Hello

Old Dec 28th 2008, 10:24 am
Just Joined

SuzanneCapeTown is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello

Hello there,

I'm a UK ex-pat in Cape Town, South Africa, on a 3 year spousal and business visa. I am looking to chat with others from the UK and ease into Cape Town society a bit more gently.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 5:09 am
Just Joined

homesickchick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hello

Hi Suzanne - me also!
I've been in SA for 2 yrs & 3 mnths already. Need to renew spousal visa (hubby is SA) in Feb for another 2 yrs. Moved to CT in July this year 8 months pregnant from Joburg. Am new mum - all hubby's family are here or in Garden Route. I must admit settled into Joburg far easier than here but that's probably because I'm pretty much holed up with baby at the mo. Would love to talk to a fellow Brit & maybe I can help a bit about SA, still learning & still deciding about CT. I'm getting quite desparate to go home as homing beacon has gone off since I've had the baby but hubby hates the weather in England and is now looking at Brisbane in Oz as an opportunity. Where are you in CT? Are you in town? I'm in Claremont & where are you from in England?
Maria
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

janinekidd is just really nicejaninekidd is just really nicejaninekidd is just really nicejaninekidd is just really nicejaninekidd is just really nicejaninekidd is just really nicejaninekidd is just really nicejaninekidd is just really nice

Hi both Suzannes iv sent you both a pm. Im from North East UK and hoping to emmigrate to Cape town and would appreciate some help
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:54 am
Just Joined

Hi - i've sent you an email but I seemed to think you were called Kerry - sorry!.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

janinekidd is just really nicejaninekidd is just really nicejaninekidd is just really nicejaninekidd is just really nicejaninekidd is just really nicejaninekidd is just really nicejaninekidd is just really nicejaninekidd is just really nice

ok ill check my emails thanks, can anybody else give me any information with relation to finding employment
Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

Hi thanks for your advice. I watched the programme and I was very shocked as what goes on out there and very surprised when Iv spoke to friends who are still very happy out there, and have no intention of moving. Im on the understanding that the trouble is mostly in the townships but does spread to Cape Town etc. Can anybody tell me how far the Cape Flats are from Cape Town as this seems to be the worst area. Also surely not all of South Africa has high crime rates. I live in England and would not walk around areas close to me alone.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janinekidd
can anybody else give me any information with relation to finding employment
As in the UK, finding employment is related to skill, qualification, and ability, coupled with the needs of the local market. This has been covered extensively in previous posts here.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 3:11 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janinekidd
Hi thanks for your advice. I watched the programme and I was very shocked as what goes on out there and very surprised when Iv spoke to friends who are still very happy out there, and have no intention of moving. Im on the understanding that the trouble is mostly in the townships but does spread to Cape Town etc. Can anybody tell me how far the Cape Flats are from Cape Town as this seems to be the worst area. Also surely not all of South Africa has high crime rates. I live in England and would not walk around areas close to me alone.
Crime has long left the townships and well dispersed around the country. Your friends are not giving you the full picture. Check media sources in SA. Mail & Guardian, IOL, The Times. etc. That is only a smidge of the coverage of what is really going on in SA. Please do what Pablo suggests. This has been covered in depth on this site.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

Spizz is just really niceSpizz is just really niceSpizz is just really niceSpizz is just really niceSpizz is just really niceSpizz is just really niceSpizz is just really niceSpizz is just really nice

Hi there

I am so sorry that you're having difficulty settling into CPT. I can relate to your situation - I am SA married to Scotsman. Lived in UK for 16 years and then hubby decided that he wanted to live in SA. Shock- Horror .... I wanted to die at the thought of coming back to country that I was happy to live away from.

Cut a long story short - been here now for nearly 5 years. Two of our kids were born in UK and then we had a little baby here in CPT.

I'm also in Claremont and I have a baby shop in Kenilworth Main Road which you may have visited (Bumps & Daisies). I have brilliant contacts for you if you want to get stuck in and make some likeminded friends. I can even point you in the direction of a fab british supermarket tucked away in Montegue Gardens. (Anything you miss from home can be found there - even baby food! )

I have also just returned from London following the Baby Show at Earls Court. OMG was I glad to be back in SA after my 2 week trip. OK, I would have loved to load my suitcase with Tesco Specials and IKEA tat,but other than that - I realised that I could never ever live there again. Of course we will always have the option to go back there, but that's for another time.
At the moment, we love CPT! Even the kids are loving it here.

