Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Permanent Residence Stamp

Permanent Residence Stamp

Old Jul 13th 2011, 11:27 am
Just Joined

bentleyglenn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Permanent Residence Stamp

I have renewed my British Passport and need to get the SA Permenent Residence Stamp in it - my previous passport has it in, I do have the original docs to prove everything. Does anyone know how long it takes to get this stamp in your passport and what the procedure is? Can one go to any Dept of Home Affairs? Is there a price to do this? Thanks.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permanent Residence Stamp

Last I checked a couple of yrs ago, not all HA offices did this. E.g., Harrison Street - yes; Randburg - no. Roodepoort - yes. So phone ahead (will the phone be answered? - an open question). Again last I checked, there was no fee, and it was just a case of taking your new passport, plus viewing your old one or your other docs, and then stamping the new passport. A matter of a few minutes, once you had fought your way through the refugee-camp chaos.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 6:31 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

I have to do exactly the same thing - and have put it off because of the very situation Pablo describes...best hiking boots and sharp elbows on lads, I'm going in.

Please let us know how you get on and where you could do it....cheers.
Old Jul 15th 2011, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

As Pablo said, but it took about two hours the last time I did this a year ago, and they weren't busy. Just depends how "lucky" you get, I suppose, so sit and wait. Making a fuss will probably result in a longer wait, someone who was there at the same time as we were was told to come back "next week" for some reason.

BTW, the Harrison Street office doesn't open at the same time every day, so it's better to check first. The queues outside are intimidating first thing in the morning but they move reasonably quickly once the doors open.