Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

changing sectors - impact on working abroad chanses

changing sectors - impact on working abroad chanses

Old Mar 17th 2006, 9:39 am
explorer

Cookie095 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default changing sectors - impact on working abroad chanses

Hello friends!

In the medium term I would like to leave UK for some time (may be permanently, not sure yet). But I think it will only happen in a 1 year time.

Meanwhile, I have a tempting job offer from independent UK trust (non-for profit organization, registered charity), which owes and manages about 50 private hospitals in Uk and Scotland, half a billion GBP turnover. Job pays noticably better than my current one, offers career prigression, good package overall, no travelling time to work (7 mins walk from my house). Job - to be part of a small team introducing activity based costing system across the group, assist in pricing, etc.

At the moment I am in a multinational engineering company servicing oil and gas industry with offices worldwide (project accounting, bits of management accounting, hyperion consolidations).
But I am not very happy about my job, no job satisfaction, not great management, lower than industry average pay, I am not happy. As for moving - it is good for engineeres but accounting staff do not get transferes.
I am not really keen on staying there for another 1-1.5 years before I go abroad

But my worry is the move to non-for profit sector. This health services sector is not that sexy, prestigious, dynamic. Is it going to reduce my marketability? Will the work in this sector reduce my chances of getting back into commerce later (not only in Uk but also abroad)? How work in such a sector will affect my chances of finding accounting job in countries like Aus, NZ?
I am not really sure if that would be the right move. But the job itself is what I like plus chance to make a good increase in my savings. But the sector and its impact on my Cv etc....

Anyone has any opinions, ideas?
I would highly appreciate any input.

Thank you very much.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

p63500sv8 has a spectacular aura aboutp63500sv8 has a spectacular aura aboutp63500sv8 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: changing sectors - impact on working abroad chanses

Hi

If you dislike your current job then go for it.
At least you know that in 12 to 18 months time you will be off to pastures new and will have gained valuable experience in that time.
I went from NHS to advertising to agriculture and am off to Oz next month so cannot comment on how this will affect you there.
HTH

MichaelB
Old Mar 17th 2006, 3:02 pm
explorer

Originally Posted by p63500sv8
Hi

If you dislike your current job then go for it.
At least you know that in 12 to 18 months time you will be off to pastures new and will have gained valuable experience in that time.
I went from NHS to advertising to agriculture and am off to Oz next month so cannot comment on how this will affect you there.
HTH

MichaelB
Hello Michael,
How easy or difficult was it for you to move from NHS to commerce (advertising)? Did you encounter any reservations from commerce employers?

As I said, I am a bit apprehensive to move to non-for profit/public sector because not sure the impact it will have on my future employment prespects for commerce jobs even in UK.

Thanks
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

NicCol is on a distinguished road

HI
I have spent all my career in the NHS, and I would say there are a lot of misconceptions about it. It is not easy, and extremely stressful, especially considering the current climate we are experiencing. I would say that a move to a not-for profit organisation would be a half way house. But I definitely feel restricted in my own marketability. This may be my own misgivings, but I think it would be near on impossible to get a job in industry. Having said that there are other options such as Education, Council, Charities etc.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 10:32 am
explorer

Originally Posted by NicCol
HI
I have spent all my career in the NHS, and I would say there are a lot of misconceptions about it. It is not easy, and extremely stressful, especially considering the current climate we are experiencing. I would say that a move to a not-for profit organisation would be a half way house. But I definitely feel restricted in my own marketability. This may be my own misgivings, but I think it would be near on impossible to get a job in industry. Having said that there are other options such as Education, Council, Charities etc.
Hello

After carefull considerations of all the pros and cons, I decided to reject the subject job offer. Some gut feeling told me - do not accept it.

So your reply only confirmed my worries.

Thanks
Old Apr 14th 2006, 11:50 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookie095
Hello

After carefull considerations of all the pros and cons, I decided to reject the subject job offer. Some gut feeling told me - do not accept it.

So your reply only confirmed my worries.

Thanks
Having moved between several industries I can say that despite people saying you need specific industry experience this is bollocks. Across all industries the common problems appear and all need staff who can think and react on their feet. You should be more concerned about ensuring you have transferable skills. My advice is look at the role not the position or industry.