Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

South Africa is now to dangerous to live.

South Africa is now to dangerous to live.

Old Dec 24th 2007, 7:06 pm
Banned

guest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really nice
Default Re: South Africa is now to dangerous to live.

Originally Posted by shakari
Are you suggesting that violent crime doesn't happen in the UK? - What about the gun crime, gang murders & armed crime that happens in the UK?. - Just a few days ago a child was shot and killed on a private estate over there....... not even on an inner city estate!

Crime happens everywhere
and anyone who denies it is a fool. - One of the the best ways to avoid crime anywhere in the world, is to think and behave defensively. Don't go to ATMs at night or quiet locations, drive with your car doors locked, be careful where you stop and most of all be aware of your surroundings, assess dangers and take appropriate action where necessary to avoid trouble.
Yes crime happens everywhere......but in the UK I do not have to think about it to much at all...In Africa you have to think about it all the time from locking the gates on your house to not going into a town like joberg on your own at night or not letting your kids even walk 2 miles home from school.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 7:08 pm
Banned

guest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really nice

It's Africa, NOT the UK. - If you want the UK then that's where you live, but if you don't, then you go elsewhere.......... My point is that Africa is Africa, NOT the UK. Of course there's crime here, but a huge amount depends on where you live. Jo'burg has high crime rates as do some other parts of SA and elswhere - BUT if you choose the right area to live and act responsibly, then it's reasonably safe.

I actually know more people in SA who have been killed by Elephants than have been victims of violent crime...... and not many people get killed by Elephants in SA.
I smell elephant Bullshit
Old Dec 24th 2007, 7:11 pm
Banned

South Africa is the most dangerous country in the world, which is not at war.

Fifteen thousand people were murdered between January and September last year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/1924251.stm

one in 3 women have been raped

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/258446.stm

Last edited by guest5234; Dec 24th 2007 at 7:13 pm.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 7:42 pm
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guest5234
South Africa is the most dangerous country in the world, which is not at war.

But not in White River, apparently
Old Dec 24th 2007, 9:22 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guest5234
I smell elephant Bullshit
Actually that last bit about not many South Africans getting killed by elephants is quite true. They're not hanging out in the streets getting caught nicking your bananas now are they?? Would love to know what those nutters were doing hanging out in game parks provoking the poor beasts. They would much rather avoid you than charge. I gather the token message in this is not to piss off an elephant.
Old Dec 25th 2007, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

shakari is an unknown quantity at this point

First, I thought this was a forum for ex pat Brits to use for a friendly exchange of information and to help each other. - I was obviously mistaken. It appears to be a place where the internet police morons can insult people. Nevertheless, I'll quickly address a few points. Firstly, defensive behaviour IS a perfectly acceptable way to improve personal safety. I'm sorry for anyone who gets attacked anywhere in the world, and it does happen. My comments were not meant to imply those who do get mugged/murdered/raped etc are stupid...... but it doesn't alter the fact that if you behave responsibly and are aware of your surroundings, then you're considerably safer than if you don't. As for one in three women here have been raped....... I simply don't believe it. - Let's be honest, not everything you read in the newspapers is true. Reporters are nothing more than vermin who won't hesitate to fill in the blanks with their own imagination.

Bullshit huh? - I'm not sure if you're referring to my knowing more people who have been killed by Elephants than been victims of violent crime or to the way I earn my living........ so I'll cover both. I'll remove the images after 24 hours or so because I want to..... note I reserve copyright of all images.

Elephants....... Well, we don't see them much here outside the parks, but about 6 years ago one broke out of the KNP and was eventually shot about a mile from my home....... incidentally, a year or two after that, the same thing happened to 2 Lions from the KNP. A few months ago, another Elephant broke out and headed this way...... but that's not really particularly relevent. The people I personally knew who have been killed in recent years were one in the Pilansburg where the guy was guiding clients and filmcrew from Pakistan, two got nailed in the Zambezi Valley (Zim side). These were two years apart and both were guiding Americans and the other was a female zoologist, killed in Lion Sands which is in the private part of the KNP. She was in camp and trying to move two Elephants out of camp before the clients came back for breakfast. We buried her in the KNP.

Here we go wih the pics

Last edited by shakari; Dec 25th 2007 at 5:11 pm.
Old Dec 25th 2007, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

Here's some more

Last edited by shakari; Dec 25th 2007 at 5:11 pm.
Old Dec 25th 2007, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

Now I've proved my point to you dopes, I'll thank the moderators to remove my personal info and sign in privileges from their data base, because this site has far too many assholes for my liking.

Last edited by shakari; Dec 25th 2007 at 5:16 pm.
Old Dec 25th 2007, 5:06 pm
Banned

Now I've proved my point to you dopes, I'll thank the moderators to remove my personal info and sign in privileges from their data base, because this site has far too many idiots for my liking.
And you are the biggest one....oh look I have posted some boring frigging photos of a few lions and elephants.....well big deal.

Why is it that the people with the smallest minds always have the biggest mouths? Have you ever noticed that whenever you sit behind a keyboard, some idiot starts typing
Do yourself and everyone else a favor: take a fatal overdose of your medication. Maybe you wouldn't be such a dimwit, we are talking about the inner city the suburbs of South Africa...not some picture book place that people who have to work spend their 2 week vacation...you really are a fool.

Last edited by guest5234; Dec 25th 2007 at 5:13 pm.
Old Dec 25th 2007, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

OK - I'm off because I've never come across a sadder bunch of tossers in my life. Byeeeeeee

Wankers
Old Dec 25th 2007, 5:24 pm
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

Now I've proved my point to you dopes, I'll thank the moderators to remove my personal info and sign in privileges from their data base, because this site has far too many assholes for my liking.
Oh well, at least there's one less to worry about now
Old Dec 25th 2007, 5:26 pm
Banned

OK - I'm off because I've never come across a sadder bunch of tossers in my life. Byeeeeeee

Wankers
Bye,,,you won't be missed....Please try to have some small idea of what in the hell you're talking about before you try to post again. By the way, the photos are crap . get a decent camera.

Last edited by guest5234; Dec 25th 2007 at 5:29 pm.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 1:16 am

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

I don't think that the vast majority of Brits wanting to move to S.A. are moving to the middle of the bleeding bush where you're lucky to see another soul every few weeks if you so desire. We all know where White River is. In fact, I have friends who live in the area.

The matter is that they'll be moving to the major cities where the crime is concentrated.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 6:10 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting thread this, I know nothing about SA, but reading the posts here leaves me to wonder how true all this is.
How many of you actually live there and how many are just reading all this in the papers or on websites.
Surely if it is as bad as portrayed nobody would live there ?
Old Dec 26th 2007, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

... As you say, you know nothing about SA. People still live in plenty of places you might find unpleasant and violent.

Almost everyone here has had bad stuff happen to them, their family and/or their friends. How do I know? Because they've said so here. (Unless you want to suggest they're just making that up). And I can include myself too in that statistic of crime victim.

But hey, you know nothing about it. So why not find out if you're actually interested?

Last edited by Pablo; Dec 26th 2007 at 6:20 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.