Studying ACCA

Old Nov 3rd 2011, 7:11 am
Just Joined

Jo7008 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Studying ACCA

Hi,

I have recently moved to Perth and am in the process of studying ACCA. I appreciate I am in the minority as most people here are studying CA or CPA or have already qualified but I was hoping to find someone else who is studying too!

I have exemptions from F1 - F3 so am starting at F4. If there is anyone in Perth at a similar level who would like to form a study group, then let me know as I have not yet decided which exams to sit next year.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

JOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really nice
Default Re: Studying ACCA

Originally Posted by Jo7008
Hi,

I have recently moved to Perth and am in the process of studying ACCA. I appreciate I am in the minority as most people here are studying CA or CPA or have already qualified but I was hoping to find someone else who is studying too!

I have exemptions from F1 - F3 so am starting at F4. If there is anyone in Perth at a similar level who would like to form a study group, then let me know as I have not yet decided which exams to sit next year.
I do not know any one studying ACCA in Perth, but just wondering out of curiosity why you chose ACCA and not CA/CPA? I completed ACCA before moving here but had problems with employers requesting for local qualifications, unless you have some very solid experience it is going to be a hard sell. Also, while studying for CA I met a no. of guys who were ACCA qualified too and had to study again. Not that CA/CPA are better than ACCA, but it is hard to argue with employers and what they chose to recognise. All the best.
Old Nov 5th 2011, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I am ACCA qualified and have encountered no problems whatsoever so far and would not expect to in the future either.

However, seeing as though you are here in Australia and have options, I agree with Joe that it is an odd choice, why don't you do CPA / CA instead?
Old Nov 10th 2011, 6:03 am
Just Joined

Jo7008 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately I do not have a degree... a requirement for CA so I do not have this as an option.

I am AAT qualified in the UK and this means I get a number of exemptions from ACCA so I don't need to repeat my studies. As far as I can tell from my correspondence with CPA, they are unable to accept my AAT qualification and I would have to start over again from scratch.

Not a fan of starting from the bottom again and definitely do not want to go to university to get a degree before I start my professional studies... so ACCA is the route for me.

I am employed by an international firm so ACCA is recognised by them as an acceptable qualification to have.

If you hear of anyone studying in Perth, let me know. Thanks.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

Big Bird has a spectacular aura aboutBig Bird has a spectacular aura aboutBig Bird has a spectacular aura about

Alternatively go the CIMA route and then use the mutual recognition agreement to obtain CPA.