Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

Best for Accountancy jobs Melbourne or Sydney?

Best for Accountancy jobs Melbourne or Sydney?

Old Dec 30th 2008, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

GUFF will become famous soon enough
Default Best for Accountancy jobs Melbourne or Sydney?

I am moving to Australia in about 6 months time and I can't decide to base myself in either Sydney or in Melbourne.

The chances of getting employment quickly would greatly influence this decision for me.
Are the job prospects greater in either city?

I am a qualified management accountant and have worked for a number of blue chip companies in London in several different industries. Ideally I would prefer a similar role in Australia.

I know this a fairly general question but as my knowledge of these 2 cities is somewhat limited I would appreciate any advice on this please.

thanks in advance,

Guffers
Old Dec 31st 2008, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Leedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Best for Accountancy jobs Melbourne or Sydney?

I worked in Melbourne on a 3 month contract in 2007.

I was on a WHV so I can't really say what it will be like to migrate, but I was talking with an Aussie friend before Xmas and the market is still strong. So hopefully it will still be good when I move in 2009

Being a management accountant should stand to you.

Try www.seek.com.au for jobs, but give yourself time to find the right position.

Did any of the companies you worked for have any Aussie branches (another option).

The place that was crying out for accountants in 2007 was Western Australia and they are willing to sponsor accountants for all areas of the region.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to rain on your parade, Leedelta, but I think the economic downturn has put paid to much of the demand for accountants in Oz, particularly in WA where the demand for natural resources is waning.

See this thread for example - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=575609.

If I were you, Guff, and didn't have any particular preference between Sydney and Melbourne, I'd base yourself in one or other only temporarily and try and get jobs in both and see what's out there, rather than make a decision between them beforehand.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

RCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud of

I am Melbourne based so can't comment specifically on the Sydney market. I have recently both found a job for myself and recruited for junior roles in the company I have just left.
The Melbourne market is very quiet and there are lots of good quality candidates (including quite a few Aussies returning from overseas) however there are still decent roles available for good quality candidates.
I gather that the same still applies in Sydney but there is more competition and relatively fewer roles.
I'd advise you to register with as many agencies as you can NOW and talk through your specific skills and experience with their UK-based International candidate managers.
I know Robert Walters, Michael Page, Hays and Robert Half all provide this service (I used them myself earlier this year).
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RCoight
I am Melbourne based so can't comment specifically on the Sydney market. I have recently both found a job for myself and recruited for junior roles in the company I have just left.
The Melbourne market is very quiet and there are lots of good quality candidates (including quite a few Aussies returning from overseas) however there are still decent roles available for good quality candidates.
I gather that the same still applies in Sydney but there is more competition and relatively fewer roles.
I'd advise you to register with as many agencies as you can NOW and talk through your specific skills and experience with their UK-based International candidate managers.
I know Robert Walters, Michael Page, Hays and Robert Half all provide this service (I used them myself earlier this year).
Thanks for the response RCoight this is good advice
I'll get in touch with some of those agencies.

I am curious if there are any notable differences in workings in finance in Oz
compared to Ireland/UK
in terms of office culture, attitute to work etc,
someone told me ozzie offices are more laid back and there is alot more drink
and swearing on the go!!???

I'd be interested to hear if you, LEEDELTA and Louie have any thoughts on this ??

best rgs,
Guff
Old Jan 5th 2009, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

Leedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the rough

I noticed that there was a better work/life balance in general. I think I worked o/t only once or twice, but I was on contract.

Laid back-wouldn't say so.

Office relationships were more informal than say Ireland. That would be manager/ senior level. Floor level relationships were the same.

In Melbourne a lot of office chat is about the Footy, so pick a decent team. A good opening line is to ask someone to explain the rules.

Drinking- after work drinks were popular most days plus lunchtime drinks on a Fri. Say dinner and a pot was about $9.

The financial year end is 30th June which takes a bit of getting used to after December year ends in this part of the world.

Best bit of advice, stick with your normal work ethic for a while then adjust the bits that are too rigid, that way you will be seen to adjust the the Australian work ethic.

With regards to agencies, they tend to keep in touch with candidates far better than Ireland!!

They return calls and deal with any issues you have. Big shock when I had to deal with them back here for the first time in years
Old Jan 5th 2009, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

RCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GUFF

I am curious if there are any notable differences in workings in finance in Oz
compared to Ireland/UK
in terms of office culture, attitute to work etc,
someone told me ozzie offices are more laid back and there is alot more drink
and swearing on the go!!???

I'd be interested to hear if you, LEEDELTA and Louie have any thoughts on this ??

best rgs,
Guff
I've spent barely 10% of my career in Australia so you may well wish to heed the opinion of someone who has more Australian experience than I.

I've basically not noticed any difference between Australia and the UK.

In my experience aussie offices are no more or less laid back, no more or less into drinking and no more or less profane.

It's perhaps worth me making 2 points.

1) I've always worked (whether in the UK, Australia or elsewhere) in environments with a high proportion of Brits, Aussies / Kiwis, and Indians / Pakistanis. If you are changing ethnic mix of your workplace as well as its location you may notice more of a difference.

2) I've actually noticed more differences across industries than countries ie I've worked in public sector and in media in both countries and I'd say (for example) the public sector jobs had more in common with each other than differences.

