Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Returning to South Africa

Returning to South Africa

Old Jun 15th 2009, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Returning to South Africa

Our South African passports have lapsed. If we were to return to South Africa to live there - do we have to get new ones before rertuning to South Africa or can we enter as "foreigners" and then sort it out when we are there?

Just interested to know?
Old Jun 15th 2009, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to South Africa

I believe the rule is that if you are a South African citizen, then you must enter SA only on your SA passport, not on any foreign passport you may also have.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

deedee_b will become famous soon enoughdeedee_b will become famous soon enough

I think that it would be easier getting the passports from inside the country at home affairs.
I believe you can travel in on other identification (ID book...drivers licence etc.) Not sure if that is still possible with the changes with the Wold Cup happening next year.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

depends on wether you applied for "permission" to become a citizen of another Country.
If not, then you are no longer a SA citizen and have to apply to become one before you can get another passport.
If yes, then you can get a temp passport from your Embassy.
but then you cant leave SA again until you have a SA passport.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 2:58 am
Just Joined

Uitlander has a brilliant futureUitlander has a brilliant futureUitlander has a brilliant futureUitlander has a brilliant futureUitlander has a brilliant futureUitlander has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Luma
Our South African passports have lapsed. If we were to return to South Africa to live there - do we have to get new ones before rertuning to South Africa or can we enter as "foreigners" and then sort it out when we are there?

Just interested to know?
"The South African Citizenship Amendment Act of 2004 which came into effect on 15 September 2004, it is now an offence for a major South African citizen to enter the Republic or depart making use of the passport of another country"

There is now up to 12 month prison sentence and a fine if you enter SA illegally.

You must get a SA passport or renounce SA citizenship.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uitlander
"The South African Citizenship Amendment Act of 2004 which came into effect on 15 September 2004, it is now an offence for a major South African citizen to enter the Republic or depart making use of the passport of another country"

There is now up to 12 month prison sentence and a fine if you enter SA illegally.

oops we used our foreign passports for our last visit as our South African passports had expired.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uitlander

If you have'nt requested permission to obtain dual Nationality then your SA Citizenship is automatically cancelled so you are no longer a SA Citizen and therefore not breaking the law by entering on a Non SA Passport.
The problem only arises if you wish to work or stay or purchase property in
SA.

Typically short sighted for a country that is desperate for Skills to return
Old Jun 25th 2009, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

Uitlander has a brilliant futureUitlander has a brilliant futureUitlander has a brilliant futureUitlander has a brilliant futureUitlander has a brilliant futureUitlander has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Daxk
If you have'nt requested permission to obtain dual Nationality then your SA Citizenship is automatically cancelled so you are no longer a SA Citizen and therefore not breaking the law by entering on a Non SA Passport.
The problem only arises if you wish to work or stay or purchase property in
SA.

Typically short sighted for a country that is desperate for Skills to return
If you legally have dual citizenship, but have let your SA passport lapse, or did not use it to enter SA. Then possibly you would be breaking the law??

It would be interesting to know, as I understand that SA prisons are not much fun for white people these days, particularly if you are put in a cell with an 18 stone pervert with AIDS.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 9:42 pm
Member Delux

Juggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant future

It would be interesting to know, as I understand that SA prisons are not much fun for white people these days, particularly if you are put in a cell with an 18 stone pervert with AIDS.
As apposed to those crazy days when prisons were a lot of fun for white people...?
Old Jun 26th 2009, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Juggernaut
As apposed to those crazy days when prisons were a lot of fun for white people...?

OK Juggernaut, I confess - I've never actually been in a South African prison - So I must yield to your greater knowledge on the subject.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gollygosh,Juggernaut, when I was hitching in my youth I often asked for lodgings at the SAP station, often slept in cells,
Later,as part of Blockwatch I often spent time at Police Cells, I never saw women being put in with Male prisoners, or kids with adults, any disturbances were quickly quelled.
My late friend WAS put into General pop at Midrand, he WAS raped, he did scream, no-one came.
there have been a couple of reports of that sort of thing happening with our mostly illiterate new SAPS.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 10:13 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juggernaut
haaa made me laugh
Old Jul 1st 2009, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Just interested to know?
Why would you want to live back in S.A. compared to Perth? Do you have Oz passports now?
Old Jul 1st 2009, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Family would be my main reason for returning. After 10 years it is only getting harder especially with young children who don't understand why they grandparents, cousins and aunts & uncles live on another continent.

I want to return by hubby doesn't so for now we stay and enjoy Western Australia.

No we don't have Oz passports as we have to be here 4 years before we can apply. We have 1 more year to go.

I've lived in 4 countries and have enjoyed them all but Africa will always be my first love.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Family would be my main reason for returning. After 10 years it is only getting harder especially with young children who don't understand why they grandparents, cousins and aunts & uncles live on another continent.

I want to return by hubby doesn't so for now we stay and enjoy Western Australia.

No we don't have Oz passports as we have to be here 4 years before we can apply. We have 1 more year to go.

I've lived in 4 countries and have enjoyed them all but Africa will always be my first love.
Ok, that makes sense. You are gonna get those Oz passports before moving back though?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.