etc. I even got on one which was a bycycle and I was over 60 and heavy. I think that as it is the International School you should meet interesting parents! You may never want to come back.
rosario is offline  
Old Apr 14th 2012, 8:42 pm
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 7
amadgambler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching in Uganda

Originally Posted by rosario
If you know someone who lives there then you will be shown around.
Don't be put off by the programs that BBC etc show you will be amazed at the big houses in Kampala. You will not be able to resist the bodas bodas etc. I even got on one which was a bycycle and I was over 60 and heavy. I think that as it is the International School you should meet interesting parents! You may never want to come back.
Wow, you've made me even more excited!
amadgambler is offline  
Old Apr 28th 2012, 12:47 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Shropshire
Posts: 86
rosario will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Teaching in Uganda

Originally Posted by amadgambler
Wow, you've made me even more excited!
What is the latest news? Do you know when you are going yet?
rosario is offline  
Old May 9th 2012, 6:31 am
  #7  
Just Joined
 
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 15
napatel2007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching in Uganda

hi,
I have lived in Kampala for 3 years and have many friends there. Some of my friends are in KISU. Kampala International School Uganda.

As far as my experience is concerned its the best and safest place to live in East Africa.

I myself is searching a new job to return to Kampala. However I can sumit some of the references whom I know in kampala.

Mr. Chetan Patel - KISU - Kampala
Mr. Amrish Patel - Mercedez Benz - Kampala.

pl. mail me for further and more references who can help you and places to kill the time and visit.,

Pl. keep away from KABALAGALA - RED LIGHT AREA in Kampala.
napatel2007 is offline  
Old May 12th 2012, 5:23 pm
  #8  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 7
amadgambler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching in Uganda

sorry, not been on here in a while.

I'm coming over in the second week of August I think. Still know very little about what is going to happen and don't really know what I need to know (if that makes sense).

All reports seem to be favourable and I'm already building up a list of people who want to come out to visit, so it should be good!
amadgambler is offline  
Old May 12th 2012, 6:54 pm
  #9  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Shropshire
Posts: 86
rosario will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Teaching in Uganda

Originally Posted by amadgambler
sorry, not been on here in a while.

I'm coming over in the second week of August I think. Still know very little about what is going to happen and don't really know what I need to know (if that makes sense).

All reports seem to be favourable and I'm already building up a list of people who want to come out to visit, so it should be good!
Time to sort out your jabs etc and get started on malaria prevention. You must be getting very excited. Remember to take jacket or suit. sometimes young people going to Africa do not realise that you are expected to be smart for meetings etc. maybe a couple ties.
rosario is offline  
Old May 20th 2012, 7:27 pm
  #10  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 7
amadgambler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching in Uganda

won't be a problem with the smartness, but I am a bit worried about the rest of my wardrobe, it is better suited for arctic exploration than life in the sun.

I've been told I don't need to worry about jabs until a couple of weeks before hand, but will get on to it tomorrow.
amadgambler is offline  
Old Aug 1st 2012, 10:29 am
  #11  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 5
SharonCrawford is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching in Uganda

Nice thread and nice posts...
SharonCrawford is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.