Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Any forums for ex South Africans?

Any forums for ex South Africans?

Old Jul 24th 2006, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

rossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nice
Default Any forums for ex South Africans?

I was wondering if anyone knew of another forum for ex Saffers now the Rainbow Nation one has closed down? I realise this forum is supposed to be for ex Brits now in SA or going to SA.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 10:01 am
Just Joined

FritzRadda is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any forums for ex South Africans?

I'm also keen to know. I see you are in Perth. I am in Cape Town, hoping to migrate to Perth as soon as my visa is processed, and would like to hear what other saffers have to say.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 10:39 am
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rossfive5
I was wondering if anyone knew of another forum for ex Saffers now the Rainbow Nation one has closed down? I realise this forum is supposed to be for ex Brits now in SA or going to SA.
We should start our own misc. sub forum for all the non-Brits who post in here! (but sorry I'm not a Saffa, though I did go there on holiday in April )
Old Jul 24th 2006, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

www.Rainbownation.com has NOT closed down ( yet ) but it is a pretty sad ( forum ) ...
( like the Springboks' Rugby Team , say ?
or sadder , even , if poss....? )
( Cry , the beloved country ?)
Try the www.saaustralia.org
or even the
www.globalbuzz-sa.com
Good Luck !
R.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Mizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossfive5
Try:
www.rsa-uk.com
www.globalbuzz-sa.com
www.thebottomhalf.com
Old Jul 24th 2006, 6:32 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Unfortunately, THE very best one closed about 4 years or so ago due to major trolling and in-fighting.

It was based in the UK.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Unfortunately, THE very best one closed about 4 years or so ago due to major trolling and in-fighting.

It was based in the UK.
Hey , what does "trolling" mean, in international English ???
Obrigado etc...
Old Jul 24th 2006, 8:27 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ray51
Hey , what does "trolling" mean, in international English ???
Obrigado etc...
Behaving like a doos, leading site owners to close the forum section of the site.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

This forum will most probably suit you - there are quite few on there that are still in South Africa: www.saaustralia.org

We've been in Perth for almost 6 weeks now and totally love it. Hubby has settled well into his job and really likes the company. My 2 little boy are blossoming here. They love being so close to the beach and having playgrounds everywhere. I've found the Aussies to be friendly and helpful and this has helped me to settle in quickly.

Good luck with your move.

Originally Posted by FritzRadda
I'm also keen to know. I see you are in Perth. I am in Cape Town, hoping to migrate to Perth as soon as my visa is processed, and would like to hear what other saffers have to say.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 2:35 am
Account Closed

That is a nice forum. I hang out on the usa branch.

A cousin of the dh's lives in Perth and adores it, happy as a pig in mud.

Glad to hear that you're settling in well
Old Jul 25th 2006, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

rossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nice

Thanks guys. Lots to look at now. We also love Perth. We got here last December and love the parks for the kids, especially the ones with free gas braai places . I will never take blue skies for granted again after 8 years in the mostly overcast UK. The people are very friendly here. Some say Perth is like the UK because there are so many poms here but we have not found that. It is the best of both worlds, we hear Afrikaans every now and again (lots of Saffers) and I'm sure there are lots of Brits but there are also plenty of Aussies here too, our neighbours on both sides and across the road are locals and always offering to help if we ever need them.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 6:45 am
Just Joined

Nice to hear positive stuff. Okay, for those who know Perth, we are looking to be there early next year. I got two kids, 9 and 10, and am looking for a nice neighbourhood, near school and public transport.

I want someone to give me advice on the areas or suburbs of WA. We are in Somerset West, just outside Cape Town, and if you live in Strand, the winds blows in summer, and if you live in Gordons Bay, the huricane blows in summer, in Somerset West, the summer wind does not blow. If you live in Kayalitcha or Macassar, I don’t need to tell you what WILL happen to you. I need advice like that.

I am selling our business if anyone wants to buy a guesthouse www.hbcc.co.za
Old Jul 25th 2006, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Do a search on in the Australia forum for "Perth suburbs".

Advice I was given -don't walk around Nightsbridge late at night by yourself. It is a nightclub district just north of the city centre.

These sites have sections on the suburbs:
www.aussiemove.com
www.movetoperth.com

Originally Posted by FritzRadda
Nice to hear positive stuff. Okay, for those who know Perth, we are looking to be there early next year. I got two kids, 9 and 10, and am looking for a nice neighbourhood, near school and public transport.

I want someone to give me advice on the areas or suburbs of WA. We are in Somerset West, just outside Cape Town, and if you live in Strand, the winds blows in summer, and if you live in Gordons Bay, the huricane blows in summer, in Somerset West, the summer wind does not blow. If you live in Kayalitcha or Macassar, I don’t need to tell you what WILL happen to you. I need advice like that.

I am selling our business if anyone wants to buy a guesthouse www.hbcc.co.za
Old Jul 25th 2006, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

We have not explored south of the river yet, so cant tell you about those areas. I have heard the Hills area is nice. Friends of ours live in Ellenbrook and say it reminds them of Brakenfell. It is a bit of a drive from town (38kms) and the beach, about 25mins drive. We are in Kingsley, 10 mins from the beach. 20 mins to town on the train. It is a pretty suburb. Houses here range from around $400k and still rising in price I'm afraid. We were told to avoid the 'KGB' areas, Koondoola, Girrawheen and Balga. We have not been there, but cant imagine anything here being as bad as Khayelitsha, Mitchels Plain, etc.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 9:08 am
Just Joined

Thanks, nice info,
Now, what matters most, the weather. I hear it can get VERY windy. Me, being a windsurfer, LOVES the wind, but only when it suits me and then not around the house. For the rest of the family, wind sux. btw - it is storming outside, and feels like the CapeStorm (North Wester) is gonna blow the house over
Which areas have least wind. It's not lekker to braai in a howling SouthEaster. Also, the sea temperature. No one ever talks about the 10 degree sea temp in Cape Town Atlantic side, but if you come to the Indian Ocean side of Cape Town, the water is a pleasant twenty something plus. This inside info is priceless.

TIA,
Fritz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.