Moving to Cape Town

Old Dec 24th 2007, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Heartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really nice
Default Re: Moving to Cape Town

Originally Posted by SeaninOzalready
Good luck.

Sorry can't help with anything else have not been back in 4 years and have no desire to ever set foot back in SA.
That desire's coming don't worry.... you'll want go visit again i guarantee you....
Old Dec 26th 2007, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

SeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really nice

Originally Posted by Heartfm
That desire's coming don't worry.... you'll want go visit again i guarantee you....
I doubt it mate! Mates who have gone back after there stints in London etc all comment that you can't buy freedom. For me Sydney is far more beautiful than CT or any big city in SA.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the place and still have family and many friends there. They just can't get over the fact that since living in Oz, I have not only lost heaps of weight, but become so much more in touch with the country I live in. i really feel welcome here in a way I never did in SA. Strange I know to be sitting here cheering the Ozzie cricket team on...

Still with no worries about walking around or running without looking over your shoulder, clean air to breathe (not the smog of Joburg), great economy and a job with prospects where I don't get judged on colour of skin plus never having burgler proofing on the house and I am laughing really.

Enjoy SA- it is great for some, but even though it was strange moving through so many countries, I know I have done the right thing. Afterall don't want to be trapped when Zuma becomes president and the real banana republic kicks in.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 9:10 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

not been back in 4 years and have no desire to ever set foot back in SA.
Ditto ( except 3 years for us)

SA has lots of style but zero soul

Merry Christmas everybody
Old Dec 26th 2007, 9:26 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Heartfm
I confess, I did get it but VERY QUICKLY changed by even the thought of landing at OR Tambo airport and either getting my luggage stolen, or being followed due to tip-offs by airport staff so they can rob, rape or kill you.

We have discussed this as a family and we just know we have relaxed so much being away from that nightmare tension in Jo'burg. Constantly doing the 360 to see if somebody is sneaking up to attack you.

Besides the other locations on offer for the same ( or less) are way more attractive as a holiday. Sure we would love to see the family & friends in SA but the stress of even a holiday there with the security issues is just not for us.

I guess we have also relaxed in terms of being away from that madness and constant alert mode we lived in and would probably stick out like sore thumbs and tourist targets.

Our wee boy has a full on Kiwi accent.

Besides, what do we tell him when he wants to open a car window ?

Or, daddy what are these bars on the windows and doors ?

THat we must lock ourselves away from bad people that want to come and kill us ? Nah, mate the urge is short lived !

Sadly enough we both still love SA but it has just become a place that we will not go to as the risks are way too high and looking at any news on SA tell us that the same risks are still there and have gotten worse.

All that style and zero soul
Old Dec 26th 2007, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Amazing, a friend emailed us today to say how much they were enjoying being in CTgoing for a picnic on the beach tomorrow etc.
Enjoy it.
The last time I was back I spent all my time doing the swivel. sister in law's neighbour got taken in a secure boomed area,70 something and tied up all night,
No Way!!!
It's done.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

SeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really nice

Originally Posted by Daxk
Amazing, a friend emailed us today to say how much they were enjoying being in CTgoing for a picnic on the beach tomorrow etc.
Enjoy it.
The last time I was back I spent all my time doing the swivel. sister in law's neighbour got taken in a secure boomed area,70 something and tied up all night,
No Way!!!
It's done.
Could not agree more mate! I have so many mates who left in the 90's only to return on the back of the promises made by the govt. These same people are now trying their level best to get back out. Thing is though once you are dealing with mickey mouse currency (ie. the Rand) then you have no hope of moving back and forth.

family mates who moved over from England to SA 30 years ago would love to go back. They still have the passports and so that is not the problem, but the starting again and not being able to take your money out would kill them.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 1:21 pm
Banned

guest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really nice

Could not agree more mate! I have so many mates who left in the 90's only to return on the back of the promises made by the govt. These same people are now trying their level best to get back out. Thing is though once you are dealing with mickey mouse currency (ie. the Rand) then you have no hope of moving back and forth.

family mates who moved over from England to SA 30 years ago would love to go back. They still have the passports and so that is not the problem, but the starting again and not being able to take your money out would kill them.
I have a good friend who has built up a large buisness in CT, he wants to come back to the UK but is worried about the failing rand and what he will be able to retire on back in the UK....It is a "catch 22" situation.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Teremok is just really niceTeremok is just really niceTeremok is just really niceTeremok is just really niceTeremok is just really niceTeremok is just really niceTeremok is just really niceTeremok is just really nice

I have a large business in Century City, works well, good people, good return, operating for 5+ years. I have not been to SA since I was nearly murdered and robbed in a 5 star (high security) CBD Hotel in full view of the head of hotel security!. The police didn't open a crime report, "after all I was still alive" and there had already been one murder and four attempts in the same hotel that month.

