anyone in Zimbabwe?

Old Apr 24th 2012, 11:30 am
Just Joined

Fionamcdonagh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: anyone in Zimbabwe?

Hi johnny
My mom is resort manager at mlibezi zambezi resort.. It's loads of chalets self catering you can hire rafts (with or without driver) to go fishing on the river for the day. There is a little shop on the resort for basics oh and not forgetting the little bottle store. When I went last year mom had fresh bread and rolls made daily it's lovely and relaxing just to completely unwind.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your input, Johnny; I wish you all the best for your planned return to Zim. It's nice to hear that in general, the people are the same as they were many years ago. If I manage to arrange a visit, I'll certainly try to get in touch with you.
Old May 7th 2012, 11:41 pm
Yve
Forum Regular

Yve is an unknown quantity at this point

We took the plunge, visited end of last year for a month and are planning our move this autumn.
We loved it!
Everyone has to see Zimbabwe for themselves.
No place is perfect, and it does have some positive aspects.
Old May 16th 2012, 11:56 pm
Just Joined

fashionist is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by johnnybzw
Hi Dfjordan, I'm Zimbabwean - but been living in London for 7 years for obvious reasons... I've managed to get back once or twice a year for holiday and went back for Christmas recently. Honestly every year I've been it had got worse and worse - especially 2008 when literally every single shop was bare...like not a tin of anything on the shelves. I have no idea how anyone survived but they did. Now that they scrapped the Zim $ and are trading in US$ I can't tell you the change! Honestly the place is buzzing and so full of optimism I came back to London, lasted one day in the office and handed in my notice. I've just bought 2 cars to take back and leave June 1st for Zim!! And honestly everything there is absolutely fine...everyone is friendly - even the police! Just smile and you'll be fine. Fiona I can concur - we went all round the country and Harare and Vic Falls were by far the most affluent. Shame Byo is really struggling because obviously it's an opposition area so NO money goes into the whole province. Jordan you might be a little shocked at how nothing has been built pretty much since independance and there are no street lights or any luxurys like that anymore - they've also resorted to growing crops along main roads and in some roundabouts which makes it feel more like the rest of Africa but it still is exceptionally beautiful with wonderful people and tons more opportunity than here so I'm off! If you need a place to stay or anything or recommendations of where to go don't hesitate to shout. Fiona I love Mlibizi - we stayed at the Knox's place a few years ago - where's your mum working as I definitely want to head up to that end of the lake asap so having somewhere nice to stay would be a bonus! And contrary to the above I'm kind of hoping the old man will hang on for another year or so - it's relatively stable for the first time in a decade and the last thing anyone wants is more upheaval...anyway fingers crossed it all works out for Zim in the long run!
Thats encouraging. There is no place like home. I am a British Citizen and am thinking of going to settle for my business progression and family ties with the kids, then come back after maybe 4years with my children, what sort of stay do i need?
Old Jun 5th 2012, 10:23 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

I'm writing this from Harare, here for a couple of days on business. I have to say, I'm hugely encouraged by what I have seen so far. The people are friendly and positive, investment is coming and the wifi is better than in Joburg! The plane was full of businessmen - the ones I spoke to were all looking to expand into Zimbabwe....just waiting for Bob to move on.

The recent summit in Angola appears to have all but finished him off. It's a matter of time before he exits stage left and a new era comes in. How that will be different is anyone's guess of course, but it feels positive. I'll certainly be back....
Old Jun 5th 2012, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried engaging in politics? You know, that pesky free-speech stuff?

Apart from that, it is interesting to observe what happens when a government is no longer permitted to debauch its own currency.

Presumably you heard about the tyrant Mugabe being made the UN's tourism ambassador. What next, Assad as head of Save the Children?

Last edited by Pablo; Jun 5th 2012 at 11:05 am.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 1:15 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pablo
Have you tried engaging in politics? You know, that pesky free-speech stuff?

Apart from that, it is interesting to observe what happens when a government is no longer permitted to debauch its own currency.

Presumably you heard about the tyrant Mugabe being made the UN's tourism ambassador. What next, Assad as head of Save the Children?
Well, the word in the street is that once he's gone, the elections will be free-ish and fairer. We'll see. Like you, I remain sceptical - Zimbabwe is definitely at a tipping point.

The US dollar has certainly stabilised things but apparently (and I haven't been here before so can't compare) things are getting expensive - except land and housing which is still at 25% of its true market value. A good time to invest if you believe it's going to improve (i think I'll pass though). You still can't get finance for a car though - which doesn't help.

I didn't hear about Mugabe doing anything for the UN. I am assuming / hoping / guessing this is one of your famous practical jokes?
Old Jun 5th 2012, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ededed
I didn't hear about Mugabe doing anything for the UN. I am assuming / hoping / guessing this is one of your famous practical jokes?
Ed, read it and weep.

Robert Mugabe asked to be UN 'leader for tourism'
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...sm?INTCMP=SRCH

and

Canada quits UN tourism body over Mugabe appointment
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...be?INTCMP=SRCH
Old Jun 5th 2012, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Pablo
Ed, read it and weep.

Robert Mugabe asked to be UN 'leader for tourism'
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...sm?INTCMP=SRCH

and

Canada quits UN tourism body over Mugabe appointment
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...be?INTCMP=SRCH
Well. **** me.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 9:28 am
Just Joined

fashionist is an unknown quantity at this point

uuuuum!! Zim is a country full of investment ideas. Many are making it, so can u
Old Jun 9th 2012, 10:46 pm
Just a Realist...

vx999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone want to read up on day to day Zim can read Cathy Buckles blog, who blogs about every day life there.

http://www.cathybuckle.com/
Old Jun 10th 2012, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vx999
Anyone want to read up on day to day Zim can read Cathy Buckles blog, who blogs about every day life there.

http://www.cathybuckle.com/

So sad to read.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 10:28 pm
Just a Realist...

vx999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alfresco
So sad to read.
True, reading about the electricity cuts between 5am and 10pm everyday makes SA and their power cuts look good (probably a sign of things to come from Escom?).
Old Jun 11th 2012, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by vx999
True, reading about the electricity cuts between 5am and 10pm everyday makes SA and their power cuts look good (probably a sign of things to come from Escom?).
I'm amazed that people are surprised by what she has to say. It's hardly unknown that Mugabe has ripped the country apart and left it broke and broken.

I'm actually more surprised by how well it functions given what he has done. The Zimbabweans seem amazingly resilient people - too friendly for their own good, perhaps. I don't believe South Africans (or Libyans, Egyptians and Syrians) would have been so restrained. Viva la revolution.

Many Zimbabweans were talking to me of what a great job JZ had done in forcing Mugabe to behave. I don't even know where to begin with that train of thought.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 3:38 am
Just Joined

snowcap_9 is an unknown quantity at this point

johnnybzw-I just started investigating the current situation in Zim. as we will be arriving in Oct 012. I was interested in your remark about bringing back 2 cars-did you ship them to Mozambique? If so, some details please.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.