Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Any tips for Lagos, Nigeria?

Any tips for Lagos, Nigeria?

Old Jun 4th 2008, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any tips for Lagos, Nigeria?

I'm planning my first-ever foray into West Africa, accompanying my OH on a business trip to Lagos at the end of this month.

Anyone got any advice on how best to spend some time sightseeing safely? (I'm presuming I'll need a car with driver/bodyguard at the very least).

And if anyone reading this forum lives in Lagos and has a craving for Marmite or something similarly UK-centric... let me know.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Any tips for Lagos, Nigeria?

I was in Nigeria 2006/2007. It is do-able, just, although the Delta area remains very high risk.

I found the Bradt guide to Nigeria very good. Also, if it's OK to mention another website, take a look at Oyibosonline, mainly oil based expats, some banter, but some sound advice too if you approach them nicely!

You will need to register to see their security section, probably the best for breaking news in the country.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 8:20 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Don'r go to Warre or Port Harcourt.

Don't go out at night alone.

Stay in Victoria Island.

Enjoy - it is not as bad as portrayed - people do like to make a big deal about it - better than South Africa.

I was in Lagos one week and got mugged - at Paddington station London on the way back!!
Old Jun 4th 2008, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

Checkmate is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by newshoney
I'm planning my first-ever foray into West Africa, accompanying my OH on a business trip to Lagos at the end of this month.

Anyone got any advice on how best to spend some time sightseeing safely? (I'm presuming I'll need a car with driver/bodyguard at the very least).

And if anyone reading this forum lives in Lagos and has a craving for Marmite or something similarly UK-centric... let me know.
Generally safe.

You will not be attacked if walking the streets during the daytime with others.

Take all necessary precautions at night time. Victoria Island in Lagos is civil and nice. Lagos Island is rowdy so ensure that you go there with some other nigerians, but it is the hub of Lagos and would be generally safe, but uncomfortable (i.e.bumper traffic, etc). Ikeja is generally pleasant.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

I think Honeychile is going to help move Mrs Idi Amins 17 billion US$ into an offshore bank for a small slice of the action.
or Mr Newshoney is setting up a new coup attempt with Jeff Archer and the Thatcher brat.
Thats why they were in Zimbabwe,realised its no use Couping Bob, its all gone so now its Nigeria.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 2:28 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daxk
I think Honeychile is going to help move Mrs Idi Amins 17 billion US$ into an offshore bank for a small slice of the action.
or Mr Newshoney is setting up a new coup attempt with Jeff Archer and the Thatcher brat.
Thats why they were in Zimbabwe,realised its no use Couping Bob, its all gone so now its Nigeria.
Thats so funny!! And the idiot who went to Ivory Coast to get a girlfriend and cam backe less 30k punds!!

Old Jun 5th 2008, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

Interestingly, a few Zim farmers are in Nigeria:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/h...ria/html/1.stm
Old Jun 5th 2008, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daxk

Such a naughty boy...
If only life were that interesting I could write the big novel and retire on the proceeds.

Thanks to bonnyboy and others for the advice.