Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

ACCA- Wanting to do bachelors from AUS

ACCA- Wanting to do bachelors from AUS

Old Aug 20th 2007, 9:20 am
Just Joined

asadkhalid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ACCA- Wanting to do bachelors from AUS

There was this question in my mind and i wanted to clear it out. What if i have cleared all my ACCA papers (not fulfilled the work experience requirement) and have the Oxford Brooks Bsc Degree in hand and want to start my bachelors from an AUS university?

Now the question is will i need to spend the entire 3 years again for my bachelors or my ACCA/ Oxford Brooks degree help me to give me some exemptions?

CA (ICAA) is my ultimate aim and i don't want to spent 3 years fulfilling the ACCA work experience to start my CA. Prior to ACCA, i have done my Alevels.

Last edited by asadkhalid; Aug 20th 2007 at 9:26 am.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

oksana21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ACCA- Wanting to do bachelors from AUS

All university in Australia differ, I tried to research into this area, you may get some exemptions but not many if any at all (I wouldn’t expect the exemptions would be worthwhile, i.e. even 6 months worth is unlikely) , i also doubt you'd find any official guidance on this... i.e. universities assess this on a case by case basis. From the info that i was looking into this route does not lead anywhere (time consuming/expensive/inefficient).

If you finished your A-levels maybe you can be admited to the uni on that baisis and there is no need to do ACCA (but 3 yrs would be expensive)

If your ultimate aim is ICAA then I don’t see why you want to do another bachelor in Oz (Australia)??? As far as I know membership to the ACCA allows you to admit (although not sure how that would work if you don’t have any work experience). Also the bachelor from oxford brooks may allow you admission but don’t quote me on this, check the ICAA website.

Thought of doing a Masters in oz?? Shorter then bachelor and if you choose the course carefully it might "guarantee" you the admission to ICAA, I’ve got my ACCA finals results today (whopieee) and this is the route I am going to take, for different reasons tough -> .. one year of care-free student life in Sydney that'll be sooo amazing!

Your post is a bit unclear; describing your situation in more detail might give you a clearer response...

So you've just finished your A-levels and are planning to do the ACCA in your country before going to Oz?? (Did I understand you correctly??) If that’s the care why don’t you try to get onto a training contact, i.e. this way you obtain work experience at the same time as studying and this is the normal route, this was you are likely to move to Oz on a PR.

Wishing you lots of luck

Oksana
Old Aug 21st 2007, 2:28 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oksana21
If your ultimate aim is ICAA then I don’t see why you want to do another bachelor in Oz (Australia)??? As far as I know membership to the ACCA allows you to admit (although not sure how that would work if you don’t have any work experience). Also the bachelor from oxford brooks may allow you admission but don’t quote me on this, check the ICAA website.
A bachelors degree in accounting, or ACCA membership, normally allow access to the CA Program subject to doing tax/law bridging study.

But the CA Program must still be passed and mentored work experience obtained.

Thought of doing a Masters in oz?? Shorter then bachelor and if you choose the course carefully it might "guarantee" you the admission to ICAA,
I am not aware of any masters degree giving exemption from the CA Program.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ

I am not aware of any masters degree giving exemption from the CA Program.
No not exemption, what i meant was allow entry.

Although if you did a masters in taxation (one that is specifically listed on the ICAA's website and do the specifically required units) then an exemption from the tax paper is granted.

Last edited by oksana21; Aug 21st 2007 at 11:33 am.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 5:05 am
Just Joined

Sorry for the late reply. First of all, GL to Oksana for the results! Anyways, its already out, so how was it?

I'll clear things out for you. I am currently doing my ACCA. I'll complete my ACCA papers in 2 more attempts. But keep in mind i won't become a member of ACCA in DEC '09 because i haven't fulfilled my work experience requirement. Plus i did opt for the Bsc from Oxford brooks so i'll get that. So in light of all this will i be able to get into the CA program right after completing my ACCA papers?

What if i go for the 'Masters in tax' route? How long is that?

