Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

What is closely related to accounting?

What is closely related to accounting?

Old Oct 11th 2007, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Michang is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is closely related to accounting?

I am enrolled for a Master degree in Professional Accounting hopefully starting off July 2008 with the University of the Sunshine Coast. On the immi.gov.au pages it is stated that if you have been employed in for 1 out of the last 4 years in a closely related (MODL) job you can get 15 extra points.

My problem is that I don't know what "a closely related" job to accounting entails. My current job is as a Portfolio and Program Manager in the IT world, servicing financial institutions. My tasks include creating budgets, forecasts, manage resources, create strategy and added value for both the client and the organisation I work for. In my opinion my current job is closely related to accounting as my work is vital for making decisions with respect to future strategies and related investments.

Any thoughts?
Old Oct 11th 2007, 4:13 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is closely related to accounting?

Originally Posted by Michang
I am enrolled for a Master degree in Professional Accounting hopefully starting off July 2008 with the University of the Sunshine Coast. On the immi.gov.au pages it is stated that if you have been employed in for 1 out of the last 4 years in a closely related (MODL) job you can get 15 extra points.

My problem is that I don't know what "a closely related" job to accounting entails. My current job is as a Portfolio and Program Manager in the IT world, servicing financial institutions. My tasks include creating budgets, forecasts, manage resources, create strategy and added value for both the client and the organisation I work for. In my opinion my current job is closely related to accounting as my work is vital for making decisions with respect to future strategies and related investments.

Any thoughts?
You need some good professional advice, sorry. This is one of the most complex and potentially arbitrary areas of immigration law and if you are planning to apply onshore you may need to think ahead to a possible MRT appeal.