Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Goin to South Africa, Cape Town for 2 months

Goin to South Africa, Cape Town for 2 months

Old Oct 25th 2012, 8:21 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goin to South Africa, Cape Town for 2 months

Originally Posted by MatthewCurrie93
Ive just heard alot of people saying its dangerous and I wont be able to go out of a nigh time? Or is this just my mum worrying
Originally Posted by uk_vette
Yep, dangerous at night, and at day.
Seriously, you should be taking extra vigilant precautions.

You see, it makes all them shiny skins, feel more important.
Ok, I'm not interested in opening a can of worms here, but I would question a couple of your comments.

He asked if it was safe to go out. Your comment that it is dangerous day and night and he should be taking extra vigilant precautions is frankly nonsense. You're saying we can't go out at all? I just came back from the shops - walked there - seem to have made it back alive. Seriously? To say all of South Africa is like a township with screaming murderers on every corner is - to coin a favourite SA phrase - kak.

"Shiny skins"" is a derogatory and racist term that I (and I am sure most people outside the EDL or AWB) find deeply offensive.

Originally Posted by pomE
I don't buy all this scare-mongering at all.

I managed to live in Cape Town for nearly three years without incident. I have family over there, and some UK ex'pat friends and none of them have had any serious trouble- certainly no more than one would experience here in the UK, or any other UK city for that matter.

If you think about it logically, the huge crime statistics are heavily skewed because the majority of the crime is committed in the townships where the majority of the black/ coloured population have to live. Thus you see terrifying percentages of murder, rape etc etc.

Pick the area you live carefully. Avoid the townships. Don't flaunt your gadgets/ wealth. Enjoy!

The bureaucratic nonsense and general attitude of public sector workers is far more terrifying than any crime statistic IMO......
That's pretty much my view too. Of course, those that have been exposed to crime will believe it happens everywhere. The rest of us enjoy the sunshine and are grateful for the space and fresh air and count our blessings to live in such a wonderful place.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

uk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud ofuk_vette has much to be proud of

I don't buy all this scare-mongering at all.

I managed to live in Cape Town for nearly three years without incident. I have family over there, and some UK ex'pat friends and none of them have had any serious trouble- certainly no more than one would experience here in the UK, or any other UK city for that matter.

If you think about it logically, the huge crime statistics are heavily skewed because the majority of the crime is committed in the townships where the majority of the black/ coloured population have to live. Thus you see terrifying percentages of murder, rape etc etc.

I'm not saying it's 100% safe- it isn't, but then where is these days??? I can honestly say I felt as safe, if not safer in Cape Town than I did in say....Manchester. The city centre can be a bit edgy after dark, but just make sure you don't walk about on your own and don't take short-cuts. The muggers do prey on backpackers/ tourists in the CBD who stray off the usual ant trails between the V&A Waterfront and the CBD. Oh, and Walking about on Table Mtn on your own isn't recommended neither. The bustling area at the cable stop is fine, but some of the back country walks can be a bit dodgey if you are alone.

Pick the area you live carefully. Avoid the townships. Don't flaunt your gadgets/ wealth. Enjoy!

The bureaucratic nonsense and general attitude of public sector workers is far more terrifying than any crime statistic IMO......
OK,
Well there would be a lot who would argue against what you have just posted, but any way.

vette
Old Oct 25th 2012, 8:34 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

OK,
Well there would be a lot who would argue against what you have just posted, but any way.

vette
Fair enough. Enjoy China. Say hi to the Dalai Lama if he's passing through.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

pomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nice

OK,

vette
Yes, of course but I feel it is only right that the OP makes the trip to make a judgement for himself.

We're even considering moving back to Cape Town. My wife is from Cape Town, and we have a three year old daughter who was born there (dual citizenship). Considering we've lived in Sydney and now UK, thats not a bad endorsement for Cape Town. My primary concern is schooling rather than personal safety of my family tbh....
Old Oct 25th 2012, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

MatthewCurrie93 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys thanks for all the replies and information your giving me!
Ill be located on cannon street, Cape Town in a company called top rope. If you search this in google you will find it on maps
What is this area like??
Thanks
Old Oct 25th 2012, 1:20 pm

Yes, of course but I feel it is only right that the OP makes the trip to make a judgement for himself.

We're even considering moving back to Cape Town. My wife is from Cape Town, and we have a three year old daughter who was born there (dual citizenship). Considering we've lived in Sydney and now UK, thats not a bad endorsement for Cape Town. My primary concern is schooling rather than personal safety of my family tbh....
My kids are in one of the Curro schools - they are excellent. Worth checking out...
Old Oct 25th 2012, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

pomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nicepomE is just really nice

Originally Posted by ededed
My kids are in one of the Curro schools - they are excellent. Worth checking out...
Thanks,

Im not too clued up on SA schools yet. What are Curro schools?

