Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

The News Item thread - all news links here

The News Item thread - all news links here

Old Mar 19th 2008, 6:44 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The News Item thread - all news links here

THabo implicated in the arms deal

http://www.24.com/news/?p=saa&i=869155
Old Mar 19th 2008, 6:59 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:DA calls for Eskom probe

http://www.24.com/news/?p=saa&i=868856

The Democratic Alliance on Wednesday renewed its call for an independent inquiry into Eskom, in the wake of news that the utility is seeking a massive tariff hike – 60%

THe outcry is in lieu of the potential crippling effect the hike will have on the SA economy whilst Escom hand out R10 million performance bonuses to it’s managers.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 7:19 pm
Banned

Default Re:ACSA inform of long delays at airport

ACSA – informs of airport delays

http://www.24.com/news/?p=saa&i=868857

With the easter weekend at hand delays of up to 90 minutes for local and 2 and a half hours for international are expected.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 8:06 am
Banned

I don't see this thread working and ultimately you can boot off the supposed "gang" members here and then what you going to be left with?

The other gang, that is - three one-line posts and never seen again.

I get into some seriously heated debates in the NZ forum ( I know this is hard to believe ) but at the end of the day find myself agreeing with the same members on different topics and it is an adult understanding.

It is normal to disagree on certain things

Holding a gun a saying that you are considering closing down this section of the forum if it doesn’t go the way you want it to, is not really what I see as freedom of speech.

In essence there are heaps of viewers on the Africa forum but few posters and I would imagine the site owners are trying to kick-start this section and see this as needing a clean-up.

Personally it is the same question that is asked, why the world is not getting involved with Mugabe (for example), it is Africa and most people don’t care so why should they come on the Africa forum?

Africa is rated by most world surveys as bottom of the list in terms of countries to live in, I am positive that those facts impact the attraction of the Africa forum.

If I were running this forum there is most definitely the bigger business opportunities to be catering for South Africans that want to leave Africa rather than moving into Africa. Judging from the emails we have received from our friends living in South Africa this year.

Perhaps the site needs to encourage the existing (active) members on this forum to invite new members and engage in exchange with them on the topic of moving out of Africa. It would be natural for such members (such as SAers) to want to discus the nitty gritty and the things that are driving them to leave their homes and families with people that can say “ been there done that” .

This is way different from folk leaving the UK due to crap weather or bad telly. People will relate better to like minded people and of course more like-minded people a better “tone: that you are seeking for this forum?

That was my personal experience and the reason I joined this forum. So whilst my initial interest was in researching certain topics regarding New Zealand I also became active in the (then) South Africa forum.

Perhaps it should be asked of the members to offer suggestions how it could work for both parties as a mutual solution to whatever the goal you are trying to reach.

I guess this is mine
Old Mar 20th 2008, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

I agree on this point. Almost every thread relates either directly or indirectly to current affairs or current situations. To force all that into one thread with a nothing title seems rather absurd.

On the 'gang up' thing, one should always strive to be courteous, but feelings can sometimes be strongly felt, especially when one has lost loved ones and feel that this is being dismissed or made light of. Also, there is such a thing as knowledge, however unfashionable such a view has become, and it may just be that there is a broad consensus on certain questions - rather than a 'gang' - merely because of long-lived experience.

There is also a concerted attempt by those who wish to shut down debate to close down inconvenient criticism... I'm not saying on this list, but generally. China on Tibet is a good current example, with their smearing of the Dalai Lama. But the ANC in SA tries the same thing.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 9:07 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

My answers in red for you

Originally Posted by Campbells
I don't see this thread working and ultimately you can boot off the supposed "gang" members here and then what you going to be left with?

Thats not the intention ..... you dont seem to be listening to me at all Cambells!

It is normal to disagree on certain things

Of course it is, but that doesn't mean belittling people as often happens here

Holding a gun a saying that you are considering closing down this section of the forum if it doesn’t go the way you want it to, is not really what I see as freedom of speech.

I am not considering anything like that. The site won't tolerate new posters being constantly agressively attacked for their view, just because the other forum members dont agree with them. You have every right to express your opinions on here, as does anyone.

