Moving to Cape Town

Old Feb 25th 2008, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Cape Town

Originally Posted by Stanley10
No I'm not looking for statistics, just a country that says they do not recognise an S African education. One will do.
Campbells is correct on this. Examples that come to mind that I have had my own attention drawn to recently. Australia: SA Engineering degrees awarded after a certain date are no longer merely accepted as equivalent. In the UK, SA medicine. Australia: SA driving licences now require an additional test (at least in WA, which is where a correspondent of mine wrote to me from).

Why is this happening? Because the standards of SA universities are being debauched in order to ensure that too many people who should not be at university in the first place are not failed.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
But that does not mean that everyone that comes on here asking a similar question is a member if the homecoming revolution and should be treated as so does it?
Is that what Tegwyn said?
Old Feb 25th 2008, 1:46 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pablo
Is that what Tegwyn said?
Yes ......... indeed he did

Those alarm bells ring out loudly when someone "new" to the forum tells us "it happens everywhere". Very very HCR. :sneaky:
Old Feb 25th 2008, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Yes ......... indeed he did

Those alarm bells ring out loudly when someone "new" to the forum tells us "it happens everywhere". Very very HCR.
Well Tegwyn is quite right. Nevertheless, not everyone who trots it out is one of HCR's lackeys. Still, what matters is that the argument 'it happens everywhere' is a fatuous one.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

sky08 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, what are you talking about?.... I still think we can live a real life -even if it sounds to you like a fantasy !

Well, we have seen and experienced a lot in other countries (and to answer your question: our kids - and colour should be no criterium neither -could not ride the bike in our street before as there was to much deadly traffic).

I guess that living in different countries (and not only knowing facts through other people) changes your outlook on certain things in life and it seems I just have a more optimistic outlook on life. And I hope there are more expats here who feel the same...

If everybody here does pack up or is happy the kids are overseas like Campbell, that makes me really sad....
Luckily, somehow we managed to meet people here in Cape Town who are not so pessimistic. They work hard and try to help change some things. This will sound surely naiv to you, too.. Well, so be it!

There is a lot amiss here but you can choose if you can deal with it and put some positive input in or well, you can't. But I do not think it is right just to gun down everybody who just thinks and feels different. You do not have stats and just moan??? That's not my way!

By the way, an European driving licence counts nothing in Singapore, and even in the UK we as "Europeans" got told by the police that we have to resit the exam and get an English licence!
Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stanley10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Why? Because it's a particularly heavy handed ploy used by some of the ANC's supporters in order to excuse the disgraceful slaughter of innocents that is going on in South Africa. It is a shorthand for saying, 'why complain, when crime happens everywhere' - usually followed by pointing to a crime that has happened in some relatively peaceful country. It is a banal and deliberately dishonest sleight of hand.

Similarly, with the current power and infrastructure crisis, it is now being said by SA government ministers that power cuts happen everywhere, that it is a worldwide occurrence, etc, in order to mask and deflect from the government's own monumental incompetence and corruption.

It has long been a tactic in South Africa to over-report in the local press instances of rape, murder, etc in places such as the UK. The subtext is the same: 'See? It happens everywhere!'

HomecomingRevolution was particularly adept at this little trick, and for a while fools fell for it.
Not really, they just have a view that differs from yours, therefore they are ANC supporters etc.etc.etc. ... ho hum. How dare they challenge the Party line
Old Feb 25th 2008, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stanley10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Campbells is correct on this. Examples that come to mind that I have had my own attention drawn to recently. Australia: SA Engineering degrees awarded after a certain date are no longer merely accepted as equivalent. In the UK, SA medicine. Australia: SA driving licences now require an additional test (at least in WA, which is where a correspondent of mine wrote to me from).

Why is this happening? Because the standards of SA universities are being debauched in order to ensure that too many people who should not be at university in the first place are not failed.
Ah, so it's because you say so. If you are indeed correct then the issue of the brain drain has been solved.

Drivers licenses = education ? really. Actually in Aus if you come from anywhere outside Europe or the US you need to redo the test for your licence, and its not new, and not specifically aimed at South Africans.

You forgot to add "in your opinion".
Old Feb 26th 2008, 12:13 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Whilst many folk in South Africa will try to pretend that the dire situation is NOT happening there AND attempt to lure unsuspecting immigrants and tourist to a VERY unsafe country where the risks are very real and VERY dangerous.

It is not just the opinion of just a specific few members here on BE.

http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=gtGptN...eature=related

Watch the BBC documentary – titled No More Mandela’s

Watch all three parts

Watch the parts where the crew interview the thugs and leave as they realise the danger they are in as one thug mentions the valuable camera. Listen to how the use of guns for power is described and how freely this is discussed. Note that there was not masking of the faces, why? Because the police there will never consider to hunt these thugs and question them.

Listen to the discussion of killing and the disregard for life, it is all about guns are power and take what we want wit force, REGARDLESS

Listen to how easy it is to obtain a firearm in South Africa. This is a VERY real documentary.

This is just the crime topic.

Listen to the opinions of real South Africans living there and hear what they say about the failings of the ANC. HIV AIDS and o course the ESKOM disaster that is crippling the country.

Watch closely the interview with Jacob Zuma, the president of the ANC and probably the future president of the country.