If any of you fancy meeting up for a coffee at Cavendish, give me a shout. Would love to share some helpful tips and hints, especially if you're a mum with babies and older children.

Hope to hear from you soon!
Emilia

Originally Posted by homesickchick
Hi Suzanne - me also!
I've been in SA for 2 yrs & 3 mnths already. Need to renew spousal visa (hubby is SA) in Feb for another 2 yrs. Moved to CT in July this year 8 months pregnant from Joburg. Am new mum - all hubby's family are here or in Garden Route. I must admit settled into Joburg far easier than here but that's probably because I'm pretty much holed up with baby at the mo. Would love to talk to a fellow Brit & maybe I can help a bit about SA, still learning & still deciding about CT. I'm getting quite desparate to go home as homing beacon has gone off since I've had the baby but hubby hates the weather in England and is now looking at Brisbane in Oz as an opportunity. Where are you in CT? Are you in town? I'm in Claremont & where are you from in England?
Maria
Old Jan 16th 2009, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

Emilia,
Oh my - how weird - I was looking up your shop details today on the internet and was thinking where the heck is that as I'm desparately trying to get hold of a baby sling from Rhubarb - I saw it advertised and need it for a trip home. I'm so nuts about going home at the mo - hubby is sending me packing for 2 months in 2 weeks time. My baby is 5 mnths old so I'm pooping myself about travelling alone but serves me right really!. I would LOVE to meet for a coffee and talk baby stuff & please give me some details as I'm struggling so much here right now. Maybe I can call into the shop - where is it exactly? I know KC obviously & I've kind of found my way around to the garden centre & back of Pick N Pay - I live in Lynfrae - do you know where that is?
Let me know - I'm flying out on 26/27 Jan & back first week of April (well that's what my hubby thinks!! - only kidding)
Maria.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

Spizz is just really niceSpizz is just really niceSpizz is just really niceSpizz is just really niceSpizz is just really niceSpizz is just really niceSpizz is just really niceSpizz is just really nice

Originally Posted by homesickchick
Emilia,
Oh my - how weird - I was looking up your shop details today on the internet and was thinking where the heck is that as I'm desparately trying to get hold of a baby sling from Rhubarb - I saw it advertised and need it for a trip home. I'm so nuts about going home at the mo - hubby is sending me packing for 2 months in 2 weeks time. My baby is 5 mnths old so I'm pooping myself about travelling alone but serves me right really!. I would LOVE to meet for a coffee and talk baby stuff & please give me some details as I'm struggling so much here right now. Maybe I can call into the shop - where is it exactly? I know KC obviously & I've kind of found my way around to the garden centre & back of Pick N Pay - I live in Lynfrae - do you know where that is?
Let me know - I'm flying out on 26/27 Jan & back first week of April (well that's what my hubby thinks!! - only kidding)
Maria.
Maria, this is MENTAL. RHUBARB & CUSTARD pouch sling is my company!
Would love to help you with it.

Our little boy turned 3 a couple of weeks ago and we're having a very small party (wouldn't even call it that) at Kirstenbosch. Why don't you join us. Weird invite - I know, but you are most welcome.
Only 4 mums incl me, our kids and my hubby might come too.
3 of us live in Lynfrae area too and the other mum has just returned from UK after hating it. Ironic!
You'll like them all - all open minded humans, very friendly and all contact with UK. Call me in the morning or sms me on 082 551 2948 (rhubarb number) if you fancy it! Will bring a sling with me .... sales woman in me!

Hope to chat soon!

Emilia x
Old Jan 16th 2009, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

strange beyond belief - what a crazy world!. I definately want to see the sling please so that I can check out whether bubs is comfortable. Don't worry about the sales pitch - i was a retail buyer until recently working for WHSmiths, Somerfield & then CNA over here so its also my game pre baby. I can't believe that you also live in Lynfrae and you know and get us Brits - we are a difficult bunch to understand sometimes - how the heck do you get rid of the cockroaches by the way?? are they all over Lynfrae or just my house!..

I'm very keen to catch up and will give you a shout in the morning - off to the bank first thing to get a cheque for my baby's passport which may prove challenging on a Saturday morning! Good to meet you and thank you for the invite - will chat in the morning.
Maria.x
Old Jan 18th 2009, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

Hi Maria

I will pm you now. Found you a playgroup run by a lady just returned from UK. Also in Lynfrae area. Playgroup is based on british system.

Anyway - some other options in pm.

Hope to chat soon
Emilia