And also, won't it be hard to work and appear for the papers simultaneously? Did you do it like that? Is it realistically possible? Like spending 6-8 hrs in the office, going to a tuition provider and then self studying all in one day?

Thanks alot for the help.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Wink Re: ACCA- Wanting to do bachelors from AUS

Hi Asadkhalid,

Thank you, i've passed all so am very pleased ! now only need to stick out at work for two more months to become a member and write ACCA after my name Did yours go well?

Re' your question, yes it is realistically possible to work and do the ACCA papers at the same time, in fact the qualification is designed for this and I do not know of anyone who has not done it this was. I was lucky as my employer provided study support i.e. I get time off work when going to classes (apx 4 days course and 4 days revision per paper) but most other people would do it in their holidays or through evening and weekend courses.

The Masters in tax offered by the University of Sydney is very short, i.e. only 8 units which takes one year. However in your circumstances I would not recommend this option. The reason for this is that you will have all these wonderful qualifications and no work experience, hence you'd be overqualified for a low position job but under qualified for a higher position, and the reality is that you will be left with no job! It's sad and in some ways not fair, but its best to be warn now then to be stuck later. Furthermore doing this course does not give you any additional points for immigration purposes at all (because it is not of a 2 year duration).

Firstly i would check whether you meet requirements for a permanent resident application, i think a lot of the guidance for the September changes is already available... (have you sat the IELTS test? if not make sure you take it and get a score of at least 7 this will give you additional points)...

Secondly, you could try to find a graduate position at an Australian firm and hence go through the sponsored route.

Thirdly, consider the regional schemes for which the immigration criteria is lower.

Lots of Luck!!!

P.s. 6 hrs day is like part time lol, during busy season (Jan-March) 12hrs days happen very often... and being nearly qualified they seem to "happen" more and more

Also when will you get your Bsc ?
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

I also passed three of my papers. Thank you for asking.!

The problem is that where i'm from things are a little different as compared to UK. I'm from Pakistan, btw. When my alevels finished i tried to get a training contract with some firms and they said that i should complete my papers first and then come to them for the contract. They found me under qualified. So therefore I started off with my papers.

Secondly, you could try to find a graduate position at an Australian firm and hence go through the sponsored route.
Can you elaborate on that? How can i find a graduate position? And would any Australian firm be willing to sponsor me?

Plus, i'll be getting the BSC degree soon. I have almost completed the project.

How many papers did you appear in one attempt? 4 papers per attempt?

P.s. 6 hrs day is like part time lol, during busy season (Jan-March) 12hrs days happen very often... and being nearly qualified they seem to "happen" more and more
When did you study then? I currently go to a tuition provider from 4pm-7pm every day! I don't knw how it will work if i go to work as well?

Thanks alot for the help!

Cheers,
Asad
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Asad,

As i said the courses are taught very intensely, just 4 days taught course plus 4 days revision per paper anything else i did on the weekend etc i've mentioned the training i went through in another path http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=458893
I appreciate the structure where you are is very different, and in many ways i was very lucky.

Unfortunately i have no experience in getting a graduate job, hence can only give you very limited information and i really don’t know your prospects going down this route, all i can say that it is worth looking into and a try won't harm:

What i meant was to look at job advertisements, there are some "entry level" graduate positions, these are for individuals who have completed their degree but have no work experience, look through job adverts e.g. Mycareer or Seek and have a look whether there is anything suitable for you... The majority require you to have appropriate visa but there may be some who do not, i'd imagine capital cities like Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane will be very competitive so you'll have better chances if you looked for jobs in more remote areas. If your motivation is high enough and you invest time and patience i think it is possible to find an employer who may sponsor you (but it will be hard work finding someone).

So if you study for 3 hrs a day, what do you do with the rest of the day????

If i was in your shoes i'd get the degree ASAP, then make applications to job adverts where you think you'd have a chance, if you're lucky by the time you finish ACCA you'd have a positive response from someone.

Regards

Oksana