Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

Oz bound accountant needs advise please.

Oz bound accountant needs advise please.

Old Jan 20th 2007, 9:09 am
Account Closed

Scott will become famous soon enough
Question Oz bound accountant needs advise please.

Hi
Just wondered if anyone could offer any advise on the process of getting an Accountant job when I get there. We're only just starting the process at the minute, but (apart from the bundles of cash we're gonna need!) this is my major concern.
I've been (CIMA) qualified 2 years now and promised myself I would never have to sit another accounts exam. The thought of having to restudy and sit the CA (is that right?) exams fill me with more dread than the ozzie creepy crawlies!

I currently work in industry and have never had any desire to work in practise - does this make a difference? Are there any non practise jobs over there? and does anyone know how bad the CA exams are?

Please help!

s&r
Old Jan 20th 2007, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

smiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to all
Default Re: Oz bound accountant needs advise please.

Originally Posted by scott&rachel
Hi
Just wondered if anyone could offer any advise on the process of getting an Accountant job when I get there. We're only just starting the process at the minute, but (apart from the bundles of cash we're gonna need!) this is my major concern.
I've been (CIMA) qualified 2 years now and promised myself I would never have to sit another accounts exam. The thought of having to restudy and sit the CA (is that right?) exams fill me with more dread than the ozzie creepy crawlies!

I currently work in industry and have never had any desire to work in practise - does this make a difference? Are there any non practise jobs over there? and does anyone know how bad the CA exams are?

Please help!

s&r
Hi,

I'm ACCA and worked in Oz for two years in late 90s and have now been back in Brisbane for 3 months.

There are two main qualifications over here - ACA and CPA.

I put on my CV - "ACCA(UK) - CPA Equivalent".

Employers generally accept that it is equivalent, although you've got the hurdle of not having an Ozzie qualification - which will go against you for some jobs but won't matter for others (depends on employer).

I haven't bothered with Ozzie quals and the job market is pretty strong for accountants at the moment, so look on the bright side and go for it.

Best of luck.

Haydn
Old Jan 20th 2007, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

smiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to all

Hi

Please help!

s&r
Hi,

Me again.

Forgot to mention that since qualifying in early 90s, I've worked in industry. You'll find the types of jobs on offer exactly the same as in UK financial controller / management accountant etc etc

Haydn
Old Jan 20th 2007, 2:15 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smiths
Hi,

I'm ACCA and worked in Oz for two years in late 90s and have now been back in Brisbane for 3 months.

There are two main qualifications over here - ACA and CPA.
No such thing as ACA in Australia - Australian Chartered Accountants use the letters CA or FCA.

Since 2005 there is also the PNA designation from the NIA. Not yet as well recognised as CA, but that may change over time as now the NIA is in IFAC.

I put on my CV - "ACCA(UK) - CPA Equivalent".

Employers generally accept that it is equivalent, although you've got the hurdle of not having an Ozzie qualification - which will go against you for some jobs but won't matter for others (depends on employer).

I haven't bothered with Ozzie quals and the job market is pretty strong for accountants at the moment, so look on the bright side and go for it.
I would say it is unwise "not to bother" with an Australian qualification. Sooner or later, there's a good risk it will come back to haunt you.

If you don't have a university degree, that could also be a problem long term - most Australian accountants have this.

And if you're going to do an Australian qualification it's a very clear choice - do the most prestigious one (CA) if you can. You don't need to be working in public practise. Usually, it doesn't make much sense to do CPA if CA is an option.

And for CIMA accountants, there are actually fewer exams to do to become a CA compared to CPA.

Last edited by JAJ; Jan 20th 2007 at 2:17 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 4:42 pm
Account Closed

Scott will become famous soon enough

Thanks for that,

I guess the best thing is just to wait and see. I've only had 2 years break since qualifying so maybe after a bit longer it won't seem so bad.

Rachel.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 11:27 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Please help!

s&r
Don't bother trying to sort a job before you get here - I followed one lead and the agent tried to put me in a job that turned out to be less than 2/3rds what the going rate was. I also chose to spend several weeks on arrival get my bearings rather than starting work which was the best move I ever made. Just rock up, call Hays, Robert Walters and Hudson and you will be offered half a dozen interviews within days - that was my experience in Perth 12 months ago anyway.

I have said before and still believe - in industry you don't need to convert - most of what I learnt studying was useless in the UK and no more relevant here. There are plenty of jobs in industry not just practice and you won't get overlooked for anything other than financial accounting without it.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 11:42 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
I have said before and still believe - in industry you don't need to convert - most of what I learnt studying was useless in the UK and no more relevant here. There are plenty of jobs in industry not just practice and you won't get overlooked for anything other than financial accounting without it.
Problem is that many Australians don't understand (or want to understand) overseas qualifications. It may be ok if you are an English/Welsh, Scottish or Irish CA, but those who qualified as ACCA or CIMA do risk problems long term if they choose not to become Australian CAs.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 8:57 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Problem is that many Australians don't understand (or want to understand) overseas qualifications. It may be ok if you are an English/Welsh, Scottish or Irish CA, but those who qualified as ACCA or CIMA do risk problems long term if they choose not to become Australian CAs.
Maybe it is because there are so many poms arriving in Perth or that I tend to work for large organisations but I have found it no problem. Being "chartered" may help as that term is recognised here.

The best reason I can think of for converting is that the tax exams may mean I can do my own tax return / claim everything I can. I just can't face the idea of going back to the classroom after all this time.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 12:32 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by worzel
Maybe it is because there are so many poms arriving in Perth or that I tend to work for large organisations but I have found it no problem. Being "chartered" may help as that term is recognised here.

The best reason I can think of for converting is that the tax exams may mean I can do my own tax return / claim everything I can. I just can't face the idea of going back to the classroom after all this time.
Wouldn't becoming an Australian CA help from a professional development and networking point of view? Also, of course, doing the tax/law course would most likely meet your CPD requirements for a period of time.

Same applies for ACCA/CIMA/CIPFA people who have to do the CA Program - it's all good CPD.

Last edited by JAJ; Jan 23rd 2007 at 1:53 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 3:18 am
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by JAJ
Wouldn't becoming an Australian CA help from a professional development and networking point of view? Also, of course, doing the tax/law course would most likely meet your CPD requirements for a period of time.

Same applies for ACCA/CIMA/CIPFA people who have to do the CA Program - it's all good CPD.
It would not do any harm, I agree. I did go to 4 sessions of the CPA congress last year (invite via a CPA colleague) so I mostly have that sort of thing covered. Given the work I do and being newly located to Australia my CPD has focused on keeping on top of IT issues and learning new systems (Cognos, Hyperion HFM rather than Enterprise, mySAP etc) and industry / national knowledge (trying to get on a 2 day intro to mining soon).

Again, if I was in another area like auditing or financial accounting it would be a different story.