Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Happy Birthday Mandela!

Happy Birthday Mandela!

Old Jul 19th 2007, 6:57 pm
Member Delux

Juggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant future
Default Re: Happy Birthday Mandela!

Mingus...You funny guy!!

But on a serious note thats not my saint list its a Global initiative that was launcehed in SA this week .Thought up by Richard Branson and Peter Gabriel.
Check out the link.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0719/p07s02-woaf.html

Bush...I see him and think Homer Simpson. but hey ,thats just me.

Later
Old Jul 19th 2007, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stanley10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Juggernaut
Bush...I see him and think Homer Simpson. but hey ,thats just me.

Later
Does that mean George W = Bart. You've just spoilt the Simpsons for me
Old Jul 19th 2007, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mingusdynasty
No I haven't. Why don't you tell me - saves me having to look it up. ..
That was exactly my point, No research.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 10:10 pm
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Daxk
That was exactly my point, No research.
daxk..tricky little name you got there my friend. Well, I can't be an expert in everything can I?
Old Jul 19th 2007, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

daxk..tricky little name you got there my friend. Well, I can't be an expert in everything can I?
why not my patriot friend, with google everyone's an expert.
just try Gandhi, indian Opinion racism
Old Jul 19th 2007, 10:32 pm
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Daxk
why not my patriot friend, with google everyone's an expert.
just try Gandhi, indian Opinion racism
Of course. But true understanding is not found on the net is it? It's not a bad starting point, however. I use wiki quite a bit.

I was wondering about my history today. There do seem to be some clever bastids on the South Africa section (Pablo aint on of them ) Just kidding pablo. I kid because I care...

Compare the Sans to the other boards. They are definetly more politicised and seem to have a greater historical understanding and care - not just : "Hey, i wanna build a swimming pool and my life's complete".

But whale watcher got me thinking about Churchill. As a Brit I have had this drummed into me all my life : Churchill was a great man. I have his Biography sitting on my book shelf - unread for the most part.

Was he great? Is any man truly 'great'. Maybe only Christ/Budha/Allah was great...but I'm not religious, so i'll leave that to the net experts..

The flesh is weak but the spirit is strong?

Last edited by mingusdynasty; Jul 19th 2007 at 10:35 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:14 pm
Account Closed

whalewatcher is an unknown quantity at this point

As a Brit I have had this drummed into me all my life : Churchill was a great man.
Well, he was, but only from about 1937 onwards...but to the winner the spoils. Hitler was a great man in Europe until about 1937, and continued to be so in Germany until 1945.

I see you're thinking of moving to Cuba now. In post-apartheid SA there's quite a warm approval of Castro, I've met a number of bourgeois leftists who would regard him as a great man. Supported the struggle, don't you know, must be on the level. Surprised they are to learn that in the 1950's Havana was the most prosperous city in the North Americas, that the evil General Batista had been busy opening schools and challenging the landed gentry to open up land ownership, that Che machine-gunned hundreds of counter-revolutionaries, and that gay people have frequently been rounded up and imprisoned there. All these Cuban doctors in SA have their wages sent back to Havana, not put into their own hands, like feudal serfs out on loan.

Sorry what was my point...um...well I don't hero worship Mandela, but compared to the bloody-handed Castro, Churchill, and yes, Clinton & Carter, and to the flaky Gandhi, he's a pretty good guy.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:41 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by whalewatcher
Well, he was, but only from about 1937 onwards...but to the winner the spoils. Hitler was a great man in Europe until about 1937, and continued to be so in Germany until 1945.

I see you're thinking of moving to Cuba now. In post-apartheid SA there's quite a warm approval of Castro, I've met a number of bourgeois leftists who would regard him as a great man. Supported the struggle, don't you know, must be on the level. Surprised they are to learn that in the 1950's Havana was the most prosperous city in the North Americas, that the evil General Batista had been busy opening schools and challenging the landed gentry to open up land ownership, that Che machine-gunned hundreds of counter-revolutionaries, and that gay people have frequently been rounded up and imprisoned there. All these Cuban doctors in SA have their wages sent back to Havana, not put into their own hands, like feudal serfs out on loan.

Sorry what was my point...um...well I don't hero worship Mandela, but compared to the bloody-handed Castro, Churchill, and yes, Clinton & Carter, and to the flaky Gandhi, he's a pretty good guy.
Was Castro that bad? You seem clued up on History. What do they teach you at school in South Africa? History?

I had to learn about Robin Hood, but that's another story!

ps - can recommend a good book : Cuba Confidential. Ann Bardach.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

6000 is an unknown quantity at this point

His football match was pretty cool too.
Awesome evening out.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:48 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by 6000
His football match was pretty cool too.
Awesome evening out.
Did he score?
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

6000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Did he score?
WTF?

No. He didn't.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:55 pm
Account Closed

Did he score?
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:59 pm
Account Closed

ps - can recommend a good book : Cuba Confidential. Ann Bardach.
Thanks, but I'm too old and tired to read books any more, I just watch TV. Is it being made into a tv movie?
Old Jul 20th 2007, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder why people get so upset with a post where I openly state what a great man Mandela is?
Because as usual you don't know what you're talking about. The whole intention of your thread was to cause trouble....

Draw your own conclusions.
See? The true subtext emerges.

Pablo
Old Jul 20th 2007, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Stanley10 is an unknown quantity at this point

But whale watcher got me thinking about Churchill. As a Brit I have had this drummed into me all my life : Churchill was a great man. I have his Biography sitting on my book shelf - unread for the most part.
I've just read a book about Churchill called "Blood Sweat and Arrogance and the Myths of Chuchills War" by Gordon Corrigan. His view is that most of the British stuff ups before and during the war can be blamed on Churchill eg cuts in defence spending, Norway, North Africa, Singapore etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.