Part Qual ACCA Australia

Old May 21st 2007, 11:16 am
Boh
Just Joined

Boh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Part Qual ACCA Australia

I'm hoping I can get some advice from someone.

I've a BA Degree and have completed part 1 & 2 ACCA professional. Final stage to be completed.

I've had my degree assessed by CPA Australia and its recognised.

I'm moving to Oz in August. My questions are:

1. Should I stick with ACCA in Australia or consider moving to CPA or other body and finish my qual with them?

2. Can anyone point me to a decent uni in Brisbane area to study law & tax?

3. Any other bits of info pieces of advice?

cheers
Old May 22nd 2007, 1:46 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Part Qual ACCA Australia

Originally Posted by Boh
I'm hoping I can get some advice from someone.

I've a BA Degree and have completed part 1 & 2 ACCA professional. Final stage to be completed.

I've had my degree assessed by CPA Australia and its recognised.

I'm moving to Oz in August. My questions are:

1. Should I stick with ACCA in Australia or consider moving to CPA or other body and finish my qual with them?

2. Can anyone point me to a decent uni in Brisbane area to study law & tax?

3. Any other bits of info pieces of advice?
1. If you see your future in Australia, then an Australian qualification will likely be preferable to ACCA. And when choosing between the Australian qualifications, you should look hard at becoming an Australian CA instead of CPA. For example, if you move to the UK later on, Australian CA is recognised for getting a British qualification on mutual recognition - but CPA is not.

2. You should get the list of accredited bridging study courses from CPAA or ICAA. The University of Queensland is the best university in Brisbane, but if you want distance learning you will have to look at other options such as the University of New England (Armidale NSW), University of Southern Queensland (Toowoomba) or Deakin University (Victoria).

Not sure if any of the metro Brisbane universities offer part time study - you would need to ask.

3. Have you looked into whether you can obtain the Oxford Brookes BSc degree as well?
Old May 22nd 2007, 10:12 am
Boh
Just Joined

Boh is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks JAJ for your advice. I'm enrolled into Brookes BSC program all right.

Whats the essenitial differences (if any) between CPA & CA in Australia?
Old May 22nd 2007, 2:15 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boh
Thanks JAJ for your advice. I'm enrolled into Brookes BSC program all right.
Then you should finish the BSc. Even if you have a degree already, a second one will not hurt your resume.

Whats the essenitial differences (if any) between CPA & CA in Australia?
Not much difference once you have it. But CA is slightly better regarded in Australia, so all things being equal it's better to have.

Also - CA is recognised in more countries than CPA. For example, Australian CA is recognised (for mutual recognition) in the United Kingdom, Canada and New Zealand while Australian CPA is not.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 5:56 am
Just Joined

accayasir is an unknown quantity at this point

hi dears,

I have really appreciate your dicussion on this issue but still i am confuse.
please clearify me:

I am acca student and currently studying part 3 core papers. I want to move autralia through skilled migrant. I have the Bs hon degree from oxford brookes university, which is awarded through completing acca part 2.

can i use this degree for skilled assessment?
and which assessment body should i choose for assessing my qualification? ICAA/CPA/NIA ?
is it worth 60points?
Old Jun 20th 2007, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

oksana21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi accayasir,

I'm not an expert but would recommend to get your qualification approved/assessed by ICAA, they are also the board to apply through to become an Australian CA later on.

Please remember that to be able to apply for the skilled (especially the 60pts category) you must also prove work experience, not just passing your exams.

My guess is that the degree would be sufficient to be approved by the ICAA board, as it is only assessing whether you would be permitted to start the programme, and the minimum requirement is a degree equivalent to the australian bachelor level.

A few weeks ago i have sat my last 3 ACCA exams, so am in a similar boat tou you, so keep us informed please of how you get along please!

Hope i could help

Boh,

In your position i would definitely try to get onto the CA instead of the CPA route, as JAJ its more highly seen even though it covers pretty much the same stuff! (I made the mistake of choosing ACCA over ACA when i had a free choice and am now regretting it!)

If you still got the full final stage to do i.e. 5 papers i would not bother as this adds little value (if you obtain the CA of course).

Best of luck with your move in August, keep us posted....

Oksana
Old Jun 21st 2007, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by oksana21
Hi accayasir,

I'm not an expert but would recommend to get your qualification approved/assessed by ICAA, they are also the board to apply through to become an Australian CA later on.