Forget SA, with Zuma as the next leader, any idiot can see where he will be leading the country to, I am closing my office in SA in 08
Old Dec 27th 2007, 5:57 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Teremok
I have a large business in Century City, works well, good people, good return, operating for 5+ years. I have not been to SA since I was nearly murdered and robbed in a 5 star (high security) CBD Hotel in full view of the head of hotel security!. The police didn't open a crime report, "after all I was still alive" and there had already been one murder and four attempts in the same hotel that month.

Forget SA, with Zuma as the next leader, any idiot can see where he will be leading the country to, I am closing my office in SA in 08
Welcome to BE.

Sadly, your story is pasted across the S.A. papers every so often.

Teremok, maybe you'd like to post in the pinned Introduction thread up top so we learn a bit about you?

Not for the faint-hearted.

Last edited by Redlippie; Dec 27th 2007 at 6:00 pm.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 7:10 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Teremok

Welcome to BE mate.

Would love to read your background ( as RL suggested).

May I ask what hotel the incident happened ?

Happy New Year to you & yours
Old Jan 4th 2008, 8:30 am
Just Joined

GavinL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by deewilluk
Hi all,

My family has been offered a move to Cape Town in June 2008 and I'm looking for a bit of help here.

We have 2 boys of 7 and 5 and have looked at the following schools.

International School of Cape Town
Parkland College & Christopher Wren Prep School
Elkanah House

My OH will be working at Century City and I think that Parklands and Elkanah are closer, but I am thinking more about ISCT as if we have to move on with OH's work, the kids will carry on with the UK curriculum. Any recommendations please?

Also, housing help needed. If we go with ISCT option, we have looked at Wynberg, Claremont, Kenilworth, Newlands, and Pinelands. Can anyone recommend which areas will be good for a family and how long the drive to Century City is please? (We have also looked at the Milnerton area but we are not sure if it is too long a drive to ISCT).

One last question. My OH will have to do a fair bit of travelling around Africa with his work and I wondered if there are any gated communities in these areas mentioned above. After reading a lot of threads, personal safety is very important to me.

Very much looking for all advise and a move to hopefully a v ery fullfilling new life for our family!

Thanks
Good morning, As usual these threads start off well, only to head off in all directions.

A bit late I know, but better late then never if your move is still on.
My wife and I have just been relocated to Cape Town from the UK for 3-5yrs. We have 3 kids, 9mths, 9 & 13yrs. The kids attend an international school and have adapted very well.
It seems that every weekend in South Africa, something is planned, from forest walks, beach days, weekends away, "braai's". South African's certainly know how to enjoy time after work.
With reference security, be aware of your surroundings at all times, and never drop your guard. We have been here for 3months and have (touch wood) never felt threatened in any way.
We take the advice of local South African's "still" living in the area and have already started to make a network of friends which does help the settling in process.

Please feel free to contact me at any time if you want to hear about our experiences in relocating.
Cheers
Gavin
Old Jan 4th 2008, 9:37 am
Just Joined

Sleepwalker is just really niceSleepwalker is just really niceSleepwalker is just really niceSleepwalker is just really niceSleepwalker is just really niceSleepwalker is just really niceSleepwalker is just really niceSleepwalker is just really niceSleepwalker is just really niceSleepwalker is just really nice

....... They still have the passports and so that is not the problem, but the starting again and not being able to take your money out would kill them.
Hi All,

There has been a small change in the exchange laws in SA...

About four years ago they introduced a Foreign Investment allowance..
This allows each individual Tax Payer to invest up to R2million in another country..

Which means that a couple would be able to 'invest' up to R4million outside of the RSA.

The strange quirk in this law is that If you apply for an immigration allowance, you're only allowed to send out R1million.. Go figure?

So the trick is not to tell them that you intend immigrating.. Just get up and go!!! .. obviously once you've got the correct documents in place and you can follow your money!!

For most people 4mill is more than enough.. but if there is any money left over... stick in in your credit cards and spend that money in your new home...

Failing which you'll need to use a money laundering scheme of sorts... (maybe with a huge bin!)

