Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

Is it easy to get a job with no OZ experience?

Is it easy to get a job with no OZ experience?

Old Jan 16th 2006, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

p63500sv8 has a spectacular aura aboutp63500sv8 has a spectacular aura aboutp63500sv8 has a spectacular aura about
Smile Is it easy to get a job with no OZ experience?

Hi

We are just at the selling the house stage and I am just wondering how many accountants found it easy to get a job without specific OZ experience?

I am 35 years old, AAT and ACCA qualified (6 pqe) and will be looking for a permanent FC or assistant FC role (depending on the size of the company) in the Brisbane area probably around May/June time and just wondered what lies ahead for me!

I spoke to a couple of recruitment consultants when we validated in October and they told me that getting a permanent job would be easier than a contract/temporary job, is this true?

Please let me know what experiences you have had.

I am seriously considering attempting the courses/exams to get full membership of the ICAA, given the effort/time this requires what do you think?

Many thanks

MichaelB
Old Jan 17th 2006, 12:48 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it easy to get a job with no OZ experience?

Originally Posted by p63500sv8
Hi

We are just at the selling the house stage and I am just wondering how many accountants found it easy to get a job without specific OZ experience?

I am 35 years old, AAT and ACCA qualified (6 pqe) and will be looking for a permanent FC or assistant FC role (depending on the size of the company) in the Brisbane area probably around May/June time and just wondered what lies ahead for me!

I spoke to a couple of recruitment consultants when we validated in October and they told me that getting a permanent job would be easier than a contract/temporary job, is this true?

Please let me know what experiences you have had.

I am seriously considering attempting the courses/exams to get full membership of the ICAA, given the effort/time this requires what do you think?

Many thanks

MichaelB
The market in Perth is incredible - they are so desperate you can almost name your price. I got a job within 9 days of ringing the first agency and could have had the pick of several if I had waited until after Xmas. I actually took a modest rate as it was with the best co in the state with great prospects and an immediate start.

Contract work is most likely when you arrive as it gives them chance to test you out. That works two ways of course. You may have to take a brief step-down, contract for a while but in my experience it quickly comes back to UK money.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 4:58 pm
Gold Member

skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond repute

It seems like not many accountants here...
Old Jan 19th 2006, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

p63500sv8 has a spectacular aura aboutp63500sv8 has a spectacular aura aboutp63500sv8 has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Is it easy to get a job with no OZ experience?

Hi Worzel

Thanks for that information.
Hopefully it's the same over in Brisbane.

Are you going to consider studying for an Oz accountancy qualification or is it not an issue at your work?

Many thanks

MichaelB
Old Jan 20th 2006, 4:27 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

From my experience in Newcastle and Brisbane it's was easy to get a job - I'm ACCA, however the Gold Coast is currently proving a bit trickier for me and the wages are somewhat lower.

When you get here contact the usual recruitment suspects - Hays, Hudson and so on, and they'll sort you out.

Rgds,

Paul.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 12:19 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by p63500sv8
Are you going to consider studying for an Oz accountancy qualification or is it not an issue at your work?
No chance! I am not going back to studying if I can help it. Unless you do a financial reporting type role I can't see it being any help.
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by worzel
No chance! I am not going back to studying if I can help it. Unless you do a financial reporting type role I can't see it being any help.
Hi
I was hoping that would be your answer!
I don't fancy more studying either.

We've sold the house now so hope to be there sometime in May once I've worked my notice. Don't intend to look for a job for about a month or so but will let you know how I get on.

Cheers for your help.

MichaelB
Old Mar 7th 2006, 4:14 am
Just Joined

Babykiss is an unknown quantity at this point

What documents do companies require for applicants WITHOUT OZ work experience/s? I'm also an accountant in my country.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 7:42 am
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by Babykiss
What documents do companies require for applicants WITHOUT OZ work experience/s? I'm also an accountant in my country.
Proof of residence (visa) and proof of qualification was all I needed for this job. Others wanted to see my driving licence. They took up references too.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 3:49 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lloyds TSB Share Registry

Looking for the chap who left Rustington and moved to Perth in Oct/Nov 2005.

Russell just hoping you landed on your feet okay mate. Heading over to Melbourne in a few weeks. Shane
Old Mar 9th 2006, 6:04 am
bru
Forum Regular

bru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by worzel
The market in Perth is incredible - they are so desperate you can almost name your price. I got a job within 9 days of ringing the first agency and could have had the pick of several if I had waited until after Xmas. I actually took a modest rate as it was with the best co in the state with great prospects and an immediate start.

Contract work is most likely when you arrive as it gives them chance to test you out. That works two ways of course. You may have to take a brief step-down, contract for a while but in my experience it quickly comes back to UK money.

How is the situation for Systems Accountants in Perth?

Is it worth to think of doing public practice? Bookkeeping + Systems work rather than joining a company? (not auditing and tax)