Reload this Page >

Potential move to Cape Town

Potential move to Cape Town

Old Apr 10th 2014, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

alexx5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Potential move to Cape Town

Hey guys, first post so please be nice

Just doing some digging really. My hubby is Dutch, but used to live in SA and thus, has permenant residency there. He also has a house in Constantia near CT which is rented now. So I guess we'd be moving there in the future. I'm English and have no real ties to SA.
He moved out of SA in '99 (not CT, but Jo'burg & Durban.. he was there for 11 years) I'd just like some vibes on now. I think he's looking back a bit with rose-tinted glasses as by the time we move there it will be two decades since he's been there even!
Job wise he'll prbably be retired but I'm quite a bit younger than him so will keep working. I have a degree but haven't worked in a "proper job" for quite a while. We are both scuba instructors living in Egypt at the moment.
Job wise, what's the situation for me do you think? hard to get/easy? I can turn my hand to most things.
Easy to get work visa etc?
I've lived out of UK for years now so I'm not completely naive as to other cultures/countries quirks

Thanks in advance guys
Old Apr 10th 2014, 8:21 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Potential move to Cape Town

I am curious what others have to say but I have been out of South Africa for more than 20 years and I know my permanent residence visa is no longer valid. I think it expired after 3 years when I left, so not sure if his is still good since he has not been back in many years. Now with a different government in power, the odds are not good. As for getting a visa and working, hate to tell you but it will be a massive challenge at getting that visa, let alone a job. Sorry to burst the bubble but I am sure you will get pretty much the same info from others.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 7:01 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

The job won't be the hard part - there are lots if you know where to look, especially if you have a degree. Your problem will be the visa. And no visa = no job.

I'm not sure what your plan is to get one - if the PR has expired, and you have no other qualifications to live and work here, you're pretty much stuck.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 5:26 am
Just Joined

stuart2704 is an unknown quantity at this point

Think twice. I've been here 8 years from London and would go back in a heartbeat if I could. Here's why
The job situation is dire. I am unemployed at 60,,,and white with a wealth of business experience, a degree and also an ex yteacher. The pay if you can get it sucks..I don't know how ordinary South Africans live. Cape Town itself is unquestionably beautiful and if you have hard currency and property which you seem to do then it could be good...as a holiday place and is you choose to ignore the realities of this place which are -
THE ILLUSION OF WEALTH - there are a few wealthy people but there is also the illusion of the 4x4driving butch SA macho men with the trophy wives at the best schools in credit up to their eyeballs
THE PEOPLE Have met some nice people...interestingly though, those I am close to are either non Capetonian South Africans or expats!!
THE WHITES are generally so reserved and rude it's frightening
THE COLOUREDS are angry
THE BLACKS are hungry, ill educated and warm
Everyone is dishonest, whether they are making outrageous promises and stealing your time, trust, emotions or personal items...and if you're a victim of it, there's a sgrug of the ehoulders as if it's your fault.."Well, what do you expect?"
And don't even think about the corruption of the Government both local and national, it's a disgrace.
Sorry this sounds so gloomy. Cape Town looks like paradise, believ me, I've experienced hell here. This is a cowboy town in a third rate, third world country and it's got worse even since I've been here. If I could, I'd go back to the UK in a heartbeat. By all means come, but make sure you have an escape route

Last edited by ededed; Sep 5th 2014 at 11:39 am. Reason: As per my other snip.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 11:54 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Stuart,

Things sound Kak. Sorry about that - BE is full of warm, helpful and friendly people - I'm sure some will have advice and support. Are you really stuck in SA? No job? I know some people who work in recruitment and business support services. Let us know your line of work and maybe someone here can help.

A lot of what you say will resonate with a lot of people. Find a good job that pays well and you can live well. No job, no money - and South Africa can be a nightmare with no support structure despite huge taxes.

Let us know what we can help with - sounds like you need some practical advice.

Good luck,

Ed
Old Sep 5th 2014, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

stuart2704 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Ed
Any help would be appreciated. I have a current CV and would happily explore opportunities. I am a qualified school teacher but most of my working life has been in sales and sales management with a heavy dose of Training and Development. I had my own business for near 20 years in the UK and we came here in 2006. Won't go into all the details but bluntly, South Africa has run it's course for me. I knew it was a risk and at the time a risk worth taking so don't regret the decision. However, Looking back over the last eight years, the record shows I don't fit here.

If I could get a job back home I'd jump at the chance and yes, I am really stuck in South Africa!! Don't currently have the means to get back
Old Sep 5th 2014, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by stuart2704
Thanks Ed
Any help would be appreciated. I have a current CV and would happily explore opportunities. I am a qualified school teacher but most of my working life has been in sales and sales management with a heavy dose of Training and Development. I had my own business for near 20 years in the UK and we came here in 2006. Won't go into all the details but bluntly, South Africa has run it's course for me. I knew it was a risk and at the time a risk worth taking so don't regret the decision. However, Looking back over the last eight years, the record shows I don't fit here.

If I could get a job back home I'd jump at the chance and yes, I am really stuck in South Africa!! Don't currently have the means to get back
Ok, good - email me your CV and I will flash it past a few contacts I have down there. I know a bunch of people who work with offshore clients in service and BPO who are always looking for good people, especially Brits.
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 2:57 pm
Banned

Biancavj is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, I work for a company that deals mostly with UK expats as either clients or employees.

<snip>

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 24th 2014 at 4:54 pm. Reason: Please don't put your email address on your posts. The OP can contact you via the forum if they wish. Thx.