Please remember that to be able to apply for the skilled (especially the 60pts category) you must also prove work experience, not just passing your exams.

My guess is that the degree would be sufficient to be approved by the ICAA board, as it is only assessing whether you would be permitted to start the programme, and the minimum requirement is a degree equivalent to the australian bachelor level.

A few weeks ago i have sat my last 3 ACCA exams, so am in a similar boat tou you, so keep us informed please of how you get along please!

Hope i could help

Boh,

In your position i would definitely try to get onto the CA instead of the CPA route, as JAJ its more highly seen even though it covers pretty much the same stuff! (I made the mistake of choosing ACCA over ACA when i had a free choice and am now regretting it!)

If you still got the full final stage to do i.e. 5 papers i would not bother as this adds little value (if you obtain the CA of course).

Oksana
thanks buddy,

I will keep you inform about what is going in future.
our first periority should be to pray for success in august.
Ok and thanks for the reply.

you know this is my first time to use a forum and i am feeling good to be here .........ok.....tc
Old Dec 12th 2007, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

accazafar is an unknown quantity at this point

My friend I am new to this forum and looking to get a ACCA but your comment about Australian CA make me think my question is that if I complete 9 papers of ACCA then how many I have to give to get Australian CA.

regards,
Zafar

Originally Posted by oksana21
Hi accayasir,

Hope i could help

Boh,

Oksana
Old Dec 14th 2007, 5:48 am
Just Joined

hi buddies!

My question is from boh......in which subject area you have completed your BA degree.....
your assessment was based on just part 2 or BA or both?

Yar I heard that there is no need of any experience when you are assessing degee.....experience is required when u r applying for ODL(occupation in demand list) i-e 12 months

Tell me am i right?
Old Dec 16th 2007, 5:37 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by accazafar
My friend I am new to this forum and looking to get a ACCA but your comment about Australian CA make me think my question is that if I complete 9 papers of ACCA then how many I have to give to get Australian CA.
ICAA may not give you any credit unless you obtain either the full ACCA qualification, or at least the BSc degree from Oxford Brookes University.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 8:55 am
Just Joined

accazafar is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks my friend I'll keep myself upto date with the forum.
My last question was the same that after completing the 9 papers of ACCA we get BA hon from oxford brooks. SO what exemption we get.

thanks
Old Dec 16th 2007, 9:43 am
JAJ
Retired

My last question was the same that after completing the 9 papers of ACCA we get BA hon from oxford brooks. SO what exemption we get.
You will probably find it's a BSc degree ...

With the degree you will probably be able to get entry to the CA Program (5 papers) after you do bridging tax/law study. But no exemptions.
Old Dec 25th 2007, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

silentgear is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks
hey!

Any updates from Oksana, Yasir or Zafar?

Plus, i'm still a bit confused as to how far can the Bsc from Oxford Brooks take us? Like JAJ said, it could get your Degree Assessed successfully from ICAA/CPA.

But would it be enough for immigration purpose? As in, after getting your degree assessed, you need to fulfill the immigration requirements.

To sum it up, a guy with 1 to 1.5 years relevant work experience (big 4), plus an Oxford Brooks Bsc degree, plus an ACCA affiliate status, stand a chance of immigrating to AUS.?! Assuming he passes the point test for Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) visa (subclass 176). (100 points)

Last edited by silentgear; Dec 25th 2007 at 3:50 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 2:15 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by silentgear
Plus, i'm still a bit confused as to how far can the Bsc from Oxford Brooks take us? Like JAJ said, it could get your Degree Assessed successfully from ICAA/CPA.

But would it be enough for immigration purpose? As in, after getting your degree assessed, you need to fulfill the immigration requirements.

To sum it up, a guy with 1 to 1.5 years relevant work experience (big 4), plus an Oxford Brooks Bsc degree, plus an ACCA affiliate status, stand a chance of immigrating to AUS.?! Assuming he passes the point test for Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) visa (subclass 176). (100 points)

Look carefully at booklet 6, including:

- will the work experience be accepted as "skilled" if it's before a professional qualification is obtained?
- what will the work experience points be? Also, MODL points require work experience

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/booklets.htm

In a situation like this I would recommend competent professional assistance.