Query on CIMA/ACCA/CPA-Aus

Old May 3rd 2011, 11:31 am
Just Joined

vmn242018 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Query on CIMA/ACCA/CPA-Aus

I have completed my CMA (IMA-USA) + ICWA (through MRA between CMA and ICWA-India). I have been working in the middle east from the past 10 years in various accounting positions (last 5 years in a managerial position).

Question- I wish I can do ACA (either from Aus or UK....) but I cant- simply because I dont want to go through mentored training.

I have shortlisted 3 courses which might help me in future- CIMA / ACCA / CPA-Aus. My plan is to move to Singapore or Aus in another 2-3 years.

I have done the following assessment of these qualifications. I would appreciate if you can help me decide the qualification which can help in the long term-
Attached Thumbnails Query on CIMA/ACCA/CPA-Aus-acca-cima-cpa-aus.jpg  
Old May 3rd 2011, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

JOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really nice
Default Re: Query on CIMA/ACCA/CPA-Aus

If you are planning to move to Australia, I would go for CPA.

How come you do not want to go through mentored training? Unless you work for a multinational you may find you are beginning all over again.

Good luck.
Old May 3rd 2011, 9:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what CMA and ICWA are, but assume they are some kind of accounting qualification?

In that case, if I were doing anything, I would go for CPA on the grounds that you are already an accountant and it is the easiest of the three mentioned. I chose not to do any Australian specific exams / conversions/ mutual recognition though.
Old May 4th 2011, 5:01 am
Just Joined

Hi Joe

But dont you think, that CPA-Aus is quite easy in comparison to ACCA or CIMA? Above all I really dont know if I will be able to migrate to Aus or Singapore (due to some family circumtances)- although I am trying for Aus. If I manage to shift to Aus, I can do CPA-Aus in a year? I have seen the syllabus and I need to appear only in 6 exams. One more thing which worries me is that CPA-Aus is an open book exam which is quite unique if you compare it with other similar exams. Please dont take it otherwise but do you think employers take this qualification seriously in other parts of the world?

With regards to mentored training, how is it possible for me when I am already working full time? If I need mentored training, I need to quit my current job + I might have to compromise on the new package.

What do you think?

Originally Posted by JOE2010
If you are planning to move to Australia, I would go for CPA.

How come you do not want to go through mentored training? Unless you work for a multinational you may find you are beginning all over again.

Good luck.
Old May 4th 2011, 5:05 am
Just Joined

Hi

Thank you for your reply

CMA is Certified Management Accountant. It is from Institute of Management Accountants (IMA-USA). ICWA is- Indian Cost & Works Accountant. Both are accounting qualifications.

I would like to take your advise also on the same question that I have asked from Joe-

1) But dont you think, that CPA-Aus is quite easy in comparison to ACCA or CIMA?
2) One more thing which worries me is that CPA-Aus is an open book exam which is quite unique if you compare it with other similar exams. Please dont take it otherwise but do you think employers take this qualification seriously in other parts of the world?

Thank you once again

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Not sure what CMA and ICWA are, but assume they are some kind of accounting qualification?

In that case, if I were doing anything, I would go for CPA on the grounds that you are already an accountant and it is the easiest of the three mentioned. I chose not to do any Australian specific exams / conversions/ mutual recognition though.
Old May 4th 2011, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

CPA is open book yes, this is why I recommend it as it is easy and you have already done "real" accountancy exams so why do it again? But if you are coming into Australia something an Australian employer recognises is on your CV.

I have been here a year, I am deputy to CFO of a big organisation, I tell recruiters that I am not that impressed with CPA, not only is it open book but it is multiple choice. Still I did not know this until I got here, so doubt many overseas people would either. And whilst I more or less rule CPAs out based on poor opinion of this as a qualification, nevertheless Australians seem to value it.
Old May 4th 2011, 6:14 am
Just Joined

Hi

Thanks a lot for your crystal clear reply.

If you dont mind, could you share some information on your qualifications. This is because you are already working on a position where I would like to reach- one day.

Out of ACCA and CIMA which one would you prefer and why? Could you advise if there is any other accounting qualification which I should go for (other than CA simply because of mentored training which is impossible for me because I am already in full time employment).

Thanks a lot again

Vic

CPA is open book yes, this is why I recommend it as it is easy and you have already done "real" accountancy exams so why do it again? But if you are coming into Australia something an Australian employer recognises is on your CV.