Perhaps the site needs to encourage the existing (active) members on this forum to invite new members and engage in exchange with them

Hurrahhhhh! I know you meant something else, but this is exactly what is required. Encouragement through reasoned debate and the benefit of "your" experiences!

Perhaps it should be asked of the members to offer suggestions how it could work for both parties as a mutual solution to whatever the goal you are trying to reach.

The goal has never changed. To allow people to come on this section without being derided and attacked just because they have an opposite point of view to other posters here. You have an excellent opportunity to empart your first hand knowledge to them .... but instead they get chased away and dont come back!
Old Mar 20th 2008, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Pablo (shock horror) that one thread with a catch-all title is unwieldy and unlikely to attract as much attention as individual threads specific to each news item, or indeed relating to different countries.

And (even more shockingly) I agree with some of the points Campbells makes above. And as for the "ganging up"... if anyone gets riled and goes over the top, you will still be there as our guardian angel to rap knuckles.

In short Mitzyboy please let us return to the status quo ante - those forum members who aren't interested in yet another SA crime story won't click on that thread... but if they want to hear the latest on life in Mozambique or Zim or wherever, the thread titles will make it clear how to access what they really want.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

and I agree with everyone...campbells- just tone it down a bit mate- give new posters some space - if anything suspicious about a poster, just refer it to mitzyboy. Of course mitzyboy should not have to become big chief censor day after day-it might go to his head so lets all cool it and use approriate less aggresive language (of which I am a guilty I know)

Originally Posted by newshoney
I agree with Pablo (shock horror) that one thread with a catch-all title is unwieldy and unlikely to attract as much attention as individual threads specific to each news item, or indeed relating to different countries.

And (even more shockingly) I agree with some of the points Campbells makes above. And as for the "ganging up"... if anyone gets riled and goes over the top, you will still be there as our guardian angel to rap knuckles.

In short Mitzyboy please let us return to the status quo ante - those forum members who aren't interested in yet another SA crime story won't click on that thread... but if they want to hear the latest on life in Mozambique or Zim or wherever, the thread titles will make it clear how to access what they really want.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 11:23 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiftdelete
and I agree with everyone...campbells- just tone it down a bit mate- give new posters some space - if anything suspicious about a poster, just refer it to mitzyboy. Of course mitzyboy should not have to become big chief censor day after day-it might go to his head so lets all cool it and use approriate less aggresive language (of which I am a guilty I know)
I've managed very happily stealth modding in the past, but it flares up here from time to time
Old Mar 20th 2008, 8:35 pm
Banned

Yes Mitzy,

I think in all fairness the other forums represent countries where 52 murders a day are NOT happening.

So whilst other forums are happy to discuss TV programmes and types of cornflakes available the topics here are a bit meatier.

Obviously news relates to the current condition and happenings of a country and in the NZ forum I have been debating the road driving standards of the country on several threads and there is a difference of opinion.

When there are surveys or news topics I post these links to strengthen the debate as it adds facts to the debate.

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
So ....... how does the rest of the forum manage to function perfect;y well without constant newslinks being posted all the time?

Don't forget, Sue has warned you before and banned you I think also for doing this. Part of the reason I opened that newlink section was to try to get away from them all over the forum

Cheers

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I'm not sure how I didn't make it clear, but the news link thread was for news links, and the idea wasn't to then double post them into the main forum.

I have given you hints on several occasions now about the constant posting of links and what admin feel about it, and I really dont know what more I can do to make it clear to you as you've already had a temp ban I believe for doing it.

The whole SA forum situation is being monitored by both Admin and the site owners in America so I have no idea what they will make of your double posting just to get around my moderation attempts.

Rgds
Mitzyboy
Oops,

My mistake.

I understood that you wanted the news links in the news thread so in my understanding, if I have posted the link what harm have I done to link my message to it?

I am not trying to be smart but if the forum allows links to be posted in separate news thread what is the issue?

