Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

ESKOM HALTS DEVELOPMENT

ESKOM HALTS DEVELOPMENT

Old Mar 19th 2008, 7:36 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: ESKOM HALTS DEVELOPMENT

Eishkom now DEMANDS to hike their tarrifs by

53%

Oh, of course their managers are due to receive R10 M bonuses this month based on PERFORMANCE

Obviously based on a world class delivery

http://www.24.com/news/?p=saa&i=868173

Last edited by Campbells; Mar 19th 2008 at 7:41 am.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 8:14 am
Member Delux

Juggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant future

The current power crisis has brought attention to a resource that we as south africans have been taking for granted for years. Has the current government made a hash of their forecasting , most definitely. In fact the government and Eskom should jointly shoulder resonsibility for the current crisis .

One the flipside though we had to make a change in our usage patterns .As citizens we must face the fact that we have to start using our electricity wiser .
How many households make use of gas. visiting relatives in the UK made me aware of just how effieciently they use their electricity. Huge fuel tanks for central heating and geysers , gas stoves etc...

Compared to them we have been paying a lot less for this resource with moderate increases. In 2004 i know the electricity tariffs were increased by 20%.
They have more than 20 suppliers of electricity across the country .

How many alternate sources of electricity do we have besides coal and nuclear.

In short we need to start looking at our entire energy supply. A change is sorely needed.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 8:19 am
Member Delux

Juggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant future

Lets see what increase will be allowed by the regulator and then I'd like to compare my electricity tariff with yours .How bout that ?

Changes are needed We cant go on with business as usual .
Old Mar 19th 2008, 10:07 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Juggernaut
The current power crisis has brought attention to a resource that we as south africans have been taking for granted for years. Has the current government made a hash of their forecasting , most definitely. In fact the government and Eskom should jointly shoulder resonsibility for the current crisis .

One the flipside though we had to make a change in our usage patterns .As citizens we must face the fact that we have to start using our electricity wiser .
How many households make use of gas. visiting relatives in the UK made me aware of just how effieciently they use their electricity. Huge fuel tanks for central heating and geysers , gas stoves etc...

Compared to them we have been paying a lot less for this resource with moderate increases. In 2004 i know the electricity tariffs were increased by 20%.
They have more than 20 suppliers of electricity across the country .

How many alternate sources of electricity do we have besides coal and nuclear.

In short we need to start looking at our entire energy supply. A change is sorely needed.
Mate,

You sound like you are going to get a performance bonus from Eishkom

“A change is sorely needed”?

DESPERATE MEASURES IS MORE APPLICABLE

Don’t pull the line that we have been taking electricity for granted for years,

It is a global standard of energy

Not unless you are considering going back to rubbing sticks together to make fire

Well at least most folk would consider that “going back”

Let's hope you feel the same way about paying 50% more for 25% less
Old Mar 19th 2008, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Juggernaut, let us compare Apples with Apples.
I live in Ireland,known to be one of the more expensive countries in the EU.
I live in a 4 bedroom,4 bathroom House of approx 270 Sqm, I rent out my Primary Home in Johannesburg, which is a 4 Bedroom 5 bathroom house of approx 300 Sqm.
My Electricity and Paraffin (Kerosene) for the central Heating averages out at E150/month in Winter and E115/ month in Summer.
My Tenant pays Jo Met an average of ZAR1850/Month for electricity alone,excluding water
The ZAR Natural level at this time should be around ZAR9/Euro based on a 7% Devaluation it has shown over the past 10 years.
If you dont have a calculator handy I'm paying around ZAR1350 and i can assure you we are heavy users, every light in this place is on and Central Heating runs at 22 degrees C, same as my underfloor heating was set in ZA

Have a look at this for those who say SA is cheap to live in:

http://www.tycoon.co.za/2008/03/13/g...s-cheap-in-sa/
Old Mar 19th 2008, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Rick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really nice

Originally Posted by Daxk
Yes, Juggernaut, let us compare Apples with Apples.
I live in Ireland,known to be one of the more expensive countries in the EU.
I live in a 4 bedroom,4 bathroom House of approx 270 Sqm, I rent out my Primary Home in Johannesburg, which is a 4 Bedroom 5 bathroom house of approx 300 Sqm.
My Electricity and Paraffin (Kerosene) for the central Heating averages out at E150/month in Winter and E115/ month in Summer.
My Tenant pays Jo Met an average of ZAR1850/Month for electricity alone,excluding water
The ZAR Natural level at this time should be around ZAR9/Euro based on a 7% Devaluation it has shown over the past 10 years.
If you dont have a calculator handy I'm paying around ZAR1350 and i can assure you we are heavy users, every light in this place is on and Central Heating runs at 22 degrees C, same as my underfloor heating was set in ZA

Have a look at this for those who say SA is cheap to live in:

http://www.tycoon.co.za/2008/03/13/g...s-cheap-in-sa/
Wow, that seems quite expensive for South, but reasonable for Europe. The apartment I used to live in in London but now rent out has electricity and gas bills which run at about £180 in total per month. (Obviously a bit more in winter and a little less in summer depending on when the heating is on). Thats a 2 bed apartment.

