confused..

Old Oct 23rd 2007, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

Riaa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default confused..

Hi, I have a q...im a indian chartered accountant working in the big 4 for the last 2 years...am planning to migrate to Australia soon, ws wondering....which wod be a better additional qualification....ICAA or CPA Australia? Both require giving 2-3 bridging exams...I beleive a 3 year mentored work ex for both these qualifications which cannot be waived...thanx..
Old Oct 25th 2007, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: confused..

CA rather than CPA seems to be the way to go from previous posts.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 10:55 am
clk
Just Joined

clk is an unknown quantity at this point

CA is definitely more prestigious be it in Aust or other parts of the British Commonwealth and not forgetting more reciprocal recognition as well in other countries.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 5:09 am
Just Joined

Ya but u cant gv the ICAA exams in the gulf...where i work...only cpa Australia exams can be given...its annoying to go to aus jst for the exams...also if i do ICAA it will be only 2-3 papers cause of my C.A degree...will i still be entitled to the Mutual recog with other associations...after all i thought u cant get MRA thru exemptions from the qual due to another qual...any suggestions??
Old Nov 5th 2007, 5:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Riaa
Ya but u cant gv the ICAA exams in the gulf...where i work...only cpa Australia exams can be given...its annoying to go to aus jst for the exams...also if i do ICAA it will be only 2-3 papers cause of my C.A degree...will i still be entitled to the Mutual recog with other associations...after all i thought u cant get MRA thru exemptions from the qual due to another qual...any suggestions??
As far as I am aware you will need to do the full CA Program as an Indian CA. Would you be eligible for mutual recognition in other countries: Yes in principle, but depending on the terms of the agreement you might be excluded if you do not have an Australian university degree.

I didn't think you could do the Australian CPA Program in the Gulf but I am open to correction - it's distance learning without the interactive element of the CA Program, so it may well be possible if you can arrange an exam centre.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 5:32 am
Just Joined

Thanx for ur reply..Nope...i checked, i only need to give 3 papers, they recognize the Inidan C.A...but ofcourse i need to do the three year mentored training period which i can get once i move to Aus under an Aus C.A...thats y im confused cause in both ICAA and CPA Aus i have only three papers to give...and the same training period...

Yes we can give CPA Aus in the Gulf, ive almost jst enrolled for it at well...and my university degree though in India has been assessed as comparable to the Australian uni degree...

But u cant gv the ICAA papers in the gulf...nt as yet though...
Old Nov 6th 2007, 4:19 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanx for ur reply..Nope...i checked, i only need to give 3 papers, they recognize the Inidan C.A...but ofcourse i need to do the three year mentored training period which i can get once i move to Aus under an Aus C.A...thats y im confused cause in both ICAA and CPA Aus i have only three papers to give...and the same training period...

Yes we can give CPA Aus in the Gulf, ive almost jst enrolled for it at well...and my university degree though in India has been assessed as comparable to the Australian uni degree...
In that case Australian CPA may well be the right option for you, as they waive the mentored experience requirement for certain overseas professionals, including Indian CAs:
http://www.cpaaustralia.com.au/cps/r..._HTML.htm#Full

There is still nothing to stop you doing the CA Program once you get to Australia, even if you are a fully qualified Australian CPA by then. Granted, the additional benefit of being a CA is limited once you are an Australian CPA, but the option is still there.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 6:12 am
Just Joined

Hey...thanx so much, i really didnt knw the mentored ex for indian c.a's ws waived...then ill surely do CPA...also heard its easier then C.A...i beleive there isnt much diff between C.A and CPA once u hv the experience...and im already an Indian C.A...in some small way tht may help wit the "chartered title"...thanx again..
Old Jan 18th 2008, 3:12 am
You will be mine in Hell.

Hellboy663 is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry but you said that Indian CA has MRA with Australian CA. Well this is news to me. As far as I know they only have MRA with about 6 bodies but Indian CA is not one of them. Its not mentioned anywhere in their website that they have MRA with Indian CA. I know someone who is an Indian CA here in Australia who had to do the entire CA course+ satisfy the mentor work experience. But I do know that you don't need to satisfy the 3 years mentor experience for CPA Australia if you are an Indian CA.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 3:25 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Hellboy663
I'm sorry but you said that Indian CA has MRA with Australian CA. Well this is news to me. As far as I know they only have MRA with about 6 bodies but Indian CA is not one of them. Its not mentioned anywhere in their website that they have MRA with Indian CA.
I think he's asking that if he becomes an Australian CA by doing the CA Program, would he be entitled to join other CA institutes by mutual recognition.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 4:55 am
You will be mine in Hell.

Hellboy663 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JAJ
I think he's asking that if he becomes an Australian CA by doing the CA Program, would he be entitled to join other CA institutes by mutual recognition.
Thanks Jeremy. I wasn't able to quite understand what he's saying.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

chandugitam has a brilliant futurechandugitam has a brilliant futurechandugitam has a brilliant futurechandugitam has a brilliant futurechandugitam has a brilliant futurechandugitam has a brilliant futurechandugitam has a brilliant future

What i have heard from other students in OUA is that CA is better if you are going into taxation or practise. On the other hand CPA is better for working in the industry(non tax).

You need to attend contact classes for CA which might be difficult if you are mobile. CPA is spending quite a good amount of money on advertising and PR making it more recognised in Asia-Pacific(NZ excluded).

I am open for correction.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 2:36 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by chandugitam
What i have heard from other students in OUA is that CA is better if you are going into taxation or practise. On the other hand CPA is better for working in the industry(non tax).

You need to attend contact classes for CA which might be difficult if you are mobile. CPA is spending quite a good amount of money on advertising and PR making it more recognised in Asia-Pacific(NZ excluded).

I am open for correction.
CA is a better qualification no matter what area you intend to work.

CPA is not recognised in a number of countries where CA is, including the United Kingdom, Canada and New Zealand.

It may well be more expensive to do CA, but most of those who undertake it have got the support of their employer.