Reload this Page >

Moving to Mwanza, Tanzania

Moving to Mwanza, Tanzania

Old Jul 16th 2013, 11:32 am
Just Joined

laserspewpewpew is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Mwanza, Tanzania

Hi,

I've just accepted an offer to go and work in Mwanza and will be moving out there mid-October.

Having spent my entire life to date living and working in the UK, it's slowly sinking in quite how huge a change this is going to be. Obviously I'm a little bit worried, but at the end of the day, I know that this is an opportunity that isn't going to come along again any time soon, and it's going to be a fantastic experience.

Obviously with 3 months to go, I should have plenty of time to sort out all the details of moving, but is there any general advice that people are able to provide?

I also have a few concerns about the tax implications of moving out there - I've been assured by my employer that this will all be taken care of, but I just want to make sure that I don't end up being taxed twice. If I'm moving out for 2 years, is it easier to just declare myself non-resident in the UK? I'll be based out in Mwanza full-time, so I think I meet the eligibility criteria for this, but happy to hear opinions of those who've got experience in this regard.

Also, any advice on shipping my things over would be much appreciated - have done a tentative bit of research on google, but not sure how reputable some of the companies out there are, or whether it's better to move things by sea or air.

Lastly (and sorry for rambling on), what's the expat community like out in Mwanza. I've seen that there's a sailing club out there, which looks like a good bet, but any other guidance on sporting/social activities would be much apppreciated!

Cheers,
Dom
Old Sep 16th 2013, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

Brit.Loz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Mwanza, Tanzania

Hi and sorry for a very late reply. I used this forum before heading to Bahrain and KSA, but my relevance to you is that I was in Tanzania from 2009-2012, having moved from UK (I'm British).

If your move is still on and you need any general advice, I may be able to help you a little. I've only visited Mwanza once (based in Arusha) so it won't be specific to your area, but maybe can be useful.

I will try and remember to check back in from time to time.

Best of luck.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 9:12 am
Just Joined

Hi,

Thanks for your response - I'm still heading out, and moving date is likely to be towards the end of October. I think I've got most logistical things sorted out now, but any info on adjusting to life in Tanzania, ingratiating myself with expat communities, etc would all be very welcome!

Thanks
Old Sep 16th 2013, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

OK that's good. Firstly, Mwanza is quite a nice in comparison to some other places. You have the beach, some nice rocks and as a town/city it's quite tidy (again, relative to other places). I don't have any knowledge of other expats there, but I'm sure there will be. There could be Chamber of Commerce meetings there, which might put you in contact with other expats.

Most of the locals speak English (Swahili is first language, English is taught in schools and will be good enough to communicate). It's a very safe country (i.e. no domestic/civil unrest) but do be very careful if you are white, you will need to be aware of what you carry (and how), where you go etc. The people are friendly, they will call you 'mzungu' if you are white (even kids will do it), do not be offended by that (it's just a cultural thing). Crime is more 'opportunist' - people are poor, an opportunity may present itself, and people will take it. But generally, normal good sense and care should see you OK.

One of the major issues is electricity and powercuts. I'm not talking UK-type cuts where you may lose it for 10 minutes, it can be 24 hours (or more) often day after day. However, my experience of Mwanza was that the power supply there is much more stable and should not be as bad as all that. What type of accommodation will you have? If it's your own (rented), I would suggest checking if there is a generator.

We transported our whole house of belongings (and vehicle) when we went. All arrived OK but the company we used was not great and we ended up paying taxes that were not explained and to be honest genuine (on the car). The customs people had us over a barrel but if it's just personal effects, you shouldn't have any import tax issues.

I'm not sure what job you do (?) but one thing to bring you cheer is their tax system. Every month you will be deducted tax on your earnings (it goes to NSSF). However, on leaving the job, you are entitled to get every bit of this refunded to you (they just use the money to invest). You have to fill in some forms and it can take a few months, but I got all mine after some time. As this will likely come back after you depart, you will have to make arrangements with your Tz bank to be able to send this back to wherever you want it to go. They have many reasonable banks there, such as Barclays, Standard Chartered, and a few others. I was HSBC in UK and they don't have that there, so one of these two may be your best bet. You will be able to have an ATM card etc. Payment of things is generally done by cash, there is no real debit/credit card infrastructure.

If you have a fixed contract period (e.g. two years) you have to be aware that renewal of a work permit can be an issue. I was a manager for a big global company and my renewal was refused, even on appeal by my company. My regret on that was not factoring in 'exit transportation' to my deal, as the onus is then on you to ship any belongings home. Small issue though, not a major problem, I just would ask for it another time.

