Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

Entering the Accounting Job market in Australia (migrated CIMA Passed finalist)

Entering the Accounting Job market in Australia (migrated CIMA Passed finalist)

Old May 28th 2009, 1:27 am
Just Joined

DPD83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Entering the Accounting Job market in Australia (migrated CIMA Passed finalist)

Dear All,
I migrated to Melbourne Australia(from Sri Lanka) in February 2009 under spouse visa. I carry three years experience (As an Assistant Manager) in Finance, Investment, Administration and little in Accountancy too. I'm a CIMA Passed finalist and also have a local degree in BSc Business Administration (Finance) with a minor in Accounting.
I started applying for jobs one month after my arrival but still struggling to find one.Firstly I applied for Finance jobs where I have lot of experience in but all of them got rejected because I don't have Australian Finance experience and knowledge about their Interest rates,policies,etc. One of my Accountant friends in Aus told me it would be more advantageous to do an Accounting job here since it can give me more career progress with my finance degree and CIMA qualification.Even I find it important to obtain my CIMA membership.With the Accounting educational qualifications and Sri Lankan experience in hand I switched in to applying for Accounting jobs.I'm currently applying for entry level Accounting jobs (Accounts receivable,Payable,Accounts Clerk,Assistant Accountant). Meantime I'm learning MYOB Premier 12+ trial version at home.
My question is why do you think all my applications are getting rejected?(Per day I apply for about 30 jobs)Is it because I'm applying through seek.com,other famous job search sites and advertisements of the Job agencies?Do Job agencies only select their registered Job seekers for those advertised jobs?I emailed more than 20 Job agencies(with my resume) asking them to register me but I never got a reply from them. How can I register with them?
Do you think indicating MY CIMA and degree qualification is an over qualification for the above mentioned entry level jobs I'm applying to? If so is it advisable to remove them from my CV and simply follow a bookkeeping/MYOB course to get the certificate.If so is Monash short courses acceptable same as TAFE?

Last edited by DPD83; May 28th 2009 at 1:31 am.
Old May 30th 2009, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entering the Accounting Job market in Australia (migrated CIMA Passed finalist)

I think your best bet is to pick up the phone and call the agencies rather than just email them. They can talk to you about the current market in Melbourne, what level you should be applying for with your background etc.

One months not that long to be looking, not with the job market the way it is presently.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 3:06 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Entering the Accounting Job market in Australia (migrated CIMA Passed finalist)

Originally Posted by NikiL
I think your best bet is to pick up the phone and call the agencies rather than just email them. They can talk to you about the current market in Melbourne, what level you should be applying for with your background etc.

One months not that long to be looking, not with the job market the way it is presently.
Thanks Nikil for your valuable advice. That's what I'm going to do now. Have you got any good Accounting resume formats I can follow.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DPD83
Thanks Nikil for your valuable advice. That's what I'm going to do now. Have you got any good Accounting resume formats I can follow.
Sorry, not really - I just gave my existing one to Robert Half and they did the rest for me! My understanding is that there is a focus on key achievements for resumes here, so it may well be worth listing some of those on it. Again, the agencies can give you a better steer on that than I can.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 12:16 pm
You will be mine in Hell.

Hellboy663 is on a distinguished road

Yours is not a unique situation. Here, local qualifications and experieince are very important things that employers look for. Unless you have a chartered qualification from another first world country like UK or Canada or a US CPA and experience in one of those countries, it will initially be difficult. Foreign trained accountants especially those from places like India, Sri Lanka or Pakistan even take 4-6 months to secure for a role even during booming times. The important thing however is to be persistent and go on applying. Instead of just emailing your resume, you could apply for a job and call the relevant consultant after that and ask to meet up with him. When you apply for positions, you have to look carefully at the requirements and mention your key achievements in relations to those requirements. Securing your first role may be difficult but subsequently, most of the accountants do well for themselves here.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

JOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hellboy663
Yours is not a unique situation. Here, local qualifications and experieince are very important things that employers look for. Unless you have a chartered qualification from another first world country like UK or Canada or a US CPA and experience in one of those countries, it will initially be difficult. Foreign trained accountants especially those from places like India, Sri Lanka or Pakistan even take 4-6 months to secure for a role even during booming times. The important thing however is to be persistent and go on applying. Instead of just emailing your resume, you could apply for a job and call the relevant consultant after that and ask to meet up with him. When you apply for positions, you have to look carefully at the requirements and mention your key achievements in relations to those requirements. Securing your first role may be difficult but subsequently, most of the accountants do well for themselves here.
I think your advice is correct, but I would say about 95%. I came from Kenya in 2007 and it took me a week to get a job. I have been able to change jobs even during the current market. But I am aware of guys from Africa/India who have taken almost a year to get a job.

