Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

Converting ICAS qualification to ICAA?

Converting ICAS qualification to ICAA?

Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

BDAloual is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Converting ICAS qualification to ICAA?

Has anyone converted their ICAS or ICAEW qualification to ICAA? I am ICAS qualified and will be moving to Sydney in September this year. I was going to get the ICAA qualification as I am assuming this will be a benefit when looking for jobs. I have found some information which says that to convert I have to take a tax and law exam. However, I cant find any information on how to go about actually doing this. I did e-mail the ICAA but they never replied.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 1:16 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Converting ICAS qualification to ICAA?

Originally Posted by BDAloual
Has anyone converted their ICAS or ICAEW qualification to ICAA? I am ICAS qualified and will be moving to Sydney in September this year. I was going to get the ICAA qualification as I am assuming this will be a benefit when looking for jobs. I have found some information which says that to convert I have to take a tax and law exam. However, I cant find any information on how to go about actually doing this. I did e-mail the ICAA but they never replied.
Have you done your ICAA skill assessment? They normally send out a list of accredited bridging courses when they assess you. After you do the tax/law study (the combined course at the University of Southern Queensland is popular) then you basically have a clear run at ICAA membership.

There are still a few formalities, like getting two ICAA members to propose you.

In the meantime, you can access many ICAA member services immediately because both ICAA and ICAS belong to the Global Accounting Alliance.
http://www.globalaccountingalliance.com
Old Jul 6th 2007, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

BDAloual is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, yes I did have my skills assessed by the ICAA, but that was about 4 years ago now, so I have probably lost the info they gave me at the time, especially as I have since moved countries. I received my visa two years ago and vaildated it then. Is it worth converting to ICAA from an employment point of view? It would be good to get the knowledge on Australian tax and law, but just wondering whether it would be an advantage in the job market.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 3:46 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BDAloual
Thanks, yes I did have my skills assessed by the ICAA, but that was about 4 years ago now, so I have probably lost the info they gave me at the time, especially as I have since moved countries.
Try this page from the ICAA website:
http://www.charteredaccountants.com....x_aud_2006.pdf

Your ICAA skill assessment is valid for 5 years. If it expires you may have to reapply for it, but if you already have Australian permanent residence, the cost should be lower (around A$50).

I received my visa two years ago and vaildated it then. Is it worth converting to ICAA from an employment point of view? It would be good to get the knowledge on Australian tax and law, but just wondering whether it would be an advantage in the job market.
My own feeling is that it would show your commitment to Australia, and most Australians like that.

It also means you could use the CA letters on your business card etc. and would be useful for professional networking.