As an expat, you are entititled to free medical care (they will give you a card that can be used at a variety of hospitals), and if it's a decent employer, you should get given return tickets to your own country at least once per year (knowing what kind of job you have may allow me to gauge all this better for you). Malaria is a factor although in my time I never suffered from it. Maybe I was lucky, but sensible things like mosquito nets at night are a reasonable idea. My advice would be to spray your room at night, and keep all windows closed once the sun has gone in (usually about 6.30-7.00 pm). If you're outside, you can use spray it on yourself (supermarkets sell these things).

Always buy bottled water (available anywhere). Local beer is not too bad (bottled) and you will find plenty of 'usual' produce available in the shops. I'm not sure about Mwanza, but Shoprite is not bad, if there is one.

Satellite (or cable) TV is available. DSTV is really quite good, and you can even get some BBC channels (BBC Entertainment/News etc). DSTV also has plenty of movies, sports and other choices. Internet facilities are available but really poor by UK standards. You usually get a modem stick, but smartphones and apps work much better. Vodacom is one of the better ones but again check in your area.

There is no 'public transport' system, although locals use minibus (called daladala). I wouldn't recommend that to you, but assume you will be given some sort of transport? Driving is as per UK, so nothing to worry about there, although the driving standard and style is something to be aware about. They aren't the best, and you have to look left, right all the time. People will do crazy things, and as an expat it would be helpful if you can avoid any accident. The police are called to very RTA in Tz, and the vehicles must remain in the position of the accident until after the police have been and taken all details.

There's lots more to say, but hopefully I have covered some of the areas that are possibly at the front of your mind. Feel free to ask for anything more specific (the only thing I can't say too much about is the expat scene in Mwanza really).

All in all, you should enjoy it. I'm going back there very soon (Arusha) as my wife is still there and we have our house there. If it was that bad, I wouldn't be returning! Best of luck.

Last edited by Brit.Loz; Sep 16th 2013 at 10:16 am.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

Loz - thanks for that, really useful to have such an in-depth perspective of someone who's been there/done that, etc.

I'll be working for a UK university, running a clinical trials unit out there - I'll be employed by the UK institution, and have declared myself non-resident to HMRC, so I presume I'll just be liable for local income tax and will need to write to the local authorities to sort that out somehow.

My employer has sorted out somewhere for me to live on a temporary basis when I get out there next month, and it looks like another employee of the same institution will be leaving in November and so they're looking at securing her house for me (or if it's not suitable, they'll line up a few other options for me to look at).

Re: shipping etc, luckily my employer will be footing the bill for this, and they have passed me details of a few reliable companies that they frequently use to send things out, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Initially, I'll be on a 2 year fixed term contract, and (fingers crossed) the work permit should be arranged by the time I'm out there - again, the institution has arranged all of this for me, and I'll have a contact based in the UK to sort out any complications if they arise.

I'm just looking at sourcing a few things now before I head off - is it worth buying things like mosquito repellents/nets here in the UK, or are they likely to be better priced & better quality out there?

Thanks again for all your help, it really is much appreciated!
Old Sep 20th 2013, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

OK, well it sounds like you are working for a responsible employer and they are taking care of all the right things, like mine did for me.

On the tax front, I was employed by a Tz company (although the same firm in essence as my previous UK employer) with a new contract, paid locally there etc. I'm not sure on the tax implications that might be different for you, but assuming you are being paid locally that side, your employer should sort out your NSSF (tax) contributions for you - they would submit monthly tax declarations for all employees to NSSF, so nothing for you to set up. You will get given a card (like medical one, both are credit card size) containing your NSSF details, number etc.

Rental places can be fine, but for safety it's good if they have a reputable security man employed. Don't be scared by that, it's more prevention than cure, but you really should check that is provided. Often the monthly rent includes this but I suggest checking and if it's not, maybe this can be included for you there or at another property. The guards usually just stay outside, at the entrance gate, so don't impair on your living space. Hopefully the rental place will have a generator also, because dark, powerless nights take some getting used to! If you are able to take the place of your leaving worker, assuming it's reasonably secure, located and comfortable, that sounds a fairly good idea.

