British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Accountants (https://britishexpats.com/forum/accountants-87/)
-   -   CIMA or ACCA qualification in the USA? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/accountants-87/cima-acca-qualification-usa-665623/)

Ickle Apr 26th 2010 4:14 pm

CIMA or ACCA qualification in the USA?

My first post, and few questions :)

I am about to start the second year of, either CIMA or ACCA, and I wonder if anyone can tell me which is held in better regard in the USA?

To practice in industry as an accountant would I need to take the CPA exam if working in America?

Any info is welcome, as I'm trying to get as much info as possible, before I register for CIMA/ACCA.

Just as a foot note, I will have exemptions from the first year of either of the above, since I will finish my AAT studies in June.

Thanks in advance!

N1cky Apr 26th 2010 4:26 pm

Re: CIMA or ACCA qualification in the USA?

Originally Posted by Ickle (Post 8522467)

I am about to start the second year of, either CIMA or ACCA, and I wonder if anyone can tell me which is held in better regard in the USA?

To practice in industry as an accountant would I need to take the CPA exam if working in America?

Any info is welcome, as I'm trying to get as much info as possible, before I register for CIMA/ACCA.

Just as a foot note, I will have exemptions from the first year of either of the above, since I will finish my AAT studies in June.

Thanks in advance!

Neither are recognized in the US, I'm CIMA and no-one I have come across has heard of it. Job postings usually list requirement's as CPA or MBA for more senior roles.

JAJ Apr 27th 2010 1:03 am

The question is probably academic unless the original poster tells us the plan to get through the US visa/immigration system.

md shibli Sep 19th 2010 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Ickle (Post 8522467)

Thanks in advance!

Well in USA you got to adopt something of their own to be valued except u are a very experienced candidate...i.e. u need an US qualification .... I mean to say u can use your Acca qualification to get a top up in any degree that u would like to complete from USA. In order to get a job Just Cima or Acca wouldn't help:zzz:huh: