Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Suprised any bodys left!!!!!!!

Suprised any bodys left!!!!!!!

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

Piccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nice
Post Re: Suprised any bodys left!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Pablo
Piccolo, don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to make that idiotic argument that there is murder everywhere and therefore everything in SA is just fine and dandy.

I don't know what the murder stats are for the UK, but you can be pretty sure that there were not 19,824 murders in the UK (as in those recent SA stats I quoted earlier). I suppose I should have said that a murder a week is a *relative* rarety - when compared with SA, that is.

Nor am I saying - of course - that there are no burglaries etc in the UK. Certainly there are. It's just that my own personal statistics, as it were, are that I do not know anyone - any friend of mine, that is - who has been a victim of violent crime or even burgled. In SA, on the other hand, I myself was held up at gunpoint during a raid on a post office (Auckland Park), made to lie on the floor, robbed of any valuables, and was lucky not to have been shot.

And I can only think of *one* friend in SA who hasn't been burgled or attacked in some way... and even in that one person's case her brother has been hijacked 3 times. And on it goes. I could go on, but you get the picture.

After my own little incident in Auckland Park, I have never bought myself anything but the cheapest watch again (I had my watch taken, among other stuff). No big deal, luckily for me. Feeling the gun pointed at my head as I lay on the floor wasn't much fun, though. When I think of what it must do to a person/family when a member is raped/murdered etc I can scarcely imagine how they ever manage to get over it. (To be honest, I don't think you do ever "get over" something like that).

It's so easy to downplay crime when it's just a number.

The wider context of the figures I quoted earlier (and I can post the rest if you're interested) is that police numbers are hopelessly down in SA, especially where they're needed most, in Gauteng and the Cape. I feel that the SA government has been more interested in playing racial quota games with the SA police than trying to create or maintain and effective anti-crime force.

Pablo
I dont think it is an easy task for the SA government to cope with crime
without creating laws that the people do not want or should not have any more such as freedom of movement etc. Not an easy job being a police man.

America also has terrible crime figures and with all the money they have are not able to contain it. However It appears as if New York has now got iit under control. I was reading an article where it appears that communities just got weary of losing their childtren to drugs and the gun and changes came from within the community. The conclusion was that people living in bad areas had just had too much and started to change without persuasion from Government. Perhaps that will be the answer?
Old Aug 26th 2005, 3:06 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Re: Suprised any bodys left!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by snowbunny
My brother has just returned from two weeks in SA. He didn't report any of the horrifying things described; but did note, of course, the shantytowns, and the fact that many houses have gates all the way round. His feeling was that property crime was higher than violent crime.
He probably wouldn't in 2 weeks. The reason there are walls all the way around the majority of homes over there, with either barbed wire, or spikes on top, plus bars on all the windows, steel gates on the outside of doors, both front and back, security alarms with panic buttons, dogs..etc..is due to the violent crime mostly. Not burglaries. If you have a home invasion over there, a fairly common occurence, you will most likely get raped/tortured, and shot at, if not murdered.

As to walled communities. The papers are reporting a very disturbing trend.

Syndicates are renting/buying in the walled communities now, in order to gain access to their neighbors' homes.

Piccolo, you got it re: walled communities in the US. It is an elitist thing. Not to do with crime.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

stormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by izibear
If you have a home invasion over there, a fairly common occurence, you will most likely get raped/tortured, and shot at, if not murdered.
What a pile of paranoid crap.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

Piccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nice

Originally Posted by stormer

Wondered where you were Stormer.! Let's face you and Izibear never going to agree.

Cannot reaally see thieves buying into gated compounds. After all once you have stole the goods what would be the point!
Old Aug 26th 2005, 12:49 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Piccolo
Wondered where you were Stormer.! Let's face you and Izibear never going to agree.

Cannot reaally see thieves buying into gated compounds. After all once you have stole the goods what would be the point!
Piccolo. I should have phrased that, 'moving into walled compounds]. There have been reports in the S.A. media that this is a new trend.

As to Stormer, the king of denial, what can I say. Paranoid crap se voet. If it was paranoid crap, then huge numbers of South African homes, nearly all in Johannesburg in fact, and many in Cape Town too, wouldn't have steel gates between their living areas and their bedroom areas in addition to all the other security they already have.

Found an interesting report come out of UCT, online re: Observatory, the one in C.T. not the one in Joeys which might shed some light to those who have never lived in S.A.

http://www.africanstudies.uct.ac.za/...bservatory.pdf
Old Aug 26th 2005, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by izibear
Piccolo. I should have phrased that, 'moving into walled compounds]. There have been reports in the S.A. media that this is a new trend.

As to Stormer, the king of denial, what can I say. Paranoid crap se voet. If it was paranoid crap, then huge numbers of South African homes, nearly all in Johannesburg in fact, and many in Cape Town too, wouldn't have steel gates between their living areas and their bedroom areas in addition to all the other security they already have.

Found an interesting report come out of UCT, online re: Observatory, the one in C.T. not the one in Joeys which might shed some light to those who have never lived in S.A.

http://www.africanstudies.uct.ac.za/...bservatory.pdf

Thats looks a very good paper from the University. i will try to read it over the weekend. I will try to find the newspaper article about how communities
themselves can cope with and change social problems. It was about inner cities in the States.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

I will try to find the newspaper article about how communities
themselves can cope with and change social problems. It was about inner cities in the States.
I suspect there's a limit to what "communities" can do in the absence of competent government.

Judging from the number of black Africans I see around the UK lately, I suspect they're voting with their feet, just like the white and Indian Africans.

Pablo
Old Aug 26th 2005, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

I suspect there's a limit to what "communities" can do in the absence of competent government.

Judging from the number of black Africans I see around the UK lately, I suspect they're voting with their feet, just like the white and Indian Africans.

Pablo

I have yet to meet a South African black, most I talk to are from Zim, Ghana,
Nigeria, Congo. Majority are students or nurses.

The article I read was more to do about people being tired of squalor, being on benefits and losing their sons in gang gun wars. It was a really thoughtful article. Sunday Times last week I think.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

sa2oz will become famous soon enoughsa2oz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by stormer
A lady I know moved to Oz a few years back.
She has a child, her husband thought coming to Oz would burn out of her system and then she would want to go back to South Africa. He was car jacked a year or so ago and decided reluctantly to move here too but stayed in JHB! (they now are PR's of Oz) stayed in JHB RSA.
He has agreed to move here so she went back to RSA to see friends and collect her husband and see if it is so bad there.
They (she and child) were 3 days in JHB and apart from the average nonsense of filth etc she went to Rosebank to do some shopping.
There was a robbery there and someone killed.
Go to http://www.iol.co.za/ The star newspaper website, then enter a search word robbery (also try murder etc) and see the results!
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_i...esult_range=20
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_i...5663483208B265
She returned to where they were staying in a secure complex.
10 ft palasade with gate and 24 hr security to find the washing stolen.
Dream on Stormer
Old Sep 6th 2005, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

sa2oz will become famous soon enoughsa2oz will become famous soon enough

I forgot to mention that they are both highly qualified doctors.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Piccolo I think what Izibear meant was more in the line of the following... my friend had a very well protected house. She worked for a hi-tech security company and had an anti-theft system that was absolutely state of the art - cateyes, motion sensors, the works. She came home one night, five months pregnant and tired, to find some men waiting for her in her house. They'd already stolen everything, but they knew she was single, female and they wanted to have some "fun" before leaving. They left her HIV positive and killed her baby. They didn't even bother to hurry, because they were sure in the knowledge that the police would not respond. And they didn't. My friend's elderly neighbour could hear her scream the whole night long as she was beaten and repeatedly raped. He called the police several times, but they never came out to assist her. The next day, after the men had left she called her sister who took her to hospital where she was told the beatings had severed the placenta from the womb and her baby had died. As she came to after theatre a policeman had the audacity to come up to her and ask her for her statement!

Where do you think they got her security code to disable her system? Her alarm was never triggered, in fact they got through her whole security system using HER passwords and security keys. Where did they get these?

The security firm investigated the breach in security, naturally. They found that someone inside the company was selling clients' details to a crime syndicate. The clients they had were mostly the kind of people who could buy a whole lot of security and who needed it.

This is what I think Izabear meant by "buying into". You don't need to buy the entire complex, just one greedy pig in the security firm that services the complex is all you need.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G'Day
Piccolo I think what Izibear meant was more in the line of the following... my friend had a very well protected house. She worked for a hi-tech security company and had an anti-theft system that was absolutely state of the art - cateyes, motion sensors, the works. She came home one night, five months pregnant and tired, to find some men waiting for her in her house. They'd already stolen everything, but they knew she was single, female and they wanted to have some "fun" before leaving. They left her HIV positive and killed her baby. They didn't even bother to hurry, because they were sure in the knowledge that the police would not respond. And they didn't. My friend's elderly neighbour could hear her scream the whole night long as she was beaten and repeatedly raped. He called the police several times, but they never came out to assist her. The next day, after the men had left she called her sister who took her to hospital where she was told the beatings had severed the placenta from the womb and her baby had died. As she came to after theatre a policeman had the audacity to come up to her and ask her for her statement!

Where do you think they got her security code to disable her system? Her alarm was never triggered, in fact they got through her whole security system using HER passwords and security keys. Where did they get these?

The security firm investigated the breach in security, naturally. They found that someone inside the company was selling clients' details to a crime syndicate. The clients they had were mostly the kind of people who could buy a whole lot of security and who needed it.

This is what I think Izabear meant by "buying into". You don't need to buy the entire complex, just one greedy pig in the security firm that services the complex is all you need.
Dear God! that is truly appalling. I suspect, when something like this happens to "stormer" or his family, he'll flip and be out of SA in an instant and we won't hear another peep from him.

I was just at this local doctor's this morning. Once again I heard one of the nurses talking with an SA accent. There is certainly an exodus taking place. One just does not hear nearly so many e.g., Australian accents around the place, even though there are more white Australians than white South Africans.

Pablo
Old Sep 7th 2005, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

stormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant futurestormer has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sa2oz
She returned to where they were staying in a secure complex.10 ft palasade with gate and 24 hr security to find the washing stolen.
Her washing was stolen? Nooooooo.
Call the FBI, we just had the crime of the century... :scared:
Old Sep 7th 2005, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Dear God! that is truly appalling. I suspect, when something like this happens to "stormer" or his family.Pablo
Pablo, your comment above is out of line and malicious. Do not make it personal, you ignorant moron.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Apologies, Stormer, if you took offence. My intention was more to comment on the nature of naivety than to make any personal observation about your character... which hardly needs a commentary from me to make itself manifest to your readers.

Pablo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.