South Africa is a sinking ship, which is the reality regardless of personal opinions, it is a fact.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Stanley10
Not really, they just have a view that differs from yours, therefore they are ANC supporters etc.etc.etc. ... ho hum. How dare they challenge the Party line
I remember how Idi Amin, when he was at the height of his notoreity, once put on a parade in Uganda where he was carried shoulder-high in a litter by a band of white men. These men spent their time trying to tell the world how wonderful Amin was, while Amin got on with his murder and cannibalism.

That is what you remind me of, Stanley, except these men chose to remain in Uganda, whereas you, for all your slavish support for African despotism, have chosen to emigrate to Australia.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 9:15 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=Pablo;5984276]I remember how Idi Amin, when he was at the height of his notoreity, once put on a parade in Uganda where he was carried shoulder-high in a litter by a band of white men. These men spent their time trying to tell the world how wonderful Amin was, while Amin got on with his murder and cannibalism.

That is what you remind me of, Stanley, except these men chose to remain in Uganda, whereas you, for all your slavish support for African despotism, have chosen to emigrate to Australia.[/QUOTE]

Hey, didn't know Stan was in Oz

What a joke
Old Feb 26th 2008, 11:57 am
Member Delux

Juggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant future

Much has been said about that BBC interview and it really surprises me . This BBC journo took a few guys maybe a camara man and a sound guy (looking at the footage) and some very expensive camera epuipement into what looked to me like the cape flats .What was he thinking !
1) These guys were clearly drugged out of their minds .
2) They have and were still drinking as the interview progressed.
3)they were clearly quite eager to impress with each one trying to outdo the next in how mean he is .Like kids on a playground.

When travelling locals in major cities always tell you theres some areas you stay away from .Youll only find the lowest of the low there .I'm not gonna pull the ' ...it could have happened anywhere" but he has been in and out of SA since post the 94 elections .So he knew exactly where he was going and was after a certain reaction.

I put it to you that those drunk ,drugged up thugs are not your average SA citizen so calling SA a sinking ship based on that is not fair at all .
Old Feb 26th 2008, 12:02 pm
Member Delux

Juggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant future

Zuma have never impressed me and I fail to see him as a capable statesmen. In the Polokwane interview his answers made it clear that he will be relying on all the influences around him to make pertinent decisions .

So as a president he is not as much of a concern to me as is the dubious cronies he has surround himself with. It is early days yet though ,with the corruption charges hanging over his head anything can still happen .

Having said that, even if he does become our next president. He have made a point of mentioning at every opportunity that he does not intend making any radical economic or political changes .Its easy to predict doom and gloom but lets see what transpires next year.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Juggernaut
Much has been said about that BBC interview and it really surprises me . This BBC journo took a few guys maybe a camara man and a sound guy (looking at the footage) and some very expensive camera epuipement into what looked to me like the cape flats .What was he thinking !
3)they were clearly quite eager to impress with each one trying to outdo the next in how mean he is .Like kids on a playground.

When travelling locals in major cities always tell you theres some areas you stay away from .Youll only find the lowest of the low there .I'm not gonna pull the ' ...it could have happened anywhere" but he has been in and out of SA since post the 94 elections .So he knew exactly where he was going and was after a certain reaction.

I put it to you that those drunk ,drugged up thugs are not your average SA citizen so calling SA a sinking ship based on that is not fair at all .
Fergal Keen set out to interview the kind of people who are hijacking and murdering and raping. He never tried to pass off these thugs as average South Africans.

Furthermore, anyone who knows Fegal Keen will know that he is one of the last people who would want to score cheap jouralistic tricks at SA's expense.

It is almost Zuma-esque to suggest that anyone who criticises SA has some dark, sinister, and - yawn - racist motive for doing so.

I note you have failed to comment on other parts of his report, for example the breathtaking stupidity and complacency of those tasked with tackling the Aids holocaust.

If SA is a sinking ship, it is because of policies that have denuded the country of skills, coupled with rapant crime and a consistent refusal to take responsibility for the mess on the part of the government - which prefers the usual riff of blaming racists and others for their own failings.

Last edited by Pablo; Feb 26th 2008 at 12:21 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Juggernaut
...Its easy to predict doom and gloom but lets see what transpires next year.
I fear that people are growing tired of the 'let's wait and see' approach.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 6:32 pm
Banned

[QUOTE=Juggernaut;5984975]Much has been said about that BBC interview and it really surprises me . This BBC journo took a few guys maybe a camara man and a sound guy (looking at the footage) and some very expensive camera epuipement into what looked to me like the cape flats .What was he thinking !

I put it to you that those drunk ,drugged up thugs are not your average SA citizen so calling SA a sinking ship based on that is not fair at all .[/QUOTE]

Yes, you are right, it is not fair, but tell me what is fair in SA ?

Such thugs on the loose ?

Mate, these type aere the ones that are the the gun-ho thugs that are rampant there,

You forget I lived there & saw it with me own eyes

That's whay I left, never mind all the other rot, just the CRIME and we are not talking stealing mate. Killing is what I am talking about People getting murdered for a mobile phone & the likes

As to catching thugs stoned & drunk, well the SA thugs are drunk & stoned all the time, so go figure

You will carry on trying to defend and argue everything I or anyone says as to the reallity of SA.

Are you like Stanley & live in Oz too ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.