The form that needs to be filled out is the FIA001 which can be downloaded off the www.sars.gov.za website.

Finally, I have made a positive statement about the SA government... now that'sa first!!

Cheers everyone... have a great year in 2008...

Michael
Old Jan 7th 2008, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

ChristineH is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We moved from Melkbosstrand (which is 15km up the coast from Table View) two years ago. As far as schools go, all the schools you have mentioned are very good but very different. Elkanah has a more creative orientation to education. Parklands College has a more 'elitist' reputation. And Blouberg International is a very small (more homely?) school. As far as I know Blouberg is the only school in the area that allows children to attend the grade/year level equivalent to British schools. South African children only go to Year 1 in the year they turn 7. Blouberg Int also offer the British Curriculum whereas the other schools offer the South African curriculum. Blouberg Int currently only offers Pre-reception to Year 5/6 (not sure).

Melkbosstrand was a wonderful place to live and much safer than Table View etc. But you still cannot have your children running around outside your property without your presence. As an ex-South African I have realised that what comes naturally for a South African parent is not necessarily the case for other parents.....

Children have been robbed at knife point on their way to school at all the schools in this area (they steal anything from mobile phones to pocket money). Most South African children have mobile/cellphones from a very young age as a measure of security. They can phone you whenever they feel unsafe and the phones have tracking facilities. So you can find out exactly where your child is at all times (if you want to).

It will be an adjustment but you can have a really nice experience if you are prepared to live with the security hassles. There are quite a few security estates in the area. The Atlantic Beach Golf Estate is totally surrounded with electric fence and here I have seen some children playing in the streets. (Although I have heard that the club house had an armed robbery late one Sunday night. They just held a gun to the security guards at the gate to get in)!

There is a lot of expats in the area as Koeberg Power Station brings a lot of people from overseas. I have lots of friends who still live in the area and they love it. The properties are generally much bigger than in Britain so you normally have enough space for the children on your block. We had 3 dogs, 1 cat, 4 ducks, a fish pond, swimming pool and enough space for the kids to play rugby and cricket in the garden.

Hope this helps!
Old Jan 8th 2008, 8:28 am
Banned

guest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really nice

Originally Posted by ChristineH
Hi

It will be an adjustment but you can have a really nice experience if you are prepared to live with the security hassles. There are quite a few security estates in the area. The Atlantic Beach Golf Estate is totally surrounded with electric fence and here I have seen some children playing in the streets. (Although I have heard that the club house had an armed robbery late one Sunday night. They just held a gun to the security guards at the gate to get in)!

Hope this helps!

That is like something out of a futuristic si-fi film, a whole town with an electric fence around it
Old Jan 8th 2008, 12:45 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChristineH
Hi

We moved from Melkbosstrand (which is 15km up the coast from Table View) two years ago. As far as schools go, all the schools you have mentioned are very good but very different. Elkanah has a more creative orientation to education. Parklands College has a more 'elitist' reputation. And Blouberg International is a very small (more homely?) school. As far as I know Blouberg is the only school in the area that allows children to attend the grade/year level equivalent to British schools. South African children only go to Year 1 in the year they turn 7. Blouberg Int also offer the British Curriculum whereas the other schools offer the South African curriculum. Blouberg Int currently only offers Pre-reception to Year 5/6 (not sure).

Melkbosstrand was a wonderful place to live and much safer than Table View etc. But you still cannot have your children running around outside your property without your presence. As an ex-South African I have realised that what comes naturally for a South African parent is not necessarily the case for other parents.....

Children have been robbed at knife point on their way to school at all the schools in this area (they steal anything from mobile phones to pocket money). Most South African children have mobile/cellphones from a very young age as a measure of security. They can phone you whenever they feel unsafe and the phones have tracking facilities. So you can find out exactly where your child is at all times (if you want to).

There is a lot of expats in the area as Koeberg Power Station brings a lot of people from overseas. I have lots of friends who still live in the area and they love it. The properties are generally much bigger than in Britain so you normally have enough space for the children on your block. We had 3 dogs, 1 cat, 4 ducks, a fish pond, swimming pool and enough space for the kids to play rugby and cricket in the garden.

Hope this helps!
That is what I recall during my youth in Zambia & Kenya. Kept indoors behind high walls, locked doors and coiled fences with the token vicious dog to keep crime away from the door. It is an abnormal way of life.
As someone with close connections to armed response/security in SA, I assure you that your security is as strong as the weakest link.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.