Direct entry to ICAA

Old Oct 13th 2007, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

ozorient will become famous soon enough
Question Direct entry to ICAA

Hi

I am an ACCA member and I have applied for migration to Australia. Once in Australia, I intend to become a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia (ICAA).

I have recently got an opportunity to prepare and sit for the US CPA exam (before migrating to Oz). If I pass the CPA exam and get a license from Colorado, would I be able to become a member of ICAA by direct entry i.e. without passing the Australian CA Program and doing the mentored experience?
Old Oct 13th 2007, 7:24 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Direct entry to ICAA

Originally Posted by ozorient
Hi

I am an ACCA member and I have applied for migration to Australia. Once in Australia, I intend to become a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia (ICAA).

I have recently got an opportunity to prepare and sit for the US CPA exam (before migrating to Oz). If I pass the CPA exam and get a license from Colorado, would I be able to become a member of ICAA by direct entry i.e. without passing the Australian CA Program and doing the mentored experience?
As the ICAA to confirm their special conditions for direct entry for U.S. CPAs, but as far as I know, once you have a practicing license from a U.S. state or territory that is sufficient. Colorado is a one-tier state so if you are a CPA in that state it should be enough.

CPA Australia makes reference to the 150 hour rule, but it may not be the same for ICAA.

You would still need to do tax/law bridging study and you may need to find some Australian CAs prepared to support your membership.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 6:08 am
Just Joined

Question Re: Direct entry to ICAA

Thanks JAJ for your reply.

I have two more questions relating to the above for which i could not find answers.

1. I have 5 years experience (outside the US) with two of the Big 4 firms. Would this experience be accepted by Colorado in lieu of the one year public accounting experience requirement?

2. Does the tax/law bridging study refer to the tax paper of the CA Program or the tax/law courses that have to be studied at the ICAA specified Universities?
Old Oct 15th 2007, 1:39 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozorient
Thanks JAJ for your reply.

I have two more questions relating to the above for which i could not find answers.

1. I have 5 years experience (outside the US) with two of the Big 4 firms. Would this experience be accepted by Colorado in lieu of the one year public accounting experience requirement?
If it's "public accounting" experience and signed off by a person whose qualifications are acceptable to the Colorado State Board it should be acceptable.

Or, if you have "150 hours" education, you may be able to apply for waiver of this.

2. Does the tax/law bridging study refer to the tax paper of the CA Program or the tax/law courses that have to be studied at the ICAA specified Universities?
Courses at accredited universities.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 5:51 am
Just Joined

Thanks very much for your reply
Old Oct 18th 2007, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

silentgear is an unknown quantity at this point

How long is the US CPA?

Plus, if one becomes a member of any other Chartered Body through exemptions i.e CA from ICAEW by getting exemptions after becoming an ACCA member would that help for direct entry to ICAA?
Old Oct 18th 2007, 10:22 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by silentgear
How long is the US CPA?
http://www.cpa-exam.org

Key elements are:
1. Getting accepted by a U.S. state board to sit the exam; and
2. Meeting the requirements post-exam for a CPA certificate or license (depends on state requirements).

If the aim is to get ICAA membership by mutual recognition, a CPA certificate won't do - you need a practicing licence from the relevant state. (although some states give this without public accounting work experience).

You can get lists of the state boards at http://www.nasba.org and http://www.aicpa.org

Plus, if one becomes a member of any other Chartered Body through exemptions i.e CA from ICAEW by getting exemptions after becoming an ACCA member would that help for direct entry to ICAA?
Exemptions are ok, but you would have to become an ACA through the standard examination route, not direct entry or mutual recognition.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 8:15 am
Just Joined

Unfortunately according to ICAA customer support, exemptions for ICAEW would be a problem in getting direct entry to ICAA membership.

My correspondence with ICAA:
Hello

I recently became an affiliate of The Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA, UK). I now, am going to transfer my credits to ACA from Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW).

ACCA Affiliates are given exemptions to the Professional Level Examinations. Following link provides the detail:
http://www.icaew.com/index.cfm?route=116712

Page 2 of the following link:
http://www.icaew.com/index.cfm?route=148554

ACCA Affiliates need to sit for the Advanced Level Examinations and complete the 3 years training contract i.e mentored work experience.

My question now would be that after I become a member of ICAEW through these exemptions, would i be eligible to apply for the membership of ICAA through direct entry?

Regards
Reply:
Thank you for your email. Please be advised that you would not be able to transfer your ICAEW membership to the ICAA as you did not gain your membership with ICAEW through the normal means of their study program. In order to become a member of the ICAA you would be required to complete the entire CA program. Please view the following link from the ICAA website for further information on the CA program.

http://www.charteredaccountants.com....red_accounting

Kind regards
Old Oct 19th 2007, 1:34 pm
JAJ
Retired

Unfortunately according to ICAA customer support, exemptions for ICAEW would be a problem in getting direct entry to ICAA membership.
Once again. There is a difference between exemptions (which would not cover the final exam stage) and direct entry.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

I do understand that. If i opt for ICAEW after becoming an ACCA affiliate, i would be claiming exemptions from the Professional Levels examinations and will NOT be going in as direct entry to ICAEW. I would have to sit for the Advanced Stage examination and fulfill the 3 years mentored work experience.

I did state all of this in my email to ICAA. But according to them:

...you would not be able to transfer your ICAEW membership to the ICAA as you did not gain your membership with ICAEW through the normal means of their study program.
I really can't understand what "normal means of their study program" means here. Does it mean that i'll have to sit for ALL the ICAEW exams without claiming exemptions, though i have already studied those in my ACCA?

?
Old Oct 19th 2007, 3:18 pm
JAJ
Retired

I do understand that. If i opt for ICAEW after becoming an ACCA affiliate, i would be claiming exemptions from the Professional Levels examinations and will NOT be going in as direct entry to ICAEW. I would have to sit for the Advanced Stage examination and fulfill the 3 years mentored work experience.

I did state all of this in my email to ICAA. But according to them:

I really can't understand what "normal means of their study program" means here. Does it mean that i'll have to sit for ALL the ICAEW exams without claiming exemptions, though i have already studied those in my ACCA?

?
It sounds to me like the person answering the email at ICAA doesn't understand what he or she is talking about. Exemptions from pre-final stages are perfectly normal as part of ICAEW qualification process.

Incidentally, the CA Program only equates to the final stage of ICAEW as most Australian students do an accounting degree first.

Sounds like you need to call up the ICAA and find someone who does understand what you're asking.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

Ok, I'll get in touch with them on the phone.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 5:09 am
Just Joined

Here's the reply again.

I have checked that the information I have previously provided to you is correct. If you receive exemptions from ICAEW then you will not be considered by ICAA as completing the entire ICAEW study program. Therefore you would be required to complete the entire CA program in order to gain membership with the ICAA.

Kind regards,
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 11:17 am
JAJ
Retired

Here's the reply again.
Regulation 209.2 of the ICAA membership regulations (available online) actually says:

"An applicant shall have been admitted to the overseas accounting body by the usual education and professional examination requirements, not by special recognition or any other mutual recognition agreement."

Nothing more you can do other than politely ask for the question to be addressed at a more senior level. Alan Collett is an Australian CA, maybe you could ask him to enquire on your behalf.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

I'll PM Alan Collett and ask if he could help me.

Last edited by silentgear; Oct 22nd 2007 at 2:39 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.