Really Mitzy, as other members have pointed out the news thread solution will not work in that case. How can other members comment on that thread if there are a whole variety of posts on there referring to many different news issues?
Old Mar 20th 2008, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Rick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really nice

Yes Mitzy,

I think in all fairness the other forums represent countries where 52 murders a day are NOT happening.

So whilst other forums are happy to discuss TV programmes and types of cornflakes available the topics here are a bit meatier.

Obviously news relates to the current condition and happenings of a country and in the NZ forum I have been debating the road driving standards of the country on several threads and there is a difference of opinion.

When there are surveys or news topics I post these links to strengthen the debate as it adds facts to the debate.
Funnily enough I have actually (I am not speaking for anyone else) read more into the news articles you have posted in the past two days than before.

Without wanting to start any arguments with anyone here and this is NOT an attack - when I read one of your news threads I look at the link, and then look down the posts. By the time I have got there the same people have said the same thing about more or less every article. It gets to the point where it's pointless opening the thread. If a particular story is important and (I hate to use this word in the context of violence and crime but for the lack of another.....) interesting like the Julian Lap attack which I know some of you had personal interests in wanting information, then it should get it's own thread. But many of the links just say the same old thing. Perhaps this thread should be a way of linking to stories and then if there is enough discussion about a particular one, having a seperate thread.

There are ways of clearing up this forum, quite easy ones. It would start with a certain group of people letting others give their opinions and experiences without being attacked. Without having immature lines of "Promoting your business again" every time I post something on visiting Zimbabwe for example.
The people who do this know who they are, the mods know who they are, you Campbell know who they are. If those people stood back a little and gave a little respect to others, it would be the first step in improving the forum.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 9:16 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Rick b
Funnily enough I have actually (I am not speaking for anyone else) read more into the news articles you have posted in the past two days than before.

Without wanting to start any arguments with anyone here and this is NOT an attack - when I read one of your news threads I look at the link, and then look down the posts. By the time I have got there the same people have said the same thing about more or less every article. It gets to the point where it's pointless opening the thread. If a particular story is important and (I hate to use this word in the context of violence and crime but for the lack of another.....) interesting like the Julian Lap attack which I know some of you had personal interests in wanting information, then it should get it's own thread. But many of the links just say the same old thing. Perhaps this thread should be a way of linking to stories and then if there is enough discussion about a particular one, having a seperate thread.

There are ways of clearing up this forum, quite easy ones. It would start with a certain group of people letting others give their opinions and experiences without being attacked. Without having immature lines of "Promoting your business again" every time I post something on visiting Zimbabwe for example.
The people who do this know who they are, the mods know who they are, you Campbell know who they are. If those people stood back a little and gave a little respect to others, it would be the first step in improving the forum.
Hello Rick

If you have read the threads then perhaps you missed an important part, maybe you were just looking for what YOU wanted to read.

In the case of the Lap slaughter, there was another member that didn’t even know about the news and heard via this forum.

It term of my reference to you promoting your business, I referred to Stuart James who did promote his business and tout for clients here. One of highest response threads on this forum. It was only some 2000 odd posts later that this was revealed.
Somewhat missleadng I would say !

As you may not have read it was obviously NOT ONLY MY OPINION that you were promoting Zimbabwe as a safe destination and it was pointed out to you as otherwise.

Sorry if you feel this was immature

I would imagine this has upset you and perhaps you are on some revenge vendetta.

The certain group of people you refer to Rick, would they be perhaps a group of people that think along the same lines, that is , that Zimbabwe is not a safe tourist destination.

Your modus operadi is typical African
Old Mar 20th 2008, 9:44 pm
Banned

Contrary to the common belief on this forum

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...&postcount=128

So actually, it is useful and people do appreciate the honesty and in amongst the heated debates can form their own opinions.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 10:49 pm
Senior Moment

Contrary to the common belief on this forum

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...&postcount=128

So actually, it is useful and people do appreciate the honesty and in amongst the heated debates can form their own opinions.
Of course its useful to people Campbells, haven't said it isn't
Old Mar 21st 2008, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Newshoney?? whats it worth for me NOT to post a link to AP staffers skinnydipping at Musilio??

advise if you need my offshore bank account no??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.