British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Accountants (https://britishexpats.com/forum/accountants-87/)
-   -   MYOB training (https://britishexpats.com/forum/accountants-87/myob-training-604455/)

annamichelle2310 Apr 20th 2009 10:06 am

MYOB training

Hi Guys
Calling all accountants and book keepers!
I am migrating to Brisbane at the end of July.
I'm an accountant and want to do some training in MYOB before I arrive, as that seems to be what all the recruiters are recommending.

I've been told that I need to find training in the 'Premier' version of MYOB but would also like to get some background training in the book keeping/lower end processing versions so that I can pick up more junior temp work and be familiar with the software if need be.

I've tried contacting myob.com who only provide a really basic course and also AccountingCollege.com.au who offer a beginner, intermediate and advanced training package, however I am told that this doesn't include the Premier version and I am getting more than a bit confused!
Also they said that there is some legislation coming in regarding MYOB and book keeping training.

Can anyone tell me please what courses I should be doing and where to go on the net to find the course provider?!

Bermudashorts Apr 21st 2009 7:42 am

Re: MYOB training

What on earth is "MYOB" training? Also an accountant, never heard of it and certainly not heard I need to do it before I mov e to Australia. :-)

annamichelle2310 Apr 21st 2009 8:11 am

MYOB is accounting software most used over there.
It appears that most employers want you to have experience in it. I'm going to do some online training before I leave!

OzSheila Apr 21st 2009 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 7498894)
What on earth is "MYOB"?

MYOB = Mind Your Own Business

Only Aussies could come up with a name like that!

Geelong Gent Apr 24th 2009 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by OzSheila (Post 7498958)
MYOB = Mind Your Own Business

Only Aussies could come up with a name like that!

Was the company not started by a kiwi

OzSheila Apr 25th 2009 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent (Post 7511928)
Was the company not started by a kiwi

OK then "Antipodeans" - one and the same as far as I am concerned.

DPD83 Jun 1st 2009 4:15 am

Originally Posted by annamichelle2310 (Post 7495580)
Hi Guys
Calling all accountants and book keepers!
I am migrating to Brisbane at the end of July.
I'm an accountant and want to do some training in MYOB before I arrive, as that seems to be what all the recruiters are recommending.

I've been told that I need to find training in the 'Premier' version of MYOB but would also like to get some background training in the book keeping/lower end processing versions so that I can pick up more junior temp work and be familiar with the software if need be.

I've tried contacting myob.com who only provide a really basic course and also AccountingCollege.com.au who offer a beginner, intermediate and advanced training package, however I am told that this doesn't include the Premier version and I am getting more than a bit confused!
Also they said that there is some legislation coming in regarding MYOB and book keeping training.

Can anyone tell me please what courses I should be doing and where to go on the net to find the course provider?!

Hi,
Since you need to start doing a job as soon as possible it's more advzable to follow a MYOB short course which goes only for about 20 hours. I think it's more than enough since you already have accounting knowlege. Meantime you can download MYOB trial version which is easy to learn. Just do a google search on MYOB short courses. I migrated in Feb and currently studying the trial version. Also planning to do a short course either Monash or Holmeglen. There are many places.All the best.

helloshivahere Jun 4th 2009 2:07 pm

I feel MYOB is as simple as other Accounting softwares. If you good in accounting and computer ( Basics) just download trail version 100MB+ and get installed in your syetem go ahead with your own training. I am doing the same .

MYOB, Quick Book, Pastel, Attache, Great Plain, Tally, WINGS load of tools but same ledger, TB, P& L, BS is in it

Hellboy663 Jun 7th 2009 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 7498894)
What on earth is "MYOB" training? Also an accountant, never heard of it and certainly not heard I need to do it before I mov e to Australia. :-)

MYOB is actually an accounting software used by small companies and is useful to know for new migrants looking for a job, however, it would not be very useful for an experienced accountant who intends to work for an MNC or a large Australian company. In such cases, knowledge of ERP systems like SAP, JD Edwards, Hyperion or Cognos might be more useful.

JOE2010 Jun 18th 2009 1:45 pm

MYOB is made for people without any accounting qualification. I just downloaded it from the internet when I came here three years ago. It is just too easy no need of attend any course. Again, too easy.