Only one Ive looked at so far is one of the international schools in Blouberg'/ Parklands I think.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 3:04 pm

Thanks,

Im not too clued up on SA schools yet. What are Curro schools?

Only one Ive looked at so far is one of the international schools in Blouberg'/ Parklands I think.
Curro own and manage a bunch of schools - I can't think of a UK equivalent. They are private - around R3k per child per month - which is pretty middle of the road but they deliver good results and provide excellent social and community skills for children. The trick with schools is to get your name down fast - they fill up quickly. Check where you will live and work too, traffic can be a nightmare in CT in rush hour. You can spend up to R10k a month - but you really don't need to...
Old Oct 26th 2012, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

Ill be located on cannon street, Cape Town in a company called top rope. If you search this in google you will find it on maps
What is this area like please??

thankyou
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

julian67 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I lived there for 9 years ('97-2006) and lived in the Bo-Kaap first (5 years) Lovely experience living amongst Muslims. Used to return to Europe for 6 months and never had my house / cars broken into. The community kept an eye on things! Ok I had a few 'bergies' (homeless) sometimes crashing in my cars when the rains came but otherwise my experience living in Cape Town was indeed memorable. The only reason we left was because of long lines at banks / post offices and having to either do a border run every 2 months just to get a fresh visa or stand in line for hours waiting for sullen, untrained 'doff' Home Affairs officials.

Cannon St is in Salt River area so I wouldn't recommend staying down there. Of course it may all be gentrified now but when I lived there it was DODGY! Check out Tamborsklof / Vradahoek, Ocean view drive / Fresnaye or Camps Bay. I moved from Bo-Kaap to Ocean View Drive / Frsnaye. Camps Bay and Llandundno just to avail of the great sunsets. Cannon St is noisy just off the busy Voertrekker Road.

Anyway, just like the animal kingdom, be observant and dress down.

TIPs: Stash your credit card in an old bloody bandage (ketch up) around your arm / leg. No mugger will bother looking there!

Copy all ID documents and email them to yourself. Otherwise, it can be a nightmare trying to get new ID.

Have some mug money just in case. I had a few dodgy close calls but my thing was that if they guessed which hand the money was in, they'd get it! Otherwise, better luck next time lads and off I went with a smile!

Always tip (5 rands or so) the lovely parking guys who look after your car or gas attendants who pump your gas. They get paid nothing yet breathe in fumes all day. The lads at Somerset road (where all the clubs are) are great.

Go online and listen to www.capetalk.co.za (talk radio) John Maytham 3-5 pm is pretty good.

Have fun down there.

PS. I gave up doing border visa runs up to Namibia & going into Home affairs and just stayed a year & a half 'illegally' After all, what are they afraid of! There's no dole in SA unlike Europe. I employed a lovely cleaning lady eytc and spent quite a bit of dosh there. They spend millions promoting SA then you arrive and they only give you a 2 month visa. So don't even stay 1 day illegally otherwise they'll fine you R3000 + like they told me to pay at one of their embassies abroad. But hey, I didn't pay it and don't intend to!

You'll have a great time there! Lovely people / amazing scenery and great food/veg/fruit,wine and weather!
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

Hi,
Thanks a lot for you reply!
Jesus well I hope I don't get mugged while I'm
Over there, making me want to stay in all day every day! Haha

Thanks for your reply
Old Nov 25th 2012, 7:55 am
Just Joined

Jambot is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Matthew. As a born and bred Capetonian I would like to say welcome and I hope that once you get 'officialdom' out of the way, you will arrive and have a great time living here.
Yes, our government departments are generally incompetent, but amazingly, if you persevere, you will come across a brilliant official who will sort your queries out first rate efficiency. My husband just applied for a new passport. Took less than 3 weeks, we could track its progress by text messages all the way and were sent a text when it arrived back at our local office. Can't really complain about that.
Salt River is a commercial/industrial area. There is some housing there but certainly not family friendly. If you are on your own, I suggest staying closer to the City, but if with the family, look at the Southern Suburbs. Areas like Rondebosch, Claremont, Kenilworth. Also lots of good schools in the area. If you are only here for the short term you could always look at the British School in Claremont. They follow the UK syllabus so your kids would easily fit back in when you get back.

Give a shout if you need to get any more info. And yes, we do have a crime issue, but our family manages to do lots of wonderful things in this city. You just learn to be observant and street-wise.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 11:45 am
Just Joined

Hi thanks for the reply
I'm going in my own and staying in the training camp bassed off cannon street! Can't really change we're I'm staying unfortunately!
Thanks for the help