My advice would be as follows;

1. As the above poster says, experience and education from a third world country is not automatically recognised. Every time I attend an interview they begin from where I began work in Australia, despite working with PwC in Kenya for three years. You will need to market yourself excessively. I am registered with most of the agencies and it has worked well for me. Register and follow up with phone calls. Accept the reality you are beginning life again, and you may lose your seniority.

2. If you can, enroll in a local qualification. It makes a difference. Domesticate your education.

3. Review your resume with your recruitment consultant. I have done this with three agencies and it has helped alot.

4. Do not fall into this trap that employers are racist and will not like you just because you a Sri Lankan - I know a few people who are believe so and I will always tell them that is the problem. Australia is not heaven but you will have a fair chance. I am black so take that from me.

5. Network, Network and Network. If you just hang out with your country men life will be hard. I believe I did not travel half the world to meet fellow Kenyans down under. Get involved in an activity that will expose you to some one who can help you. I once got a contract from a guy we met in a golf club. Believe in the goodness of human nature. Get to know footy and vegemite

Above all, be optimistic and positive about it. Do not lose hope. Many of us have been able to survive, and you will too.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 11:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JOE2010
I think your advice is correct, but I would say about 95%. I came from Kenya in 2007 and it took me a week to get a job. I have been able to change jobs even during the current market. But I am aware of guys from Africa/India who have taken almost a year to get a job.

1. As the above poster says, experience and education from a third world country is not automatically recognised. Every time I attend an interview they begin from where I began work in Australia, despite working with PwC in Kenya for three years. You will need to market yourself excessively. I am registered with most of the agencies and it has worked well for me. Register and follow up with phone calls. Accept the reality you are beginning life again, and you may lose your seniority.

2. If you can, enroll in a local qualification. It makes a difference. Domesticate your education.

3. Review your resume with your recruitment consultant. I have done this with three agencies and it has helped alot.

4. Do not fall into this trap that employers are racist and will not like you just because you a Sri Lankan - I know a few people who are believe so and I will always tell them that is the problem. Australia is not heaven but you will have a fair chance. I am black so take that from me.

5. Network, Network and Network. If you just hang out with your country men life will be hard. I believe I did not travel half the world to meet fellow Kenyans down under. Get involved in an activity that will expose you to some one who can help you. I once got a contract from a guy we met in a golf club. Believe in the goodness of human nature. Get to know footy and vegemite

Above all, be optimistic and positive about it. Do not lose hope. Many of us have been able to survive, and you will too.
Thanks a lot 4 u guys valuable advice. I'm trying so hard to get a job by every possible way i can but don't know whatz going wrong. May be this is not the right time for me
one reason can b that i dont have my CIMA memebership yet. But to obtain that i need more experience. Just in case I dont get atleast a volantary1 by the end of this year I'm thinking of going back to Sri Lanka to work there may be for another year to obtain my membership as I have to apply before 2011/2012. That way I will regain my lost courage and confidece too.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

Ramzi has a brilliant futureRamzi has a brilliant futureRamzi has a brilliant futureRamzi has a brilliant futureRamzi has a brilliant futureRamzi has a brilliant futureRamzi has a brilliant futureRamzi has a brilliant future

Hi Joe,

This is a very valuable advice for anybody.... you are so confident and positive who implants the same in others' mind.... Thanks....
Old Aug 27th 2009, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

yasirurocks is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Joe,I'm hoping to migrate from Sri Lanka too after finishing my CIMA exams and completing by mining engineering degree next year.What exams do I have to take to get CPA?can the exams be done online?what are the entry level jobs for fresh graduates without any work experience?
Old Aug 30th 2009, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

JOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really nice

I think you need an accounting degree to do CPA/CA.

My MBA classmates who came from an engineering/geologists background had it very easy get jobs as analysts in the resources sector, I think because of the diversity. I also think it would be easier to get a job as an engineer compared to an entry level job in accounting (and the pay could be better).

But again it depends with what you need to do with your career, and may be the state you go. Good luck.

(Entry level jobs for fresh graduates...mmmh...not sure but they tend to sit next to photocopiers
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by yasirurocks
Hi Joe,I'm hoping to migrate from Sri Lanka too after finishing my CIMA exams and completing by mining engineering degree next year.What exams do I have to take to get CPA?can the exams be done online?what are the entry level jobs for fresh graduates without any work experience?
If you have full CIMA membership by examination then CIMA/CPA have a mutual recognition agreement where you can gain CPA membership without exams.