Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Fight Fire with Fire - Home Invasions

Fight Fire with Fire - Home Invasions

Old Jun 23rd 2008, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fight Fire with Fire - Home Invasions

Hey, my prime target shooting days were from about 16 to 24. I was a real steady shot, spent many a saturday at the range in Midrand. Under orders from my father initially, but grew to love the sport. As for home protection, our days in SA were numbered the minute our first child was born. How to protect yourself in the car and home, in other words to have your gun readily available, but with a child around? It cannot be done safely IMO.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 10:22 pm

Chango is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pugsy
Hey, my prime target shooting days were from about 16 to 24. I was a real steady shot, spent many a saturday at the range in Midrand. Under orders from my father initially, but grew to love the sport. As for home protection, our days in SA were numbered the minute our first child was born. How to protect yourself in the car and home, in other words to have your gun readily available, but with a child around? It cannot be done safely IMO.
Well perhaps if you're at the top of your game (not me). Thankfully, since we left California, all I'm dealing with are rattlesnakes and stray dogs. My brother on the other hand is always packing.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Naaaah, after I shot Bambi's Mom, my life just went to hell.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Chango, I know its a nuisance thing, but even someone shooting a stray dog raises my Hackles.
amazing, I dont have the same compassion for dictators or bullies.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 10:56 pm

I know, I'm not cold about it. If they kill my animals, chickens, lambs it game over. If they're pretty and well behaved, I bend over backwards to see what farm they're from. We have many different snakes here and I only send the rattlers to snake heaven, reluctantly because I have so many small children about. I killed one yesterday that was absolutely beautiful; my son surprised him yesterday in the rail car where we keep the feed. The ambivalence there comes from him feasting on the field mice who love the taste of grain, so he or she is really doing me a service. Hope the hackles will relax...?
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

K, Thanks, hear you. have no problems . Just was'nt sure if it was all strays or just those gone feral.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 11:45 pm

On the subject of bullies btw, they were the beginning of my political formation. I can't really say that I was in fights growing up, I was never in fights really for being too small at first. I just got the crap kicked out of of me, a lot.
After years of going through "legal channels" to reduce the beatings to no avail, I had recourse to...high school muscle, mercenary like though a good friend who was happy to help. I never had ANY problems after that, ever. I think though, that the message directed at the bullies was clear and maybe overkill in terms of violence, but it was also clearer to me and how society really functions, outside of the perview of the law. But the peace was priceless...

PS: back on the subject of animals, I just closed a deal over the phone tonight on a small batch of nannies and kids. It makes me very happy. Why bring it up? Well, admitedly the connection is tenuous, but they're boer goats. A breed of beautiful, hearty, adaptable animals that was developed in South Africa. Perhaps a distant thank you is in order..

Last edited by Chango; Jun 24th 2008 at 1:42 am.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 12:32 pm
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ForeignGal
This info is very interesting, thanks, and I hope I didn't offend anyone!
You did not offend anyone - but why are you threatening to shoot us?

Please don't take this seriously - unless you want an RV in the OK Corral later on.

Seriously I understand that if a lady shoots someone it is easier to infer self defence than if a man shoots someone.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shees Pugsy,Midrands Guthries shooting range pops up in the strangest places.
when I first taught my wife to shoot there I was very gratified that she was getting all her shots into a nice group. Then I noticed they were all in the Crotch area of the target.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud of

I had some great fun there over the years. Those were the days! Your wife had the right idea, me thinks!!
Old Jun 24th 2008, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by Pugsy
I had some great fun there over the years. Those were the days! Your wife had the right idea, me thinks!!
OUCH!!!
Old Jul 1st 2008, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_A...349813,00.html

40 families a day attacked at home!!