Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

A move to Lagos with a young child- a stupid idea?

A move to Lagos with a young child- a stupid idea?

Old Feb 23rd 2010, 12:20 pm
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A move to Lagos with a young child- a stupid idea?

Bonny boy is right but not everyone has those facilities. I once booked on Contractors from Lagos to PH but there was a fault on the plane which necessitated an overnight drive to PH via Warre which is not to be recommended. Also not all companies have compounds which means a stay in one of the hotels.

I survived both but won't do either again - particularly the drive.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 10:10 am
Just Joined

salsa67 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that depends on what company your husband will be working for and where you will be staying while in lagos. I have just moved here nearly 4 wks ago with my 14yr old and 11yr old. Dont get me wrong it is a huge culture shock but like anywhere in the world it's what you make it...If you want to. My kids are both in international schools which are fab. Do I reget coming to Lagos? No because I believe families should be together. I hope that helps you.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

9jajet is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: A move to Lagos with a young child- a stupid idea?

Hi Krissu,

if your husband is on a full expat married status package that includes all expenses, then go to Lagos and keep your family intact. I lived and worked in Lagos with my family for 3 years, the company took care of everything for us. The city is ALIVE, full of hussle and bustle. There is long waiting lists for the best schools, so best you enquire. Lagos is to Nigeria what New York is to USA, its all happening in that place. Abuja is like Washington DC, full of civil servants.

In Lagos you will never ever be bored. We were turning down invites galore to expat social nights. Once you get accustomed to the traffic peak times it will be better. Nigerians are one of the friendliest happiest people on the planet, they are very poor or very rich, and if you really take of your staff they will look after you. Of course there is crime like any large City and you take normal precautions. However do not compare it to South Africas Crime rate which is vey violent and more out of control. We made Lagos fun, and we made many life long friends. Lagos is a hidden jewel in West Africa.

Go with an open mind to Africa... Embrace the culture and you will be fine.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

sholeee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by krissu
Hi All,
Thanks for opening the thread! As you can see, our family has an option to move to Lagos (having done a bit of homework by now - probably going to be located in VI or Ikoyi Island). We can either choose: A) we go; B) my husband goes unaccompanied C)We decline. As the assignment can last for a couple of years, I consider it to be a bit of a pain to stay behind in UK. My obvious concern is my 8yr old son. How safe is it for children? What are the good schools like and does anyone have any good words to say about either about the british international or american international schools there? Would you recommend boarding (although I think it might be a bit too big of a change for him) so I'd rather keep him at home during the week. Is the drive to school safe? Is there enough extra-curriculars? What are the medical services like? Are people friendly to kids? Could there be issues with racism against europeans in VI or Ikoyi? Any help with any of these questions or indeed with any other points that seem important is highly appreciated.
PS! Also if anyone could give me an idea of how much rent would one expect to pay for a respectable family house.
Thank you for all of your help!
Hi krissu,there is absolutely nothing wrong in Lagos.Ikoyi is more homely and less noisy than VI,where there is serious vehicular movement because of the hustle and bustle of lagosians going about their daily work .Night time in VI is wonderful,serene and peaceful.Having been a teacher myself,there are a couple of british curriculum-teaching schools on the island(talking about VI),VERY GOOD SCHOOLS.Parents of many nationalities have their children in these schools.Lagos is a good place to be,I can bet on that.There is no such thing as racism or discrimination in Nigeria in general and Lagos in particular.
Parkview estate is a nice place,though rent there is a little on the high side,talking about 800,000 naira for a duplex/year.
BIS and AIS are two great schools (British international school) and (American international School),also we have green springs,atlantic hall,Caleb so many good schools with very good teachers .Is your child going to be in Pry 5, pry 6 or JSS 1 because thats the class for his age range
Old Jun 15th 2010, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Checkmate is an unknown quantity at this point

Having worked, visited and lived in several parts of Africa, here are my hopefully balanced, rational observations;

- racism towards westerners / whites in Lagos is almost non-existant
- re; kidknappings. They are EXTREMELY rare. They tend to happen more in the south (niger delta) where you have big oil
- there IS a large, thriving european ex pat community in Lagos, mainly centred around Victoria Island and Ikoyi 9also there is a large Lebanese community in these parts). The notion that your life will consist of living under shelter at home is a nonsense. Generally, as another posted said, if you take care of your house help, they will always take care of you.
- Schools are great, as many have pointed out the standout ones are BIS and AIS; both of which follow the american or UK curriculum.

- It IS rowdy. Most of your life will consist of being in Ikoyi (which is calm by African standards), Victoria Island or Lagos Island. I wouldn't recommend venturing into mainland Lagos unless absolutely necessary (e.g. - the route to the airport)
- You will generally need to have your wits about you
- It can be a VERY expensive place. This has changed in the last few years as there has now been a general increasse in competiton (i.e. - several new electronic retailers, high class restaurants, etc), but prices would still raise a few eyebrows.

All in all, I would recommend at least being open to it. When I was there I worked with several men whose wives and kids were also in the country with them (mainly French and US expats) so you would be far from being in isolation. Remember also that Nigerians in general, have respect for westerners and Europeans "in general". That doesn't mean that they wouldn't try to extort money out of you given half a chance. But the point I am making is that this is a stark contrast to a place such as South Africa - where one could say that the white man is seen as the enemy by large quarters of the populastion and there remains a resentment (sweeping statement perhaps - but just going by my experiences). Nigerians have far less colonial baggage.

Finally, visit skyscrapercity.com - a great site to see visuals of many cities, just to get a general feel.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

Femiluv is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd say your husband's pay will determine if living in Lagos is worth it or not.

I have visited Lagos a couple of times with my numerous Nigerian friends.

Tons of traffic in Lagos. You will need a driver (to avoid going crazy). You probably or definitely could drive there, but getting a driver makes it less stressful.

So many people. Selling stuff on the streets (which is very shocking), but you'll get used to it.

You will need security for your house. I agree with someone who said that kidnappings are quite rare. They usually happen in the Niger-Delta area. I know there are very good schools there. There is a huge expatriate community there, and you won't feel alone.

Get a maid or something like that. If you have to go to the market, let her accompany you. Shopping in a market in Nigeria is very different. Let's just say there's no fixed price, you have to "bargain" (that's what Nigerian's call it).

It is a very expensive city, you need a reasonable amount of money to live comfortably. Nigerians are one of the most friendly people on earth. Go with an open mind, it'll take you a while to get used to - but you will have fun.

Nairaland.com is a popular Nigerian website, you could get more info there.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

helloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant future

It depends whats your life style. I have been in Lagos, Kano, Abuja, Port Harcourt in Nigeria and Zambia, DR Congo and Ghana

Lagos is not everybody's life as an Expat you will have everything so it wont be a difficult task to lead the life

You have to create network to enjoy otherwise your life will be in inside the 4 walls. Lagos International school is pretty good . A decent accommodation in Ikoye or VI will cost you not less than 1000-1200. and choose always studios or apartments than Individual house more secure

Last edited by helloshivahere; Jul 26th 2010 at 2:17 pm.