In Zim the power bills are simply stupid. In my opinion they need to make business's and those with larger houses pay more. My home bill for Jan (didn't see my Feb one before I left) was equivalent to $18US/£9 and the one for the business was only a little more at $26/£13 I and many others get very frustrated at the low bills and bad service - much rather pay more to keep the maintenance up.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

No, RickB, my tenant is using less electricity than I di. my average monthly bill when I left in 2004 was ZAR1500. I know exactly what my tents bill is, I monitor it every month, if he does not pay,the Council does NOT switch him off, they merely add it to my rates account ad infinitum, try doing THAT if you are living in your own home and you'll live in Darkness.
where I am fortunate is that this house is Brand new,well insulated and the wiring grid around me is brand new too, so no little shorts to up electricity usage as you find in older houses apartments
Old Mar 19th 2008, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

Rick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really nice

No, RickB, my tenant is using less electricity than I di. my average monthly bill when I left in 2004 was ZAR1500. I know exactly what my tents bill is, I monitor it every month, if he does not pay,the Council does NOT switch him off, they merely add it to my rates account ad infinitum, try doing THAT if you are living in your own home and you'll live in Darkness.
where I am fortunate is that this house is Brand new,well insulated and the wiring grid around me is brand new too, so no little shorts to up electricity usage as you find in older houses apartments
I think I gave the wrong impression from my post to you. It seemed in my opinion that it was quite expensive. I don't own a property in South where I pay the elec bills so actually don't know. I wasn't questioning you, more was uttering out loud it seems expensive.

I know what the latter part of your post is like as I had a similar situation in December. My tenants in the first house I bought in Harare didn't pay the bill and it was still under my name (Bureaucracy issues in Zim that means most don't change the names on any bills including utilities and especially telephone lest you get cut off for months) - which led ZESA to come to my home and threaten to cut that off from electricity instead unless I didn't pay. Nice that they can be efficient when they want to be!!
Old Mar 20th 2008, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

ha, ha,ha- don't we love that about companies.
Truly a case where its the same the world over

With the advanced onset of globalisation , the companies will really be running the governments, if they are not already doing so in many parts of the world. Perhaps this is what Mugabe cannot accept- in his little world, the chief is the chief is the chief....

Originally Posted by Rick b
Nice that they can be efficient when they want to be!!
Old Mar 20th 2008, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Mugabe and SA the chief....is the thief....thief...etc
Old Mar 20th 2008, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

In the early days Castro got rid of any resistance in the country by offering anyone who wished to leave 'safe passage' i.e. everyone opposed to his views.

He also emptied out the prisons and sent them all to the states- now thats spiteful!

Obviously then one of bob's mentors.

One concept I had not thought about was theft of ones future, of the right to belong to the country you were born in.....especially if your future was initially guaranteed by the new leader in no uncertain terms.

Anyone who trusts a black african government must have rocks in their head...truly.

Mugabe and SA the chief....is the thief....thief...etc

Last edited by shiftdelete; Mar 20th 2008 at 9:22 am. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 20th 2008, 10:08 am
Member Delux

DaxK I'm all for comparing apples with apples.

Natural level ...Devaluation..cmon, dazzling us with all that gobbledy gook ! If you leave Ireland today for SA (of course not permanantly !!) with E1000 in your pocket landing in ORT Int @ R12.4 to the Euro you will get around R12400 and vise versa of course. (Dont get robbed on your way to your primary house)

So using your own example youre paying E1443 in summer and E1880 in winter.

I curently reside in a four bedroom house 3 bathrooms 365 Sqm in the north of Jozi .My electricity bill winter or summer (Three persons) is never more than R1000 .Your tenants R1850 bill is quite steep must be all those bathrooms.

A friend living just outside Belfast, Nothern Ire. Four bedrooms, 1 bathroom 230 Sqm Duplex unit - Ave central heating: 95 Pounds/m - Ave Elec. 33 pounds/m
Exchange rate-- 1pound -15.9ZAR He pays with the lowly rand - R2043

How u like them apples ?
Old Mar 20th 2008, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

I like them apples just fine,thanks juggernaut,if you think that 12.60 to the Euro is where it is meant to be, then fine, Somewhere on here I have the link tracking the Rand against other currencies over a 10 year period and between 6-7% devauluation a year is what its been doing.

I think the current rate is artificial and also wonder if it's helping the mines make up for a 10% loss in electricity and subsequent loss in production
I could also have compared when the ZAR was it 7.50 to the Euro when I arrived here and at that time my Electricity bill was at ZAR1500 month.
Or a year or10 back when ZAR was at a much higher rate

Yes.agreed, SA has had cheap electricity.
Yes, there were/are other forms available, Eskom kept their Tarriffs low to dissuade competitors.
Regarding your comment, not sure about Gas afik, Diesel and Paraffin(Kerosene) come from inported oil and Sasol cant produce but assume that Parliament could probably supply enough Methane to keep SA going.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Juggernaut,btw, what were your comments regarding the other link to the Cost of living in SA?
Old Mar 20th 2008, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Juggernaut
DaxK I'm all for comparing apples with apples.

Natural level ...Devaluation..cmon, dazzling us with all that gobbledy gook ! If you leave Ireland today for SA (of course not permanantly !!) with E1000 in your pocket landing in ORT Int @ R12.4 to the Euro you will get around R12400 and vise versa of course. (Dont get robbed on your way to your primary house)

So using your own example youre paying E1443 in summer and E1880 in winter.

I curently reside in a four bedroom house 3 bathrooms 365 Sqm in the north of Jozi .My electricity bill winter or summer (Three persons) is never more than R1000 .Your tenants R1850 bill is quite steep must be all those bathrooms.

A friend living just outside Belfast, Nothern Ire. Four bedrooms, 1 bathroom 230 Sqm Duplex unit - Ave central heating: 95 Pounds/m - Ave Elec. 33 pounds/m
Exchange rate-- 1pound -15.9ZAR He pays with the lowly rand - R2043

How u like them apples ?
Juggernaut, you really should bath more often , yes, there are three geysers in my primary home as well as underfloor heating, The electric Fence and the spotlights probably push it up too, and as soon as I have the Guard Towers with machine guns and searchlights built it will probably be more.
Thanks for the warning about being robbed on the way from OR Tambo, I see it's happening quite often to Tourists these days

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.