Last edited by RCoight; Jan 5th 2009 at 8:50 am. Reason: Being a mong!
Old Jan 7th 2009, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Leedelta
I noticed that there was a better work/life balance in general. I think I worked o/t only once or twice, but I was on contract.

Laid back-wouldn't say so.

Office relationships were more informal than say Ireland. That would be manager/ senior level. Floor level relationships were the same.

In Melbourne a lot of office chat is about the Footy, so pick a decent team. A good opening line is to ask someone to explain the rules.

Drinking- after work drinks were popular most days plus lunchtime drinks on a Fri. Say dinner and a pot was about $9.

The financial year end is 30th June which takes a bit of getting used to after December year ends in this part of the world.

Best bit of advice, stick with your normal work ethic for a while then adjust the bits that are too rigid, that way you will be seen to adjust the the Australian work ethic.

With regards to agencies, they tend to keep in touch with candidates far better than Ireland!!

They return calls and deal with any issues you have. Big shock when I had to deal with them back here for the first time in years

Cheers mate - good advice indeed especially about the footy.
You should get down to Oz pronto yourself mate. 1. You'll escape the freezing cold and 2. You wont be in Ireland to witness Kerry lose another all ireland !?
Old Jan 8th 2009, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

Ha Ha

We will have Tadgh Kennelly this year. He has left Sydney Swans and come home.

Should be a funny year for Kerry
Old Jan 10th 2009, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

Well as long as Dublin don't win it thats the main thing

When you are moving out to Australia? Are you going back to work in Melbourne again - is this your favourite city?
Old Jan 10th 2009, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

Well I will be applying for the 175 in March. I have to do the IELTS next week so I my appllication will be on the CSL

I would hope to be in Melbourne around Nov (Cup time).

When I was in Australia I spent about a month in Perth. It is a beautiful city, very clean and friendly but it lacked something.

I spent 3 days in Sydney, I can see why some peope land there and spend a lot of the WHV there. It has the feel of a capital city. But I went there after 5 months in Melbourne so I am biased.

Melbourne is my favorite city, it has a lot of cultural events (usually back to back), most bars have live music (I'm a musician as well as an accountant), lots of clubs, funky bars etc.

Most of all it has a vibe to it that I have only encountered in places like Prague and Cork.

Another funny point is that a lot of Australians never venture west so Perth for all purposes could be on the other side of the planet
Old Jan 11th 2009, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Leedelta
Well I will be applying for the 175 in March. I have to do the IELTS next week so I my appllication will be on the CSL

I would hope to be in Melbourne around Nov (Cup time).

When I was in Australia I spent about a month in Perth. It is a beautiful city, very clean and friendly but it lacked something.

I spent 3 days in Sydney, I can see why some peope land there and spend a lot of the WHV there. It has the feel of a capital city. But I went there after 5 months in Melbourne so I am biased.

Melbourne is my favorite city, it has a lot of cultural events (usually back to back), most bars have live music (I'm a musician as well as an accountant), lots of clubs, funky bars etc.

Most of all it has a vibe to it that I have only encountered in places like Prague and Cork.

Another funny point is that a lot of Australians never venture west so Perth for all purposes could be on the other side of the planet
Well best of luck with the application mate.
I'm starting to edge towards Melbourne myself the more I look into it
even though I actually have family in Perth. Just seems to be more going on there and is closer to other interesting places.
Where did you live in Melbourne ? Can you recommend any decent suburbs?
Old Jan 11th 2009, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

Cheers for the support

I lived in Leveson St, North Melbourne about 10 min walk from the Queen Vic Markets, 30 minutes from Bourke St/CBD.

Shared a large house with all kinds of oddballs. Kinda "No Questions Asked" place, had the police to my door twice

Look it up on Google Earth. Very good tram system in CBD area plus metro. You are only 45 mins from city to countryside.

St Kilda is a good spot, Carlton is nice. Maybe try the "update" section of the forum for a better idea of suburbs.

Some places look for a bond on the rental, which is in effect a deposit usually a couple of hundred to a thousand dollars.

Me. I'm single so anyplace with a good bed,shower and kitchen will suit

A tip is to get a YHA card for the year, hostel it for a while. The YHA in Queensberry st is $30 a night. You save about $5 a night with the card. Look around from there.

My plan is to do this until I find a decent location, then jobhunt. Also YHA are cleaned daily so little chance of bedbugs!!

Do not discount Perth, if you have family its a plus. There are lots of outdoor activities and a very chilled out vibe to the city.

There was lots of accountancy jobs but the mining industry has been hit so can't really comment on the current situation.

Melbourne suited me because of my musical leanings.

Check out both and see which suits you better. Jetstar fly between both for about $400 return.

When are you thinking of heading out?
Old Jan 11th 2009, 8:19 am
An Irish navvy

38141 is a jewel in the rough38141 is a jewel in the rough38141 is a jewel in the rough38141 is a jewel in the rough

Are there any other places in melbourne where someone could camp before finding a longer term place?

Last edited by 38141; Jan 11th 2009 at 8:32 am. Reason: correct vocab
Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

Lots of hostels and hotels around melbourne.

Some people have mentioned Quest apartments, very pricey if you are on your own, but not too bad if there is a group/family.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.