I'm sure your shipping is pretty much sorted now. If not, UK firms like Crown are good, and do go to Tz. Bishops Move are another we thought were fair. It might take 4-6 weeks if shipping by sea, so factor in that you might need to buy/acquire 'temporary' stuff until your own kit arrives. I wouldn't worry about buying things like mosquito nets or spays here, all are easily available that end. I think the one we used is 'Expel'. Is there any other stuff you think you could not live without whilst your stuff is en-route? If so, I can advise if you can easily obtain it there or not.

I wouldn't worry about the full work permit being issued after arrival, but have you been given any sort of 'visa' or permit, or are you travelling as a tourist and paying $50 US at the airport? When I travelled, I had a copy of my work permit with me, but was still refused on the flight at Heathrow until I had purchased a return ticket (that I did not need) back to UK. You may get lucky, it depends on the day/staff, but it was a last minute panic at the airport for me that I was not expecting - my company had no idea that was going to happen either. If put in that position, buy a fully refundable ticket that you can cash-in for refund (I think mine was KLM). It's a nonsense, but be prepared that it may happen. On the medical front, Tz airports often ask for proof of a yellow fever vaccination certificate.

If you need anything else, feel free to message or PM me. I'm going back to Arusha soon myself, so either before or after, I'm happy to try and help you out if you need it.

Last edited by Brit.Loz; Sep 20th 2013 at 1:19 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2013, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

AJMJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Im a new member, and I joined because of this particular thread. I may be moving to Mwanza with my family (inc two children), and ensuring they can access a good education while we are there is very important to me, of course. Would anyone be able to advise me on schools there? I have found Isamilo school online, which looks good. Is that the case?

I would appreciate any advice or recommendations.

thanks!
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 8:59 am
Just Joined

Gandalong is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I am moving to Mwanza in the summer with my family. I am taking up a teaching role at Isamilo International School. In answer to the query above the school has a good reputation and delivers a British Curriculum.
Many of the comments here have been really helpful. We are wondering about the sort of things it's better to bring from the UK and the sort of costs for shipping. We are being provided with a house which will have basic furnishings. Also approximately how long does the immigration process take?

Thanks
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Firstly, AJMJ, apologies that I could not help with your questions. My knowledge of Mwanza was limited to one trip of just a few days. But Gandalong seems to think it's fine! Hopefully if you have gone (and lasers too) all is turning out well.

Gandalong, if your company is paying for shipping, I would suggest a 20ft container, perhaps by Crown? Maybe the other guys have some other names to suggest now. I won't recommend the company I used back in 2009. Sockets are the same as in UK, so electrical appliances will work if you take them. Again, unless you are very smart/lucky, and send in advance, you will have a wait of 4+ weeks for your belongings to arrive after you do. You may want to try and factor in the cost of return shipping when you leave (either in to your contract, or beware of the costs you will have to absorb). I'm not quite sure what you mean when you ask how long is the immigration process? It took me one year for my visas and permits to be issued after I accepted my job offer, but my company knew and waited (the company have to arrange these things for the employee). Your new employer should be able to give you info on your own situation. The rest of the advice given above would basically be enough for you to get some idea, but if there is anything specific, I would try my best to answer.

P.S. I was in Arusha until a few weeks back and after a truly disastrous period before Christmas, the power situation then became much, much better after they did some work at Songosongo plant. With stable power, it can be a really good opportunity to experience a different kind of lifestyle.

Last edited by Brit.Loz; Feb 22nd 2014 at 7:04 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 9:12 am
Just Joined

FYI - been here 6 months now and everything seems to be going pretty well...

Immigration process hasn't been too bad for me, but that's mainly down to my employer pushing things along. I arrived in October and received my residence permit in February. However, I know other expats who've been out here for a lot longer than I have and are still waiting for theirs to be finalised, so I guess it entirely depens on how involved your employer is with the process.

Loz - thanks again for all the extremely helpful info you provided previously!
Old Apr 28th 2014, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Karibu sana!

I'm pleased it's going well for you so far and feel that the employer plays a massive part in the settlement process for expats.
Old May 9th 2014, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Gandalong is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Moving to Mwanza, Tanzania

[QUOTE=Brit.Loz;11143148]I'm not quite sure what you mean when you ask how long is the immigration process? QUOTE]

Sorry, I meant gaining residency - I have been told it can take a while and this restrict what you can do in your down timee.g game parks / flights cost more.

Thanks for all the advice. Shipping will need to be paid for but I get a settling in allowance. Unlikely to ship dig stuff - probably some home comforts - some DVD's, games etc to make us feel at home. Might want to bring a piano keyboard as my family play - not sure how available they will be.