I have been here a year, I am deputy to CFO of a big organisation, I tell recruiters that I am not that impressed with CPA, not only is it open book but it is multiple choice. Still I did not know this until I got here, so doubt many overseas people would either. And whilst I more or less rule CPAs out based on poor opinion of this as a qualification, nevertheless Australians seem to value it.
Old May 4th 2011, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Blendin is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not impressed with the US CPA (lax work experience requirements) and the ridiculous 150 semester hour rule (you have to take additional courses in photography, basket weaving and cooking) on top of your four year accounting degree, but the Americans seem to think highly of it.
Old May 4th 2011, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

Hi Blendin

Forget about US CPA. Here I need your advise on CIMA/ACCA/CPA-Australia.

I do agree with you that AICPA has some strict entry requirement but we have other options as well. So no worries.

Please help me to make selection between CIMA, ACCA and CPA-Aus

Thanks

Vic

Originally Posted by Blendin
I am not impressed with the US CPA (lax work experience requirements) and the ridiculous 150 semester hour rule (you have to take additional courses in photography, basket weaving and cooking) on top of your four year accounting degree, but the Americans seem to think highly of it.
Old May 4th 2011, 10:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by vmn242018
Hi

Thanks a lot for your crystal clear reply.

If you dont mind, could you share some information on your qualifications. This is because you are already working on a position where I would like to reach- one day.

Out of ACCA and CIMA which one would you prefer and why? Could you advise if there is any other accounting qualification which I should go for (other than CA simply because of mentored training which is impossible for me because I am already in full time employment).

Thanks a lot again

Vic
I qualified as ACCA 15 years ago.

I have said what I think about it. I don't know why you would do ACCA or CIMA as you already have an accountancy qualification. I have no intentions of doing anything, but if you want to then do the CPA as it is easier and for reasons I cannot fathom, Australians like it.

I don't think you meant to be, but you were a bit rude to Blendin there, he was just making conversation. You are not going to encourage people to post with responses like that.
Old May 5th 2011, 4:54 am
Just Joined

Hi

First of all thank you for your reply

With regards to adding one more qualification, the main reason is- CMA and ICWA is not well recognized in Aus or Singapore. But ACCA, CIMA and CPA (AUS) are. In another 1-2 years my plan is to migrate either to Singapore or to Aus (depending on the situation). As per your knowledge- from CIMA and ACCA which one is more recognized in Aus. Could you share some information on the job market situation in Aus? Is it better than UK or US?

With regards to the message that I sent to Blendin, I totally agree with you. Although I did not mean it but my selection of words was very poor. Thank you for pin-pointing it as this is not acceptable.

Thank you once agin

Vic

I qualified as ACCA 15 years ago.

I have said what I think about it. I don't know why you would do ACCA or CIMA as you already have an accountancy qualification. I have no intentions of doing anything, but if you want to then do the CPA as it is easier and for reasons I cannot fathom, Australians like it.

I don't think you meant to be, but you were a bit rude to Blendin there, he was just making conversation. You are not going to encourage people to post with responses like that.
Old May 5th 2011, 4:57 am
Just Joined

Hi Blendin

In my last post, my selection of words was very poor and I apologize for this.

Still waiting for your reply on my last post to you

Thanks

Vic

Originally Posted by Blendin
Old May 13th 2011, 8:54 am
Just Joined

justin30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Query on CIMA/ACCA/CPA-Aus

Hi Vic,

If you have got accountancy qualifications already you would probably be exempt from most of CIMA & ACCA exams. You can check this out for CIMA at www.cimaglobal.com

When I was in Australia, although not many people had the CIMA qualification they did recognise it over there (Im not sure the same would happen with CPA). Further, there is a reciprocal agreement with CIMA & ACCA with CPA so all can be valid for emigration purposes.

Hope this helps
Old Jun 9th 2011, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

JohnJ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by justin30
Hi Vic,

If you have got accountancy qualifications already you would probably be exempt from most of CIMA & ACCA exams. You can check this out for CIMA at www.cimaglobal.com

When I was in Australia, although not many people had the CIMA qualification they did recognise it over there (Im not sure the same would happen with CPA). Further, there is a reciprocal agreement with CIMA & ACCA with CPA so all can be valid for emigration purposes.

Hope this helps
Just to clarify one issue- there is limited recognition of ACCA by CPA Australia- you have to do approx six further exams to gain the CPA qualification which is ludicrous- they told me they regard it as equivalent to a bachelors degree in accounting- don't get me started
Old Jun 25th 2011, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

sasa110 is an unknown quantity at this point

Vic,
i am Indian, ACCA affiliate. I am aware of ICWAI qualification - have colleagues who've done it.

ICWA would be difficult to market in Aus, dont know about CMA USA. I would suggest you enroll for the CPA Australia immediately and take exams from the middle east itself, where they have exam centers. http://www.cpaaustralia.com.au/cps/r...locations.html

CPA Aus recognises the ICWAI for entry to advanced level ( http://www.cpaaustralia.com.au/cps/r...fications.html ), so you might just have to do 6 papers, and have exemption from 3 year mentored experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.